Prime Rib>> Which Cooker of mine to use??

Whooey

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
I bought a 8lb prime rib for Christmas, out of my cookers which one would you use?

-14" WSM
-22" WSM
-22" Weber Kettle with Slow N Sear/Drippin' griddle
-PK Grill (classic)
-Horizon Smoker (offset) 20 RD Special

I am struggling with which one to give the nod to.

Thanks!

1) 22" Kettle indirect to *110 and then direct sear
2) WSM low n slow til internal temp 110* and then sear the heck out of it on the PK.

Just my $.02. :)

Thank you for the replies guys. :)

I see you in Jax, I'm in Gainesville.

I have the same Horizon. So... Out of those choices... Horizon! I would run around 300 and have it about 1/3 of the way from the right (closer to the firebox). Spritz and flip 180 about every 30-45 minutes. Obviously, run a clean fire, but that cut can handle a little dirty burn. I'm jealous that you are in Florida! I'm in Nebraska with the exact same dilemma. I can't babysit the Horizon because of temp. So, I'm going with either the drum or pellet!

Oven / No peek

I have a big assortment of cookers in the back yard also. 22” weber , weber performer, big offset and an xl bge. But for the last 10 years our tradition is a 7 rib full prime rib in oven where you cook at 500* for 5 minutes per lb. house gets all Smokey and smelling right then you turn the oven off for several hours and don’t open door. The residual heat in oven cooks roast to a perfect medium rare. You can Google exact method. Easy way to cook a great roast !!

My vote goes to the offset. I've done prime rib on the 22" Weber, the UDS and the Meat Monster. The offset produced the best flavor. I live in the Midwest and if the weather gets too cold to tend the offset, I'll use the UDS. But all of them produce great results.

Back