Stoker app

sssSmoking

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Hey guys need some help.
I got a iPhone 6s and need a app to connect to my Stoker. The app I used on my old iphone is not available.
What are you guys using/recommending?
Thoughts?
Thanks
Richard

I have been working on a Java based application that works with all versions of the Stoker. The only issue is that it does not work on phones but will work on any computer or tablet.

Here is a brief run down on what it is currently setup to do:

-Timeline graph of cook temperatures
-Alert you to high and low temperatures of your pit(s) along with alerting you once a temperature has been reached.
-Allows you to export your cook timeline.
-Allows you to enter in your timeline so that you receive alerts on what your next step should be.
-For WiFi stokers it alerts you to when it loses connection to the Stoker unit.

The application is almost ready for Beta testing I just need to preform a few more cooks with it before picking up some testers.
If you are interested in doing some testing let me know.

-Eric

Thanks Eric, PM sent.
What app are the rest of you guys running that have iPhone's?
Thoughts?
Richard

I think the only app currently supporting the Stoker is PitPal. You should support the developer and pay the extra for the full/pro version. I'll admit that I don't use it since I'm still running StokeMaster.

I think the only app currently supporting the Stoker is PitPal. You should support the developer and pay the extra for the full/pro version. I'll admit that I don't use it since I'm still running StokeMaster.

Thanks -NCGrimbo,
I will get the full version.

Here is what I am running into and hope someone can help.
I have an old non WiFi stoker that I have added a router to and carry with the Stoker. I was able to connect using the older app on my 5s iPhone straight to the router/stoker. Worked great.

I now have an iPhone 6s.
Does anyone know what I need to do to have my 6s iPhone with the Pit Pal app to connect to my old router/stoker?

Who else has run into this issue and how did you resolve? I sure would like to hear from you.

And I have tried to call and email Rock's Bar-B-Que and so far no response.
Any input is greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Richard

This sounds like an issue with your network setup, not with the Stoker or the app. Changing phones should not have caused any issues. So, try the following:

1. Make sure the router is still configured for WiFi. If not, configure it.
  2. Write down the SSID for the WiFi network that is set up on the router.
  3. Make sure your i6 can see the SSID when you bring up Settings/Wi-Fi on the phone. It should be marked as the default network. If not, select it.
  4. Verify that the Stoker has gotten an IP Address from the router. If possible, set the IP address on the router as a fixed value. (A router can decide to change the IP address of any connected device unless it is set as a fixed address.)
  5. Verify that you can connect to the Stoker using a web browser

At this point you will know if the Stoker is talking to the network. Once you can connect to the Stoker via a web browser, any app that knows about the Stoker should be able to talk to it.

Good Luck.

I just use the Stoker interface. Just type the IP into a browser. No fancy charts, but I can check and set it from anywhere.

When I got my white Stoker, I used a "WiFi Gaming Bridge" so it could connect to my home WiFi.
If you travel with the Stoker then the use of a combo Router/Wifi will work in that situation. There are a few youtube videos on how to set up both the stoker and the router/Wifi.

Thanks for all of the replies. I have a number of things to try after reading your post and Saturday I will be smoking 21# of Salmon.

I have a few questions but would be best for me to run a few test. Once again thank you for taking the time to post a comment. I will be back in contact.

Just a reminder, I had no problem with my old iPhone 5s and the app that was on that phone, in fact I can still use my old ipad with the old app and it works fine.

Once I got this iPhone 6s and the only app available is The Pit Pal I am having trouble connecting.
Could be operator error and I hope it is.
What I need or would like is to be able to see the Pit temperature, be able to set the Pit temperature, and set low and high pit temperature alarm.

Thanks again and I will be back in contact.
Richard

Which Stoker do you have? There are 3 different models.

I've been thinking about moving to the Fireboard because the stoker firmware/UI/Interface is getting long in the tooth.

I've wanted to connect my stoker to my HA system, and have contacted the company inquiring about future plans a few times and never receive any response.

I suspect the Stoker is dead as it pertains to it's firmware development.

Amir, creator of the "Stoker Log" PC software, said he would be working on a Stoker Log App in the future. The guy has skills. Should be a great App.

Stoker already has the hand off for control by other software. I have used probably a half dozen in the past. Just that Apple hardware and their IOS keeps changing. So the code or platform for most Apps has to change with them.

Which Stoker do you have? There are 3 different models.

Not sure, here is a photo. I bought it in 2010 and I am running Version 2.6.0 here is a photo of the front.

Attachments

• IMG_1899.jpg
    IMG_1899.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 40
Yep, that is the first model I believe. Has an Ethernet port on the back. I bought a gaming bridge so I could use it over WiFi and then record my cooks with "Stoker Log" PC software.
The second version was the first to have WiFi. But it uses the early WiFi radio. The 3rd model they call Stoker II. I have it also and is my go to controller.

Up Date, Pit Pal app

Yep, that is the first model I believe. Has an Ethernet port on the back. I bought a gaming bridge so I could use it over WiFi and then record my cooks with "Stoker Log" PC software.
The second version was the first to have WiFi. But it uses the early WiFi radio. The 3rd model they call Stoker II. I have it also and is my go to controller.

Ok just a little update.
Yes Hotch it most likely is the 1st version.
I did final see where to buy the paid version of this app. After installing I was able to connect to the Stoker through the Pit Pal app. The 2 photos on the top show what i was receiving from the Pit Pal, the bottom photo is one with my old ipad and old app, it shows a gauge that is much easier to read.

I was able to set alarm on the Pit Pal but I never received any alarms. I think there is an issue with my Stoker being so old. Are you guys able to pull up a gauge like my bottom photo from my old ipad/app?

Thanks for all the use full information.
Richard

Attachments

• IMG_1894.jpg
    IMG_1894.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_1895.jpg
    IMG_1895.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_1898.jpg
    IMG_1898.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 23
I’ve never run my white Stoker with pitpal. I have run it with Stoker Log and the alarms, both fire and food, work great.

Amir, creator of the "Stoker Log" PC software, said he would be working on a Stoker Log App in the future. The guy has skills. Should be a great App.

Stoker already has the hand off for control by other software. I have used probably a half dozen in the past. Just that Apple hardware and their IOS keeps changing. So the code or platform for most Apps has to change with them.

The app that I have been working is not hardware specific since it uses Java. It will run on any OS. I am working on the licensing now for the application.

Back