Irish food for festivals?

midnight

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Ok, I know this isn't a bbq question but I have hit a mental block and need some ideas. I am doing a food booth for our local Celtic Faire and have been asked to supply at least one authentic Irish/ Scottish food. Has anyone been to this type of event before? And if so what kind of food do they have? It needs to be something that can be prepared easily and served to the masses.

I thought about Scotch eggs but after a few test runs I have decide they are too much trouble to do in a large quantity.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated!

I have an Irish Pub Cookbook at home...I'll check it and see if there is anything "that can be prepared easily and served to the masses". I've made a Seafood Chowder from the book that is fantastic...but its probably not cold enough for that.

Per a quick google search it sounds like my Irish cousins are fans of the grill too...
"Not only does Ireland know all about real barbecue but they buy gas and charcoal grills at a rate that has attracted the business of manufacturers all over the world. Virtually any grill or smoker you can buy in the United States can be bought on the Emerald Isle. With one of the fastest growing economies in Europe the Irish are hitting the patio and they are grilling."

Irish stew, bangers and mash (sausage and mashed potatos), corned beef sammie, fish and chips, pasties...shall I continue? Worked in an Irish Pub for many years...not in the kitchen, but that's where I spent my time eating!!

Boxty, Colcannon, Beef and Guinness stew, Champ with smoked salmon

I just vacationed in Ireland you can't go wrong with any of that.

If it is in the fall I would do either a smoked lamb stew of some kind and serve it in a bread bowl or chopped smoked corned beef sanwich on potato bread.

Buy corned beef whole brislets from Rest Depot and smoke. Core your cabbage, stuff with butter, sprinkle with rub, wrap in foil and throw in smoker. Heat some new potatoes, add a slice of soda bread to the plate and charge $7.00

Buy corned beef whole brislets from Rest Depot and smoke. Core your cabbage, stuff with butter, sprinkle with rub, wrap in foil and throw in smoker. Heat some new potatoes, add a slice of soda bread to the plate and charge $7.00

OK. 2 please.

Ok, I know this isn't a bbq question but I have hit a mental block and need some ideas. I am doing a food booth for our local Celtic Faire and have been asked to supply at least one authentic Irish/ Scottish food. Has anyone been to this type of event before? And if so what kind of food do they have? It needs to be something that can be prepared easily and served to the masses.

I thought about Scotch eggs but after a few test runs I have decide they are too much trouble to do in a large quantity.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated!

Meat pies were a big hit at the highland games here in Colorado, Fish and chips as well, In fact I had the fish and chips just to have something diffrent at at festival and my wife had the meat pies 2 weeks ago, made me stop and think of how this might go over at a BBQ contest in vending...

Scotch egg fatties
BBQ sauce made with Guinness

Most common thing over here are..
Chips (thick french fries) and gravy ( curry sauce)

Beef and onion pies- use cheap deep muffin tins and puff pastry filled with cooked ground beef and onions.

Serve wrapped in paper.

Scotch egg fatties
BBQ sauce made with Guinness

Most common thing over here are..
Chips (thick french fries) and gravy ( curry sauce)

Beef and onion pies- use cheap deep muffin tins and puff pastry filled with cooked ground beef and onions.

Serve wrapped in paper.
Pffft...what do you know about British food? :biggrin:

Back