MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-18-2012, 07:56 AM   #9886
Johnny_Crunch
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfredbot9000 View Post
First of all I would like to say its an honor to post in this amazing thread. I am halfway through and soaking up all the info in here like a sponge. I have all my supples and am getting ready to build my first UDS and am sticking to KISS and following the standard Norco design for some tried and true results.

I bought a sheet of 24x24 3/4" expando from HD for my no weld charcoal basket and as I see it I have 2 options:

1.) Cut it in half and use a 18in coal grate - basket thats 12in tall and has a 13.5 in diameter

or

2.) Cut it into thee pieces and use a 22.5in coal grate - basket thats 8in tall and has a 17.5in diameter

So brethren I ask you this when it comes to charcoal baskets for UDS what's better....length or girth?

I'm assuming a wider basket is better because its further from the fire, but then again I wanted to ask those who have built and have real world answers.

I would like to thank everyone that has contributed to this amazing thread so that people like myself can build something that works on the first try and not have to worth through trial and error.

P.S. Do this thread come with a diploma or some from of certificate of completion when I have finished reading it?
You can cut slits init and fold up the sides to make a 12" base with 6" sides. That what I did. I folded up the sides and bolted it together.

Old 08-18-2012, 10:16 AM   #9887
Jethro608
Full Fledged Farker

Hey don't want to seem like an a hole. But this has been a hot topic as of late.
I to agree that it is anoying when your reading a thread like this one & its already like 50,000 post long (great thing) & you have to read a long quote over & over & over & over
Please remember that you can quote the part that is important to you & delete the rest.
I'm new here also but this is a valid point that is a pain in the a**

Thanks for reading : rant over

Old 08-18-2012, 05:05 PM   #9888
Peddler
Knows what a fatty is.

The weather gave me a break between showers and I completed a side shelf ... handles and casters to be done ... then disasseble and give it a burn and clean.
Peddler is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-19-2012, 02:55 PM   #9889
Peddler
Knows what a fatty is.

Old 08-19-2012, 03:41 PM   #9890
Jethro608
Full Fledged Farker

Nice table. How did you attach it?

Old 08-19-2012, 04:16 PM   #9891
Peddler
Knows what a fatty is.

Table is attached with two 1/4 in bolts thru the inside 2X4.. the rest of the table is 1X4 treated glued and staples to two 1X2 strips and attached to the 2X4 with a piano hinge.

I still have to drill out the lid, install handles, and casters.

Thanks
Jim

Old 08-19-2012, 05:40 PM   #9892
Johnny_Crunch
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jethro608 View Post
Hey don't want to seem like an a hole. But this has been a hot topic as of late.
I to agree that it is anoying when your reading a thread like this one & its already like 50,000 post long (great thing) & you have to read a long quote over & over & over & over
Please remember that you can quote the part that is important to you & delete the rest.
I'm new here also but this is a valid point that is a pain in the a**

Thanks for reading : rant over
Thanks for the suggestion.............

Old 08-20-2012, 07:24 AM   #9893
coachmccoy543
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Cleveland Browns UDS

Just wanted to show off the latest build. Its in a Cleveland Browns paint scheme for a buddy of mine. Turned out pretty good for just using ole rattle can paint. Its a typical build except I used a BGE type sliding intake fabricated out of some scrap aluminum from work. The side table is red wood stained pine boards with common shelf brackets with wing nuts on the inside to allow removal for storage. It also has 2 grill grates. Still working on perfecting hinges for future builds so for now just a removable lid. Can't wait for him to pick it up and see the look on his face.

Thanks for all who have posted on this site. Couldn't have done it without all the valuable information!

Last edited by coachmccoy543; 07-29-2013 at 11:37 AM..
coachmccoy543 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-20-2012, 08:29 AM   #9894
reglarjoe
Found some matches.

Coach,
Nice touch with the shelf brackets. I didn't think about those. Was trying to think of brackets for mine and drawing a blank. I need to remember "Keep It Simple, Stupid".

Old 08-20-2012, 03:16 PM   #9895
Peddler
Knows what a fatty is.

A better pic on how the shelf is done.

Thanks from:--->
Old 08-20-2012, 04:43 PM   #9896
Johnny_Crunch
Babbling Farker

Nice looking cooker Coach!

Old 08-20-2012, 05:26 PM   #9897
sparky66
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hook_Line_and_Sinker View Post
one note to other first time users , is burn beyond black, at black you have only charred the paint. burn until you get a powdery gray or tan, you will see the paint start to ignite in small crumbly flakes.
Informative posts HLS...I like your concise posts. Thanks for sharing. I know this post is old, but I'm slowly but surely making my way through this monstrous thread.

Sparky
sparky66 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-20-2012, 05:55 PM   #9898
sparky66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark View Post
Yeah, I understand. But what if, for example, uou want to grill a pizza or finish some chicken crispy? You might not have enuf intake air.
Not a problem, you just take the lid off for a minute and get the temps up, adjust intakes and your cooking. I did that with mine the other day with first cook and I was in the 500 area. I have 3 - 3/4" close nipples with a 2" exhaust with another 2" exhaust if needed ( factory issued with lid). Plenty of control from the 200-500 degrees.

Sparky

Old 08-20-2012, 05:59 PM   #9899
sparky66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_KY View Post
Decided copy another brother here to make a new and wider stainless basket today. All that's left is to make several larger holes so the ash falls through...

the holes in that basket don't look like they're good for air flow. Might have some problems keeping the fire lit.

sparky

Old 08-20-2012, 06:05 PM   #9900
Jethro608
Full Fledged Farker

Mine will shot to 500 no prob. I to have 3-3/4 intakes and weber lid I just don't go much higher. Worried about paint. I know,it will take it . Still

To peddler
Thanks for pic . Good idea.

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker