The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-22-2017, 12:54 PM   #16
rikun
On the road to being a farker

Well I think I'm improving! We got first place in brisket a week ago in Belgium and this time we also had the slices in the box

It probed really really soft, almost no resistance so naturally I thought we overcooked it once again.

But to my surprise it was pretty darn close! So it must be that I usually miss the really soft feeling and the brisket starts to tighten up. And hence there is more resistance when probing after that point.

We sliced the flat after it had rested for about half an hour loosely in foil just to verify the doneness. It was pretty springy, almost not done enough. We put it away wrapped in foil to slice it closer to turn in time.

When we started slicing again the texture had totally changed! It was almost overdone, no springyness anymore. We were quite surprised. Could the small drop in temperature affect texture that much? I've never seen that kind of sudden change in texture when resting...

Old 09-22-2017, 01:55 PM   #17
JS-TX
is Blowin Smoke!

The problem is you are too far away from Texas!

I think just try to keep all the variables consistent and keep cooking. I like using a wooden skewer to check for tenderness in a couple places where the point meets the flat. Try to let it rest for at least 2 hours, with the temp coming down where it's not overly hot to handle. I've never checked for temps during cool down, but IT is probably in the 160*s. Hot N Fast is fine except you can over cook it quickly if you aren't careful. Marbling is very important IMO. It's what separates a lot of good teams and restaurants vs ordinary ones.
JS-TX is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brisket, doneness, feel, probe