KCBS v. FBA

eagle697

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I know the basic differences between these two groups as far as garnish and number of servings, but is there a "preferred taste" for either group. I have only done two competitions so far, one of each, and we didn't score well (mainly due to bad bbq) :sad: however, I feel with practice, we have gotten much better.:-D I just didn't know if one of these groups tended to lean towards a certain flavor (sweet, vinegar, spicy etc.) Thanks for your help.

Chris,
In a general sense there is no difference between the two. At least in the southeast there is no basic difference is taste. A large percentage of the FBA judges are KCBS CBJs, too. We don't change a thing between cookoffs...except we don't garnish at KCBS events any more and we basically fill the box so the eight vs. six portions isn't an issue either.

What Chad said.

Many (if not most) of the judges in the SE are FBA/KCBS with a bunch of MIM (or some combination) mixed in.
Many teams compete across sanctioning bodies also.

I would suggest you just cook your best stuff, the way you like it, and not try to "fine tune" based on perceived differences in the judges.

Have fun!

TIM

Also you can never know where your judges are going to be from. Judges like to travel as much as the cooks. Same advice I give everyone new, buy commerical stuff and use it straight out of the bottle and take the taste portion out of the mix...work on cooking perfect BBQ because tough ribs are tough with the best bbq sauce on them...

and tough dont score well in these or any other parts.

Hey, this weekend I am practicing my ribs and chicken at the house...Wife is going to be out of town and I am running everything like a contest just with turn ins on sunday instead of saturday. You are more than welcome to come up on sunday and watch me practice my chicken and ribs if you want. I am in Tucker, hit me with a PM if you want...I am doing pork and briskets for practice in a couple of weeks...you are welcome them also.

Thanks for the help. I was thinking along these lines but wanted to make sure. I have heard others comment about stuff my team has turned in and suggested we make changes. (although the person who made them isn't a judge and hasn't been to many comps) I was mainly trying to clarify.
Thanks again

We cooked with Jimmy ( Smokin' Cracker ) and Jim McCoin from Florida at the American Royal 2 years ago and I did not notice any difference in cooking style or flavors.

Chris,
I have only cooked a few more comps than you...so my wisdom comes from those I have talked to that are seasoned pros.

Cook your meat at a comp just like you do at home for family and friends. Don't get too hung up on what flavor sauce or glaze the judges will like. Pay attention to presentation and tenderness.

Above all, have fun!

Mike

Back