MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-14-2018, 02:09 PM   #1
Levergun
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Yoder Wichita or the good one Marshall???

Been lurking here for a while, learned a lot from you all! Been cooking on XL green egg for 10 plus years but have had requests for cooks from friends, neighbors and referrals some need something that can produce more than just a few briskets or racks of ribs at a time. The egg has been great, so which would should I invest in!!??!! Inquiring minds want to know, have narrowed it down to these 2 because they close by as I am temporarily in the tulsa ok area for a while.
Thanks....
Levergun is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-14-2018, 02:32 PM   #2
Joshw
Babbling Farker

Don't know much about either of them, but one is a stick burner, the other is charcoal. Which one would you rather work with?
Joshw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-14-2018, 02:36 PM   #3
rwalters
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Robb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshw View Post
Don't know much about either of them, but one is a stick burner, the other is charcoal. Which one would you rather work with?
Yep, once you answer that question, you'll have your answer :)

Personally, as much as I love stick burners, I have learned from experience that I simply do not have the time necessary to manage one.

Personally, I'd pick the GO Marshall. It's a beast, and will allow you to go for extended periods of time with little to no intervention (once dialed in).

Both will produce phenomenal food! :)
Come follow my adventures on Instagram: @rwaltersbbq
rwalters is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 08-14-2018, 02:41 PM   #4
Levergun
Knows what a fatty is.

I am good with either stick or lump, been around both for yrs. Thats what makes it tough to decide, GO Marshall has thinner metal and more room, loaded Wichita has thicker metal but a little less room...fun times either way I think.

Old 08-14-2018, 02:51 PM   #5
Smokey Lonesome
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Bill

Lots of cooking real estate in the Marshall plus direct grilling area.

The secret of success is to do the common things uncommonly well. - John D. Rockefeller
Smokey Lonesome is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-14-2018, 02:52 PM   #6
Lomey
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Mike

Look at the American Barbecue Systems smokers. Local KC company. I have the All Star and love it.

http://www.americanbarbecuesystems.c...-products.html
Lomey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-14-2018, 08:29 PM   #7
SmoothBoarBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Donnie

Don't waste your time with the Wichita. Quite a few threads around here talking about the problems and with those smaller Yoder offsets... not to mention their arrogance with how they handled the situation.

Good One Marshall looks pretty good. I'd also recommend checking out the Old Country Brazos as a solid stick burner for a good price. As others have said stick burning is kind of a way of life compared to a charcoal cooker.

Old 08-14-2018, 08:30 PM   #8
IXL
is one Smokin' Farker

Horizon Smokers builds them over on Perry, Oklahoma. Bell Fab builds them in Tulsa.

....just to keep you from having an easy decision.......
IXL is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 08-14-2018, 08:41 PM   #9
patrickd26
Full Fledged Farker

I sold my Wichita and bought a Horizon. Total night and day airflow. However, I'm still a huge Yoder fan. I have a YS640 that I bought after upgrading from a YS480. Horizon all day if I had to choose between these two for an offset. The only downside is that I don't have a second shelf on the Horizon (no pun intended). I'm sure it's an option, though...
patrickd26 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-14-2018, 09:28 PM   #10
SmittyJonz
somebody shut me the fark up.

Are there any other choices, please.........like:
a stick burner from Craig Bell AND a Hunsaker Drum.......

Old 08-15-2018, 07:42 AM   #11
Levergun
Knows what a fatty is.

Thanks for all levels the great advice and info!! A lot to consider and review. Going to get in contact with Bell fab and see if Craig can build what I need. Thanks again!!

Old 08-15-2018, 02:46 PM   #12
AKMIMNAK
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Jonathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levergun View Post
Been lurking here for a while, learned a lot from you all! Been cooking on XL green egg for 10 plus years but have had requests for cooks from friends, neighbors and referrals some need something that can produce more than just a few briskets or racks of ribs at a time. The egg has been great, so which would should I invest in!!??!! Inquiring minds want to know, have narrowed it down to these 2 because they close by as I am temporarily in the tulsa ok area for a while.
Thanks....
I love your username! My personal favorite is the 1860 Henry. I have a Uberti replica but I'd love to own an original someday. And 1 each of all the (other) Winchesters from 1866-95. Anyhow....

I've never owned either, but came across both in my months of smoker research over the past year before I settled on my new LSG offset. I would hands down go with the Marshall over the Wichita. IMO stick burners are only fun when you buy the best available, and in my opinion, Yoder is in the "B" tier of offset makers.

Old 08-15-2018, 03:28 PM   #13
Levergun
Knows what a fatty is.

Thanks AKMIMNAK!! Mine are all Marlins, 32-20, 30-30, 35rem, 44mag,....etc up to 45-70 cowboy...my all time favorite!
Got Bell Fab building me a reverse flow offset!! Cant wait to get it!!

Old 08-15-2018, 06:57 PM   #14
FrankZ
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Frank

I have a Wichita and as I learn it I am loving it more and more.

I do think they missed on the heat management plate, I have tentatively replaced it with some sheet steel I got at Loews. Runs really well now and the side to side temps run a couple of degrees difference.
FrankZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-15-2018, 08:10 PM   #15
IXL
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levergun View Post
Thanks AKMIMNAK!! Mine are all Marlins, 32-20, 30-30, 35rem, 44mag,....etc up to 45-70 cowboy...my all time favorite!
Got Bell Fab building me a reverse flow offset!! Cant wait to get it!!

Just as an aside, the Oklahoma City Gun Club holds Cowboy Action Shooting matches twice a month, and one need not be a member in order to participate.

My levergun is a Uberti 1873 full-octagon long-barrel, a real beauty.
IXL is offline   Reply With Quote