Prime Rib vs Prime Rib first world problems

Rockinar

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I bought some prime rib for immediate family on Christmas day. Bought a RR Ranch from SRF. It's Choice grade, but was was like $175. Not sure if I paid for quality or name.

Today Im at the store and spot these nuggets. Can't resist, PRIME, prime rib. Even better! I grab two of them. 4 bones total today @ $120.

Now I have decisions to make.

I dont really need both of these and will probably cook one for the inlaws Christmas Eve potluck dinner.

Which one should they get? The more expensive choice grade RR Ranch, or the cheaper but "better" HEB Prime?

1e3om9.jpg

It's been my experience in life that you usually get what you pay for. If it were me I'd give the in-laws the cheaper cut or whichever costs less per pound.

I would look beyond the grade, and look at the aging process. I am guessing RR one is going to have a stronger beef flavor, just because it is aged longer, than the majority of store beef. Might not have quite as much fat, but that really isn't a problem with prime rib.

It's been my experience in life that you usually get what you pay for. If it were me I'd give the in-laws the cheaper cut or whichever costs less per pound.

That's the thing. The "lesser quality" one was actually quite more expensive.

I would look beyond the grade, and look at the aging process. I am guessing RR one is going to have a stronger beef flavor, just because it is aged longer, than the majority of store beef. Might not have quite as much fat, but that really isn't a problem with prime rib.

The RR Choice is aged. The HEB Prime is not. So it's possible the Choice could be better than the Prime...

• Thanks
Reactions: EdF
That's the thing. The "lesser quality" one was actually quite more expensive.
That's probably why it cost more because it was aged. You cant go wrong either way. The in-laws should be happy they are getting prime rib and not pork chops. :p

eenie meenie miney mo... I don't think it matters as long as you and your family will eventually partake in both of them, bottom line both should be excellent.

I got some free RR steaks with a brisker order last year. They were out of this world good...much better than the prime steaks I have access to here.

Both will benefit from removing them out of the cryo and doing a short dry age.

Hard to tell which one looks better from the pics.

Back