Homemade Vortex For My Weber

BBQ Freak

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
just want to experiment with my new Weber and got some metal cans laying around and how far under the cooking grate do you need to be or do you want it up to the grate level ? thanks

The vortex comes to the bottom of the grate. It is close enough, you can't put a secoind charcoal grate in.

I have a vortex for my 22" Weber Kettle and the top sits about a 1/4" below the cooking grate.

just want to experiment with my new Weber and got some metal cans laying around and how far under the cooking grate do you need to be or do you want it up to the grate level ? thanks
I use this, roughly 10 " diameter. It reaches to just below the grate.
picture.php

The small vortex dimensions are
5 1/2 inches tall
7 7/8 wide, small diameter
11 5/8 wide large diameter
The issue is how much fuel can what you use hold. My expanded metal ring holds a Weber starters load of started coals, which works well for chicken pieces. Lasts roughly an hour, with some extra. For things like country style ribs, there is room for unlit charcoal for fewer lit coals to start for longer cooks. A strip of un-galvanized steel would work just as well, in my opinion.

A actual cone shape, like the vortex, would allow more room for doing an indirect cook on a whole chicken, beer butt style.

The cone shape is important for the air flow as well. Almost everyone misses that part on their DIY.

Back