oink
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-15-2014, 12:00 AM   #16
mikemci
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doog View Post
Thanks for all the replies!
I will dig my welder out and find some expanded metal. And fab something decent up.
The only expanded metal I have found was a 4' x 5' sheet for 49.99 or 4' x 8' for 79.00 which would be way to much for just one.
I get all my steel needs at a metal salvage yard and pay by the lb. Expanded metal is like $.40 lb. You might see if you have one locally.
red Thermapen

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to eat for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
mikemci is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-15-2014, 01:41 AM   #17
retired trucker
is One Chatty Farker

You can go to Lowes, or Home Depot and get sheets of the lighter gauge stuff and just bend it around a tree, or a propane tank and wire it together over a charcoal grill. Made my second one like that and it is still going strong after 2 years.

Blessings,

Omar

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-15-2014, 08:37 AM   #18
dabirdz
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doog View Post
Dabirdz
Thank you for the offer! It would be fun!!
I have pretty much all the parts I need to make a UDS. My stumbling blocks right now are what type of basket, and what type of wheels to put on it or use a hand cart to move it.

Theboz1419
I would just as soon get the welder out if I make a basket. It kind of gives me some practice.

i found an old 22.5 charcoal grill on clean up day, and mounted mine inside that.

dabirdz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-15-2014, 08:59 AM   #19
AussieMatt
is one Smokin' Farker

Doog,

I just got my wheels from Harbor Freight. Blue rubber with locks for maybe $3.50 each.

Matt

Old 06-15-2014, 01:30 PM   #20
seattlepitboss
is one Smokin' Farker

I disagree with the 'bend it around the tree' approach unless you are completely clueless with tools. A few minutes with a sheet metal roll and a small MIG welder set up to run GMAW (hard wire with gas shield) gave me a basket I can be proud of.

Thanks from: --->
Old 05-15-2015, 04:35 PM   #21
harripooner
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlepitboss View Post
I disagree with the 'bend it around the tree' approach unless you are completely clueless with tools. A few minutes with a sheet metal roll and a small MIG welder set up to run GMAW (hard wire with gas shield) gave me a basket I can be proud of.

Nice basket!! Did you set up the MIG for the thicker metal and then lap onto the expanded? Is that 16 GA expanded? I'm a relative newb with the welder and can imagine burn through is a big issue with welding the expanded metal. Anyways. realize this is super old, but wanted to post. BBQ on!!!

Old 05-18-2015, 06:48 AM   #22
swamprb
somebody shut me the fark up.

Get serious with your firebasket and get a Vortex!

http://www.hunsakersmokers.com/produ...ex-fire-basket

Thank me later!
KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-18-2015, 07:34 AM   #23
Mr.OiSat
Take a breath!

Looks almost like my basket, I use a piece of perforated metal on a grate and it works perfectly.
Mr.OiSat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-18-2015, 09:14 AM   #24
80DGY
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

i used an old stainless stockpot i got for a dollar at the tip and drilled a heap of holes in the bottom and went round the sides with a 1" hole saw, bolts in the bottom to hold it up and she's apples :D
80DGY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-18-2015, 09:18 AM   #25
Kack
On the road to being a farker

I cut up a metal shopping cart and used the wire basket.
Kack is offline   Reply With Quote