MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness

Notices

Catering, Food Handling and Awareness *OnTopic* Forum to educate us on safe food handling. Not specifically for Catering or competition but overall health and keeping our families safe too.

Old 08-11-2012, 09:06 PM   #1
mjljr13
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default catering for 250 people

Hey my work is asking me to cater for 250 people I figured I would go simple with pulled pork sammies beans slaw and tea. I'm trying to work up a price on this and figure how many butts I should cook how many lbs of beans and slaw should I get. Tea shouldn't be a problem. As its easy and quick to make.....any suggestions y'all got would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
mjljr13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-11-2012, 09:23 PM   #2
armor
is one Smokin' Farker

That is a lot of PP. I would go with about 95lbs pulled. At 50% yield you are looking at...well you do the math. Others may have a different opinion. About 7-8 gal of beans and 7 gal of slaw.

Risk is the price you pay for opportunity.

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS!
armor is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-11-2012, 10:08 PM   #3
smokin joe's and son
Got Wood.

95 Pounds of Pork (raw)
10 #10 cans of baked beans
13 5 pound tubs of slaw
40 gallons of tea (20 oz pp)
250+ buns

Last edited by smokin joe's and son; 08-11-2012 at 10:31 PM.. Reason: recalculated tea
smokin joe's and son is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-12-2012, 08:19 AM   #4
Trucky1008
is One Chatty Farker

125 lbs raw pork x 50% yield = 62.5 lbs. cooked x 4 (sammies per lb.) = 250 sammies. Your sandwich size may vary slightly and you want about 10% more than needed, so adjust accordingly.

Jambo Backyard
Gateway Drum
Fast Eddy FEC100 X2
BGE- Large x2
Certified MOINK Ball Maker, 2008
KCBS Member and CBJ
8.5 X 28' ATC Trailer
Trucky1008 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-12-2012, 10:10 AM   #5
smokin joe's and son
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trucky1008 View Post
125 lbs raw pork x 50% yield = 62.5 lbs. cooked x 4 (sammies per lb.) = 250 sammies. Your sandwich size may vary slightly and you want about 10% more than needed, so adjust accordingly.
Don, your right on with 125 lbs raw, may even go a little heavier if the crowd is all men, then I would figure 3 sandwiches per cooked pound which then he would need 166 pounds. My original post of 95 pounds is way too lite for 250 people.
smokin joe's and son is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-12-2012, 11:34 PM   #6
jberry
Found some matches.

I average out my servings per butt and it works out to about 20 servings per butt(boneless, approx 8lbs). I cooked for 150 today and they ate like there were 200 of them. Served 9 butts, maybe had 1-1/2 left over and they went through 160 buns. So pretty close to my average. Meal also included slaw, pasta salad and beans. I had zero leftovers in the kitchen after except for the extra unpulled butts.
jberry is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-13-2012, 05:47 AM   #7
armor
is one Smokin' Farker

I usually go with 3 sammies for every 2 people. Works out great. I still think 95 lbs cooked will do the trick but it is your call. I find the guys usually eat 2 and the women eat 1.

Risk is the price you pay for opportunity.

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS!
armor is offline   Reply With Quote