MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 10-29-2011, 09:47 AM   #166
sitnfat
is one Smokin' Farker

"I want to see more Sweden females competing" Like the one on their curling team

Old 10-29-2011, 10:12 AM   #167
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

Admin dote:
Folks, I have been away for a few days and have just returned to this thread.

Mista has posted a legit question, and thanks to those that have responed within the original intent of the topic.

For those that have dragged this into places where it was not intended, or decided to piss on the shoes of our moderators, here is some insight. When u signed up for this forum, your first amendment was 're-amended' to our own forum rules. If you feel you can not live within those rules, LEAVE NOW. Have a nice day.

That being said, if you find no value in this thread, dont read it. If you read it, dont comment unless its constructive, civil and ontopic.

and for those who have decided to challenge the moderators publicly, an action, that if I caught earlier would have had you locked out immediately and permanently, let me give you some solid advice. The mods decisions are not up for discussion or comment. If you dont like what they do, well thats just tough crap. Get over it and yourself. Any further pissing contests with our mods in this thread or anywhere else in the forum, you WILL be removed.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 10-29-2011, 11:04 AM   #168
Cue's Your Daddy
is one Smokin' Farker

Hell, might as well throw my opinion in. I think mista brings up a valid question. Can this just come down to economics. This is from the census bureau.
Although incomes for African Americans have improved significantly since the Civil Rights era, they are still lower then the average Americans. For example the median income for Black families is $20 thousand a year less than the American median income. These charts also prove that there is a substantial benefit for those in a married-couple family no matter what race or ethnicity.
5.5% of African Americans receive public cash assistance which is twice that of the national share. But even more startling, is the fact that 26% of Blacks receive some sort of food stamp assistance. SOURCE:US Census Bureau 2010 American Community Survey

Those are some big numbers. What it shows, or at least in my view, is thats blacks have less money to use for non essential needs. I would consider a bbq contest a non essential need.
With that being said, can it just be a part of up bringing. I would view the views of some blacks with that of my family who where from eastern Europe. The Ukraine to be exact. My fathers family fled the Ukraine to escape communisim. He was born in a displaced persons camp in germany. They then went to Argentina and finally made it to America. They pretty much just packed up and left. When they came to America they had very little money because it wasnt like they sold there houses, you just left. My grandfather actually built the houses that they lived in. When we tell the people from my fathers church, who are old school ukrainians what we spend on contests they gasp. "To cook food" they say. Oh Bozhe they say "oh God' They dont see what the point is. Most of the people who came over from the ukraine worked doing labor. They were builders or worked as janitors, which my family did. There up bringing was to only spend money on necessity. My father see's things a little different. He see's it as a way to spend time with his son's and to spend time as a family. It keeps us together. Church is very important to my family and we are probably one of the few teams who have had there smoker blessed by a priest for good luck. (thats what the priest does for you when you help cook for church picnics) Sorry for the rambling but hopefully it makes some type of scense.

KCBS Certified Judge
Custom built Smoker
Big Green Egg/2 WSM/4 Webber Kettles
Webber Gasser
Cue's Your Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 10-29-2011, 11:22 AM   #169
MilitantSquatter

Doing some reading, I found an article...

http://www.targetmarketnews.com/storyid11011001.htm

Today, BBQ competition is primarily a hobby of middle aged, middle class white americans..and it's a bastardized and/or unrecognizable version of what many people consider BBQ....This perception can certainly change, but that's just what it is today. As with anything else, to get a broader cross section of a population involved, they need to be come both exposed and welcomed.

While incomes are often lighter for many minorities in the US for a variety of reasons, there's still certainly a lot of money being spent . take a look...

I think it's a matter of exposure and personal decision first, economics second.

Estimated Expenditures by Black Households - 2009
Apparel Products and Services
$29.3 billion
Appliances
2.0 billion
Beverages (Alcoholic)
3.0 billion
Beverages (Non-Alcoholic)
2.8 billion
Books
321 million
Cars and Trucks - New & Used
29.1 billion
Computers
3.6 billion
Consumer Electronics
6.1 billion
Contributions
17.3 billion
Education
7.5 billion
Entertainment and Leisure
3.1 billion
Food
65.2 billion
Gifts
9.6 billion
Health Care
23.6 billion
Households Furnishings & Equipment
16.5 billion
Housewares
1.1 billion
Housing and Related Charges
203.8 billion
Insurance
21.3 billion
Media
8.8 billion
Miscellaneous
8.3 billion
Personal and Professional Services
4.1 billion
Personal Care Products and Services
7.4 billion
Sports and Recreational Equipment
995 million
Telephone Services
18.6 billion
Tobacco Products
3.3 billion
Toys, Games and Pets
3.5 billion
Travel, Transportation and Lodging
6.0 billion
Source: Target Market News, "The Buying Power of Black American - 2010"
XL BGE (#2) & Performer Platinum

Former owner: Jambo Backyard, Klose BYC, Lonestar Vertical offset w/ Insulated Firebox, Medium Spicewine, Pitts & Spitts, XL BGE (#1) & (2) Medium BGE's, 22" WSM & (2) 18" WSM's, 18" & 22" Weber Kettles

Last edited by MilitantSquatter; 10-29-2011 at 04:12 PM..
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 10-29-2011, 03:20 PM   #170
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Hance

I got to thinking; over the last 30 years or so, as an adult, what are those things I've done as a hobby that was a competition of sorts. For me, my wife and I bowled in the 80's, then in the 80's and 90's we played tennis and sometimes golfed. More of an individual sport and can get expensive, I did triathlons in the latter 90's and early 2000's. I dont recall many black people participating in any of these. Is this something that is fairly unique to white people, because when living in a very diverse community most of the bowlers (league bowlers) and most of tennis team players, by a LARGE margin, were white. I dont know that I've ever seen a black triathlete.

Meaning, culturally, do black people enjoy competitions and/or sports as a hobby, especially after their 20's?
Was Lang 84DX, now Bubba Grills 250R and many Weber grills
Lake Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-29-2011, 09:26 PM   #171
bam
is One Chatty Farker

I think if you see some one who looks like you will give you the idea you can do it. To see Mo Cason and Neil AKA Bigmista on bbq pitmaster sends a message to want a bees. Neil I believe you will see more teams in the future because of you and Mo.
bam is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-30-2011, 08:34 AM   #172
rookiedad
is One Chatty Farker

here are some thoughts!
1) you could sponsor a bbq team (and perhaps get local buisness owners to sponsor teams) made up of African american students from a local school or group.
2) you could run a recipe or composition competition through such schools and groups where the participant would win an internship position on the Four Qs.
3) you could throw some neighborhood competitions in mostly black neighborhoods. they don't need to be KCBS. just a rib competition or even a sauce competition might be enough to introduce the idea to some folks.
3 WSMs
22" Weber Kettle
Smokey Joe
rookiedad is offline   Reply With Quote