LSG Mini with Comp Cart and Offroad Kit - Video Review + Pics

I got a mini and a Humphrey's Pint. The Pint makes better ribs and the mini is fir the big meats (brisket and butts)
Do you notice any difference in the way the rf and direct heat work? I have a rf and really like it. Always wondered if there was a difference.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Do you notice any difference in the way the rf and direct heat work? I have a rf and really like it. Always wondered if there was a difference.

I do notice some differences.
1. I assume the reason I find the ribs better off the Pint is because the air is flowing down rather than up so it hits the meat differently.
2. The Mini is much more consistent across different racks. I actually don't think its a greater temp difference in the Pint but rather that the air flow on the top rack is so much more than any other rack.
3. The mini seems to draft a bit better at the same temp. not really sure how to quantify that, but if I have them both running at the same temp the exhaust on the mini seems to be flowing faster.

Overall they are both great cookers, and I'm a crazy person for having them both.

1. I assume the reason I find the ribs better off the Pint is because the air is flowing down rather than up so it hits the meat differently.

2. The Mini is much more consistent across different racks. I actually don't think its a greater temp difference in the Pint but rather that the air flow on the top rack is so much more than any other rack.

3. The mini seems to draft a bit better at the same temp. not really sure how to quantify that, but if I have them both running at the same temp the exhaust on the mini seems to be flowing faster.

Overall they are both great cookers, and I'm a crazy person for having them both.
That makes perfect sense. The airflow in the LSG has a direct or less restrictive path to the exhaust. Appreciate the info!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

For the life of me I couldn't figure out why in the world Humphrey's was making a reverse flow IVC when I was doing my research. Makes sense to me on an offset where air is flowing horizontally. But why would u try to force heat and smoke to go downhill, and does it even work? It seems like it would trap some heat and smoke permanently at the ceiling that just stays there and stagnates. I've never seen anyone on YouTube explain the theory. What have you noticed?

For the life of me I couldn't figure out why in the world Humphrey's was making a reverse flow IVC when I was doing my research. Makes sense to me on an offset where air is flowing horizontally. But why would u try to force heat and smoke to go downhill, and does it even work? It seems like it would trap some heat and smoke permanently at the ceiling that just stays there and stagnates. I've never seen anyone on YouTube explain the theory. What have you noticed?

I've had direct flow smokers in the past and found the bottom rack runs hotter than the rest of the racks almost to the point where the bottom rack is useless.
With my reverse flow cabinet I find temperatures to be much more consistent top to bottom than any direct flow I've owned, in fact I'm able to achieve a zero degree differential from top rack to bottom rack in a 42" tall cook chamber. My thoughts are the smoke and heat travel up the sidewalls enter the chamber and then is drawn down to the bottom where it exits is what makes it much much more uniform in temperature. As far as smoke staying at the top and stagnating in a reverse flow cabinet, I've never experienced it and for that matter I don't know how that could possibly happen in a sealed environment. It's my thought that all the air moves not just some in the cook chamber.

I've had direct flow smokers in the past and found the bottom rack runs hotter than the rest of the racks almost to the point where the bottom rack is useless.
With my reverse flow cabinet I find temperatures to be much more consistent top to bottom than any direct flow I've owned, in fact I'm able to achieve a zero degree differential from top rack to bottom rack in a 42" tall cook chamber. My thoughts are the smoke and heat travel up the sidewalls enter the chamber and then is drawn down to the bottom where it exits is what makes it much much more uniform in temperature. As far as smoke staying at the top and stagnating in a reverse flow cabinet, I've never experienced it and for that matter I don't know how that could possibly happen in a sealed environment. It's my thought that all the air moves not just some in the cook chamber.

Gotcha. Admittedly I don't have a science brain at all, it just seems to me that hot air and smoke would strongly resist being drawn downhill. Obviously it must work or no one would still make reverse flow cabinets. I will say, high quality direct flow IVCs are known for even temps top to bottom.. LSG claims 5-10 degrees. I'm about to find out 🤷*♂️

Think about drafting a bit like a river. Once it gets going it kind of feeds onto itself. Its literally just a different manner of drafting smoke into the cook chamber. Comes from the top rather than the bottom.

Back