Old time flaver

I can relate and cows now are not what they were then. On edit neither are chickens or pigs.

The average consumer leans toward a reduction of the fat in beef, and over the last 30 years... changes in the way cattle are raised have led to leaner beef. Even burger is leaner than it used to be. Remember you could always see ground sirloin, or ground round... now you have to go to a specialty butcher to get custom grinds. Or do it yourself at home.

Our taste buds change every 7 years or something like that. I know this is true because KFC is not good to me as when I was a teenager. McDonald's is still going strong :thumb:

Back when I was a kid growing up on the farm we used to raise dairy steers to butcher for our own use. They were fed a diet of clover/alfalfa hay and a chopped small grain feed mix that the local grain elevator ground for us. They were also pastured during the warmer months. No growth hormones were used. We always thought it was some of the best meat you could eat. The meat from these cows was not as lean as seen today but it also was not overly heavy with the hard fat. Very tasty. We have a couple of local farmer that still raise cattle the old ways to sell for butchering and I have heard that the meat is excellent. When I want some good steaks for grilling I go to a local meat market who gets his meat from local growers and it is of excellent quality and taste. If you shop around you can still find good meat that reminds you of the old days.

Back when I was a kid growing up on the farm we used to raise dairy steers to butcher for our own use. They were fed a diet of clover/alfalfa hay and a chopped small grain feed mix that the local grain elevator ground for us. They were also pastured during the warmer months. No growth hormones were used. We always thought it was some of the best meat you could eat. The meat from these cows was not as lean as seen today but it also was not overly heavy with the hard fat. Very tasty. We have a couple of local farmer that still raise cattle the old ways to sell for butchering and I have heard that the meat is excellent. When I want some good steaks for grilling I go to a local meat market who gets his meat from local growers and it is of excellent quality and taste. If you shop around you can still find good meat that reminds you of the old days.

I agree with Fred. If you don't raise your own or know of someone who does, find a good butcher. He'll help you out.
When I don't fatten up one of my own for the freezer, I purchase from a local butcher that owns a ranch and raises, processes and sells his beef.
It's pretty darned good. :thumb:
Good luck with your search!

We have raised/ fed out and butchered many steers over the years.Good meat.I now have them ground into burger and buy my choice/ Prime cuts ( steak and roast)from a butcher so I can see each cut before purchase.

Salt from a blue can with an umbrella
Black Pepper from a metal container half size pack of cigs
Lawry’s Seasoning Salt
Kingsford Briquettes
Gulf Lite

Bout it for Cookout Memory Lane

Do you remember a charcoal grilled steak from 30 or so years ago and how great it was?

Why is it so hard to reproduce?

The closest I've come is with PRIME BEEF.

I want to reproduce what I remember...........

Help.

TNX mm
I think one of the issues that affects us all as we get more miles behind us is the nostalgia and remembrance of things "as they were". Another is what happens to us when have repeated experiences: each repeat brings us just a touch less surprise and peak enjoyment than the last.

Add that up to the cranky old man syndrome and you can develop a point of view that says things just aren't as good as they used to be.

One of the best defenses against losing enjoyment for a treasured experience is to keep learning new ways to enjoy and new skills. It keeps you from calcifying and keeps you from getting jaded.

I have been burning steaks for over 40 years now. I think I can say without question I make a better tasting steak today than at anytime in my past. Is that actually true? I have no idea, but, that's what I keep telling myself and dang it if that next steak isn't going to be better than my last one:thumb:

I think one of the issues that affects us all as we get more miles behind us is the nostalgia and remembrance of things "as they were". Another is what happens to us when have repeated experiences: each repeat brings us just a touch less surprise and peak enjoyment than the last.

Add that up to the cranky old man syndrome and you can develop a point of view that says things just aren't as good as they used to be. ...

And in the meantime, you kids get off my lawn!

I think there's more to this idea than simple nostalgia. Quality has definitely gone down across the board in my opinion.

I'd fit into the "lighter fluid" being a flavoring agent camp. Thats what I grew up with.
Meat has changed IMO in flavor, fat content and I think sinew content. Growing up I don't recall pulling tapeworm length bits of sinew from my steaks, now its almost common place.

I would say that quality and fat content is a big factor. I have had many in the past and a bunch have been tough and not up to par. Demand for leaner beef has been popular in the last 20 to 30 years. Prime beef does mean better fat content, so that is prolly what you are remembering.

I am not old enough to remember, but I have been told that Mcdonalds used to cook fries in beef tallow...yuuuummmm!

Things tend to get better with time, and the memory of bad things can fade.

I remember being absolutely miserable in boot camp, but then when I talk to old friends I served with and talk about it, we never realized how much fun we were having.

Everything is pushed to get to market in a shorter amount of time to increase the bottom line. Pigs, steers and chickens are hurried along to slaughter weight. fruits and vegetables are pumped constantly with fertilizer to get them to market. We complain about the prices we pay but we'd really complain if we had to pay the cost to have our dinner produced like it was in "the good olde days"

Back