• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Crazy Tex

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Forgive me if this is not the place for this... however I couldn't really figure out where it would go.

Ok... I got my hands on an old homemade log splitter that was run by a gasoline engine and hydraulic pump... both were shot... I have access to tractors around here so I was going to convert it to where it hooked to the tractors hydraulics.. The ram moves freely and I got the control box working... but I made a mistake.. I didn't pay attention to where the hoses came from and went when I disassembled it...

Here is a picture I did in Paint with the ports as they are labeled... if anyone has any hydraulic experience... help!
ControlBox.jpg

a real pic would help, but usually the one nearest the load is retract, and opposite end is extend, with a little research i can maybe find an answer. ill look threw some of my school stuff and see if i can find a diagram. i took a pneumatics and hydraulics course

Ask and ye shall receive. LOL

I dont know how good this is gonna show up, the only camera I have really is my phone ...

controlbox.jpg

From what I understand tractor hydraulics operate at a lot less pressure than say a motor and pump mounted on your splitter. An 8 horse motor and pump will split wood better(more force) than a tractor. Not saying they don't work.

Take a look at the typical hydraulic circuit below.
This should give you a starting point.

the two connections beside each other (A&B) most likely go to your ram. One of the others goes to your pump, and one to the reservoir.

Attachments

• Hydraulic_circuit_directional_control.jpg
    Hydraulic_circuit_directional_control.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 47
From what I understand tractor hydraulics operate at a lot less pressure than say a motor and pump mounted on your splitter. An 8 horse motor and pump will split wood better(more force) than a tractor. Not saying they don't work.

They actually work quite well. My Dad has a 3 pt hitch splitter that he uses and its split a LOT of wood.

Also... to convert this, since I have access to tractors, which already have an engine and a pump.. its cheaper. All I need to do is get some new hoses and couplers... not a new pump, tank, filter, engine..
Would I like to have a gas powered splitter.. well, sure! That way I wouldn't have to borrow a tractor from the neighbors..not that they mind, they'll be using the splitter too I'm sure...
Not trying to re-invent the wheel... just making life easier. :-D

Back