Advice On Buying Used BGE

Trucky1008

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I'm going to check out a used large egg today that the seller says was "rarely used and is in excellent shape". I was hoping that some of you eggsperts could tell me if there's anything in particular that I should be looking for and what to stay away from? It's listed for $350 and I'm hoping to be able to get it under $300. Thanks for any help you can provide.

In general, eggs hold up very well over time. I bought two older ones off Craigslist and couldn't be happier. $350 is a very good price. If it really is in good shape, pounce on it.

First thing to look for is cracks. Firebox in particular. A new one costs about $120 if it is cracked beyond repair. Are the lid gaskets good? Does it have a duel purpose daisy wheel or the old single purpose one which doesn't let much air vent out?

If it is an older egg, it might have a scissors hinge which you will want to upgrade to a spring band -- about $90.

Does it have a nest? Mates? any other accessories like a plate setter or pizza stone?

I just called the guy and he said it has a nest and the duel purpose daisy wheel. He said he bought it new 2005 and still has the receipt. I'm heading over to look at it now. Hopefully I'll come back an Egghead! I'll follow up with pics if I pick this puppy up. Thanks for the input.

I just called the guy and he said it has a nest and the duel purpose daisy wheel. He said he bought it new 2005 and still has the receipt. I'm heading over to look at it now. Hopefully I'll come back an Egghead! I'll follow up with pics if I pick this puppy up. Thanks for the input.

Sounds like a great deal...good luck! :p

one thing to ask about is if they've ever used lighter fluid to start the fire in the egg. the fluid absorbs into the ceramic and it'll be there for a long time.

I gave it a good look over and everything seemed to be in order, no cracks, gasket worn but seemed to be okay. He wouldn't go lower than $350 but I think I got it at a good price. Included was an electric charcoal starter so I'm fairly sure he didn't use starter fluid. I can't wait to get using it!

Here's a few pics, let me know what you think?

3538645059_0a18601191_o.jpg

3538644967_38b3c6ab6d_o.jpg

Is this the old style hinge?
3538645001_3fc5ed027d_o.jpg

Oh I don't know about that one...I like from the black soot around the inside he may have used lighter fluid! Just because I'm your friend I'm gonna give you $345 for it and that way you won't have to worry about it anymore! That's what friends are for. What time should I stop by and save you?

GREAT SCORE!!! That puppy looks great! :p All you need now is a platesetter and some meat!

Oh I don't know about that one... What time should I stop by and save you?

Glad to know you got my back Gary. If that black soot causes me a problem you'll be the first one I call.....don't hold your breath though! :smile:

congrats on your find Don! what are you cooking first? Pizza, burgers, fatty?

now you get to call everything eggcellent

I'm thinking a good sear on a few rib eyes steaks will start me off!

If you aren't already aware of it, do a google search for TRex method of searing steaks. Works great with rib eyes.

Back