Smoked Breakfast Sausage....blind taste test.

WilliamKY

is One Chatty Farker

Batch Image
Reaction score
I tried a fun experiment with the kids tonight. I smoked 3lbs of breakfast sausage with a chunk of oak.
A - Jake's Country Store spicy sausage with Owens BBQ Buffalo Wing Rub.

B- Jake's Country Store mild sausage with Oak Ridge Secret Weapon.

C. Grain fed show pig from last years Indiana State Fair with Lawry's Total Seasoning.

*Notes - This is locally sourced pork. Jake's is a mom and pop store in Bardstown Ky. My friends wife raises show pigs.

Score 1-5 (1-bad/2-not good/3-average/4-good/5-excellent)

Son - A4..B5..C3
Daughter - A5..B4..C4
Me - A3, B5, C5

Total A12, B14, C12.
The Winner - Jakes Country Store mild sausage with Oak Ridge Secret Weapon. The flavor stood out.

I must say though the show pig was very good imo. Grain fed pig with no preservatives. It had a slight but not overpowering game taste to it which I really like. As fresh as it gets.

Attachments

• 20180716_182310.jpg
    20180716_182310.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 157
  • 20180716_182334.jpg
    20180716_182334.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 157
Last edited:
Looks good William and I would agree on the show pig sausage. I just put 412 lbs of show pig meat in the freezer. Love making my fatties with that sausage. Just did 6 lbs yesterday.

Looks good William and I would agree on the show pig sausage. I just put 412 lbs of show pig meat in the freezer. Love making my fatties with that sausage. Just did 6 lbs yesterday.
I really think the show pig with the Oak Ridge would have been crazy good. Unfortunately I only had 1 lb of that sausage. Maybe next time.

Had you given any thought to trying plain patties without additional seasonings fried up in the skillet? I think those results would be interesting too. Great that you got the youngsters involved!

Had you given any thought to trying plain patties without additional seasonings fried up in the skillet? I think those results would be interesting too. Great that you got the youngsters involved!
That's a great idea and no I didn't. It was spur of the moment with no planning. I still have plenty of sausage frozen but none of the show pig. I gotta get some more of that.

Jake's 150 stop mild and spicy are both really well balanced great tasting sausage. I wish I had his recipe. I it like better than Purnell's Old Folks.

Back