MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-05-2009, 02:32 PM   #1
SamSmoker
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default Where to buy pellets?

Just wondering if anyone has found a good online source to purchase wood pellets from. I have a Country Smoker and absolutely love it (as do all of my neighbors). The only local supplier of pellets is a higher end fireplace dealer that charges full price for traeger pellets.

I've ordered from cookinpellets and like the pellets, it's just the dang shipping is so high.

Any recommendations? Also, anyone found heating pellets with food grade binders/lube?

Old 11-05-2009, 02:41 PM   #2
OakPit
is One Chatty Farker

Have you googled: Treager, FEC or Louisiana Dealers?

Traditional Santa Maria Pit
Mini, Small, Medium & Large BGE
Weber 22" OTS & 26" OTG & 18"WSM & WGA
[COLOR="Red"]Each wearing custom handles from Marty Leach[/COLOR]
OakPit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-05-2009, 03:02 PM   #3
rcubed3r
Knows what a fatty is.

Call Candy:
http://www.bbqrsdelight.com/contact.html

Order 400 or more pounds for freight rate.
It is WELL worth it.

Ron
rcubed3r is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-05-2009, 03:09 PM   #4
Plowboy
somebody shut me the fark up.

Talk to Candy about local dealers to you. Great pellets!

Also talk to Stuart at Cookshack about the new pellets that he's coming out with. They're available, but I don't think he's done a big marketing push on them yet. Probably only get them from Cookshack.

Best bet is to find local dealers. Shipping can get expensive, but a good price may offset the freight.

Also, call Bobby at www.kck.com. Tell him Plowboy sent you and see if he can work you a deal. He carries a couple of different brands.

Todd Johns (me); Blue Springs, MO
Randy Hinck (PigBoy); Concordia, MO
Andy Groneman (Hodedo); KC, KS (Cameo Appearances)

FEC-500SS; FEC-100 (Right handed); FEC-100 (Left handed); Country Smoker Tailgater; Big Green Egg (2-large, small, mini); Cookshack Pellet Fired Charbroiler
Plowboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-05-2009, 04:08 PM   #5
SmokinOkie
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plowboy View Post
Also talk to Stuart at Cookshack about the new pellets that he's coming out with.
What? He told me it was a secret... and he told you? Next thing you know he'll be giving you a charboiler.... oh wait, he already did

Yes, CS will no longer be vending those @#$%@#$ Traeger Pellets. The new pellets will be the blended/hardwood variety.

I believe they'll be out for sale by Dec if not sooner.

Sam,

One thing to do is look on this forum and tell people that you're making a bulk buy of pellets. I know groups of guys that do this and split the shipping. And you'll find out who pellet guys are.
SmokinOkie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-06-2009, 08:31 AM   #6
BBQSamYesIam
Knows what a fatty is.

You may also want to check out if there is a Do It Best Hardware store or a Tractor Supply store in your area. They sell Somerset Oak pellets for heating, but Somerset uses all food grade lubricants in their processing. They don't openly advertise them for cooking, but......they are $5-$6 for a 40 pound bag!!!!!! Both of these retail chains often substitute brands, so be sure to ask which brand they carry in the store. The website will say Somerset, but don't rely on it!!! I buy from cookinpellets and usually start out with them for the first couple of hours for the flavor on a low and slow cook and then use the oak pellets for the remainder of the cook.

All of that being said, I'm now going to slightly hijack your thread and ask about your country smoker! I have a CS-680, and am still having issues with wide temp ranges from end to end. The temps can vary by 40 degress from left to right, with the right side being the high end. I am also getting pretty hot temps in the extreme front and back from where the heat comes around the heat shield. Have you done any mods to improve your temperature consistency???
BBQSamYesIam is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-06-2009, 11:02 AM   #7
WineMaster
Babbling Farker

Anyone else use Summerset Pellets. I see that Lowes carries them and was thinking of trying them.

Dan

MJH From Backyard Bomber BBQ -- Junior
YS 640 Comp
22.5 Weber Kettle
Blue Thermopen

Comp Team
Wine & Swine
WineMaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-06-2009, 12:46 PM   #8
BBQSamYesIam
Knows what a fatty is.

Here is a link that has a lengthy debate about "heating" pellets versus "cooking" pellets http://pelletheads.com/index.php?act...ge;topic=409.0
BBQSamYesIam is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-06-2009, 03:37 PM   #9
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

Name/Nickname : Tim

I have bought pellets from almost every source out there.

For me, the most consistant supplier is Candy Sue at BBQ'r Delight.
I actually prefer the pure ones (non blended) from Cooking Pellets,
but Chris's supply is too "iffy" to count on.

I bought several orders from Candy Sue to test them.
Cost about $1.25 plus per pound.
Worth it---but......

Yesterday, I ordered 400 # and paid less than 65 cents per pound with shipping!!!!
80# Mesquite, 120# Hickory, and 200# Cherry.

That will get me through 2010 about right.

It is amazing how many pounds you use with comps, recreational, and other cooking.

Just my experience.

TIM

Old 11-06-2009, 03:42 PM   #10
Scottie
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Don't even mess with it. Contact Candy and order her BBQr's Delight. Best pellets going out there!!!

Red Jambo one off
FE 100
FEC 100
WSM
Homer Simpson 22 " Weber Kettle
Red 18 1/2" Weber Kettle
Black 26 3/4" Weber Kettle
Scottie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-08-2009, 09:48 PM   #11
jawquin
Got Wood.

I have been using Somerset pellets for the last few months. They are mostly oak and they use veggie oil for lube in equipment. GREAT pellets. I bought 10 bags and should have bought a ton. I have smoked some with Pro Pellets too. They work well but I prefer the Somersets.

jawquin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-09-2009, 07:46 AM   #12
kurtsara
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Hey you

Here is where I get mine $55.00 for 60lbs shipped to your house

http://www.traegeroutlet.com/traeger_pellets
kurtsara is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 11-09-2009, 08:32 AM   #13
KC_Bobby
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jawquin View Post
I have been using Somerset pellets for the last few months. They are mostly oak and they use veggie oil for lube in equipment. GREAT pellets. I bought 10 bags and should have bought a ton. I have smoked some with Pro Pellets too. They work well but I prefer the Somersets.

Are those food safe? From the little I've read about Summerset, they seem to be produces for heating.
Proud KCBS Member & Certified Judge

KC_Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-09-2009, 08:38 AM   #14
FatBoyz
is one Smokin' Farker

here is where i et chit for my opinion... pellets are pellets read them thay all have addler for fillers witch s a chit wood... food grade pellets meens that there not pressed in a stanless enviroment. there are 2 brands out there that are 1005 hard wood and are fine for use in cooking. and thay cost about 4 to 5 ucks for 40 lbs...this is just my opinion...

Old 11-09-2009, 08:45 AM   #15
Jorge
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC_Bobby View Post
Are those food safe? From the little I've read about Summerset, they seem to be produces for heating.
I'll let ya know

Keeping Valspar in BBQ, one cook at a time.

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote