Heading to Austin Thursday

Kaptain Kadian

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I am heading to Austin Thursday and eating dinner and lunch the next day. I went to Franklin last time and my brother is wanting to go to Louie Mueller Friday for lunch. Has anyone eaten it lately? Is it still good? We are thinking about going to Stiles Switch BBQ & Brew for dinner Friday. Any input is welcome.

Louie Mueller was pretty good when I was there in October. Thursday, try to hit Bangers Sausage house, they have live bands on Thursday. When I was there it was packed, couldn't find parking anywhere close. Heard Terry Black's is also pretty good, but didn't get a chance to try it. Have heard good things about Stiles Switch as well.

Another option in Austin is Terry Black’s, pretty dang good plus open in the evening.

Isn't La Barbecue there also? They are supposed to be amazing.

I've lived in Austin twice and have eaten there a few times. I haven't been impressed in the last year at all when I've been back to visit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you mean Louie Mueller's then 'Yes' it is still open (just ate there 2 weeks ago) but it's in Taylor TX about 30 minute NE of Austin. If you mean John Mueller Meat Co. I believe so - he has a food trailer at 2500 E. 6th St. If you mean the daughter LeAnn Mueller then it is LA Barbecue at 902 E Cesar Chavez. Enjoy!

Louie Mueller is great for the nostalgia and I love that place. Just sit there and eat and look around at the smoke stained walls, buy some new swag. But as far as the BBQ. It's just simple old school BBQ, nothing fancy but still good. Like the Lockhart joints. It's not an Austin hipster joint so it wont be a total clusterf**k with an hour long line of college kids who dont know a pork rib from a beef rib.

If you mean Louie Mueller's then 'Yes' it is still open (just ate there 2 weeks ago) but it's in Taylor TX about 30 minute NE of Austin. If you mean John Mueller Meat Co. I believe so - he has a food trailer at 2500 E. 6th St. If you mean the daughter LeAnn Mueller then it is LA Barbecue at 902 E Cesar Chavez. Enjoy!
Louie Mueller in Taylor

Valentina’s!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Styles Switch has a number of 1,000 gallon Moberg Smokers that I would love to see in action!

Valentinas for the breakfast taco - The Real Deal Holyfield. Or their beef fajitas. And their normal bbq (brisket, pulled, ribs, etc) is also incredibly good.

They don't server beer but there's a gas station next door and you can BYOB. Worth a visit!

Black Box in Georgetown, Tx is another Mueller. Good stuff.
I'm sad to hear La BBQ is going down hill. I liked it more than Franklin's but i haven't been there since their famous pit master left.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Was at Louie Mueller's last year and it was fantastic. John Mueller Black Box as well. Was at Stiles Switch a few years back near their closing time, and the stuff they had kinda leftover at the end of the evening was better than what a lot of places have all day long.

Stiles switch and Terry blacks are both consistently great. Micklethwait also great. The switch near dripping springs is a spin off of stiles switch. Brand new in a great space and pretty empty most times.

I had Valentinas for the first time a month or so ago and it was excellent.

I haven't eaten at Louie Mueller in a few years but I've had his food at sxsw (and spoke with Wayne for like 30 min!) Last two years.

Another fan of Stiles Switch. Great food made by some real cool guys.

If you go to Louie Mueller get the damn beef rib. It's all you need to know. The jalapeño sausage is excellent (not so much for the regular sausage) grab a slice of cheddar, some crackers, pickles and onions to make lil' hor d'oeuvres, you won't be disappointed.
The brisket is really good as long as you like black pepper. The rest of the menu isn't really that good IMO. I go at least 2-3 times a year and it's consistently the same. Best beef rib in the business, killer jalapeño sausage, really good peppery brisket. Forget about everything else on the menu.

IMG_8676.jpg

If you go to Louie Mueller get the damn beef rib. It's all you need to know. The jalapeño sausage is excellent (not so much for the regular sausage) grab a slice of cheddar, some crackers, pickles and onions to make lil' hor d'oeuvres, you won't be disappointed.
The brisket is really good as long as you like black pepper. The rest of the menu isn't really that good IMO. I go at least 2-3 times a year and it's consistently the same. Best beef rib in the business, killer jalapeño sausage, really good peppery brisket. Forget about everything else on the menu.

View attachment 166306
Yes, the beef ribs are why we are going.

Oh yeah, I forgot to agree with the several other places mentioned; Valentina's is really good, Tex-Mex flair to BBQ. Terry Black's is really good, consistent BBQ available all day and still have evening hours (hard to find that). Stiles Switch is good all around, and lucky you they are having their annual Xmas event, "12 days of smoked meats" with a different special every day. Some pretty amazing stuff depending which day you go. La Barbecue was really good last time I went, but it was a year and a half ago when they were still in a trailer. Mickelthwait is pretty damn good, it's a tiny trailer right up the street from Franklin. Too many choices in that area of TX. (Louie Mueller for the beef rib is my #1 pick though).

Back