MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-26-2013, 08:26 PM   #1
billyrayvalentine
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default New (to me) OK Joe vertical smoker owner here

Scored this off of craigslist for $50. I didn't know what it was at first and was skeptical about buying, but after doing some research it appeared to be an original OK Joe vertical roasting oven. After reading more about this cooker I am really excited to test it out.

It looks to be in good condition, just a little rusty on the inside. The only thing that may need some work is the side-door on the firebox. It won't open all the way, which I thinks is caused by the paint job the last owner did. Also, the handle for the air intake won't budge. I can't tell yet if the paint is the problem or if the rust has jammed it. Hope a little elbow grease will get it moving, but if not a trip to the welder may be in order.

I'm really excited about playing with this one. Any ideas, suggestions, or war stories you all want to share would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20130826_192151.jpg (33.7 KB, 233 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20130826_192128.jpg (51.2 KB, 233 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20130826_192223.jpg (49.0 KB, 233 views)
billyrayvalentine is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-26-2013, 08:53 PM   #2
nucornhusker
Babbling Farker

Great find! If one ever pops up in my area for a price like that, it's going in my backyard.

Old 08-26-2013, 09:07 PM   #3
Packmanjim
Full Fledged Farker

Great find, now you can have fun making it your own.
Smokey Joe mini
Smokin Cajun Gasser
Packmanjim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-26-2013, 09:40 PM   #4
jeffturnerjr
is One Chatty Farker

Very nice!

Old 08-27-2013, 12:33 AM   #5
SmittyJonz
somebody shut me the fark up.

Much like a Bandera- read and do the Bandera 101 thread.
SmittyJonz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-27-2013, 06:57 AM   #6
harris92
Full Fledged Farker

Great score and price!!! I also have an Okie Joe Vertical Roasting Oven. I am very happy with it. The diffuser plate really helps even out the heat...

Old 08-27-2013, 01:16 PM   #7
billyrayvalentine

I'm planning on doing a little work on the smoker this evening. I intend to brush some of the rust off of the grates and oil them and the rest of the inside of the grill and fire it up for a few hours to season and test out the airflow. I'm hoping the heat may weaken the paint so I can get the air intake moving. I've read varying opinions on whether or not this model needs any gasket around the door, so I'll be keeping an eye on any leaking as well. Should I sand some of the rust from the inside of the smoker before oiling it? Should I oil the outside of the grill as well?

A very small piece of the plate at the bottom used to distribute the heat and smoke evenly has rusted away -- maybe just a square inch or so. I don't anticipate that it would effect smoking much if at all as is, but thinking ahead I'm considering taking to to a welder and getting another one made to plug in once this one does rust out. Is this a good idea, or should I just put in a baffle plate?

If the heat doesn't loosen up the air intake does anyone have any suggestions on getting it moving?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or insight offered!

Old 08-27-2013, 03:34 PM   #8
billyrayvalentine

Default Follow up

I'm doing some work on the new smoker this evening and I've got some questions. I plan on brushing some rust off of the grates and oiling them and the inside of the smoker and firing it up to test the airflow. I've read differing opinions about adding gasket to this model so I will be looking for leaks as well. Should I sand the inside before oiling it? Should I oil the exterior of the smoker as well?

The plate at the bottom used to keep the heat even has a small piece that has rusted off -- maybe about a square inch if that. I don't think it will effect heat and smoke distribution much if at all as it is. Thinking ahead I am considering taking it to my welder and having another one made to plug in once this one does rust out. Is that a good idea or should I just put in a baffle plate?

I'm hoping the heat weakens the paint around the air intake so i can get it moving. If this doesn't work does anyone have a suggestion for getting it unjammed?

Thanks in advance!

Old 08-27-2013, 07:44 PM   #9
billyrayvalentine

Default Follow up

I'm doing some work on the OK Joe soon and I have some questions. I plan on brushing some rust form the grates and oiling them and the inside of the smoker and then firing it up to test airflow and the accuracy of the door thermometer. I've read differing opinions on whether this model needs gasket so I'll be looking for leaks as well. Should I oil the exterior of the grill also? Should I sand the inside of the grill before oiling it?

The diffuser plate has a very small piece that has rusted away -- maybe a square inch or so. I don't think it will affect cooking as is, but thinking ahead I was considering taking it to a welder and having another one made to plug in once this one does rust out. Is this a good idea or should I just put in a baffle?

I'm hoping the heat from the test run will weaken the paint or whatever has the air intake jammed, but if not does anyone have any suggestions on getting it unjammed? I would really like to keep the original setup on that if possible.

Thanks in advance!

Old 08-29-2013, 11:51 AM   #10
billyrayvalentine

Sorry for the redundant replies. I didn't realize it had to be approved before appearing so I kept re-posting when it didn't appear. Anyhow, I oiled it up and burned it out last night, and things are looking good. Leakage around the door was minimal but it may need some gasket. Did the biscuit test and the diffuser plate does a great job of evening out the heat. I only found the grill to be a tad bit cooler towards the center of the wall nearest the firebox.

I still can't get the air intake to budge and would appreciate any suggestions there.

Going to smoke some chicken breasts for some buffalo wing dip and some moinks to celebrate the beginning of college football tonight.

I think I'm really going to enjoy this grill.

Old 08-29-2013, 03:04 PM   #11
sliding_billy
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : )

Nice score.
sliding_billy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-29-2013, 03:33 PM   #12
Hawg Father of Seoul
is One Chatty Farker

Use a hammer to free the air intake. Knock the hell out of it. Experience speaking.
Hawg Father of Seoul is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-29-2013, 06:59 PM   #13
1MoreFord
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawg Father of Seoul View Post
Use a hammer to free the air intake. Knock the hell out of it. Experience speaking.

^This and soak it in cooking oil first.

Falcon MK V gaseous grill w/Grill Grates, OK Joe Longhorn w/ vertical - now gone, Char Griller Akorn, Camp Chef PG24SG, Weber 22" OTG w/SNS components
1MoreFord is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-29-2013, 07:28 PM   #14
Smokesignalsfromtx
is one Smokin' Farker

I used wd40 on my Bandara when it froze up. Spray the poo out of it, let it soak, spray it some more, then take the hammer to it if necessary. If it moves at all spray more 40 on it and let it soak! After u get it free'd then work on the cleaning and re seasoning.
Smokesignalsfromtx is offline   Reply With Quote