Black people in Competition BBQ

Bigmista

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
I'd like to see more black people in Competition BBQ. Anyone have any ideas on how to make that happen? I think this group of the population is severely under represented. This question is for folks that compete and folks that don't. I really want to hear your thoughts.

You can't make someone do something if they do not want to. Do you know folks who want to compete and are not? If so, why aren't they? Start at the beginning and work from there.

I just started competing this year and I guess I never noticed one way or the other. I understand why you would be asking and please dont misunderstand what I am about to say but I never think of people in white or black or anything. As a matter of fact the only color I have ever worried about was on my meat I am cooking.

hey Mista,
do you find from your experience that most black folks prepare barbeque for themselves or buy it from barbeque places?

This is one helluva loaded question. I guess if I put a purely business hat on two questions come to mind; is there 'demand' to be in bbq competition in the black community, and if there is what are the barrier of entries that are preventing that demand from being fulfilled. I have to be honest, I just don't know the answer to either of those. Here in St. Louis I know there are a couple of black teams, but it's far and away majorily represented by whites. Although interesting to note the only bbq 'food truck' in St. Louis is run by a black couple.

Sorry Neil, I just don't know if anyone will have enough information to really help. The only thing I can think of is there a particular way the black cooking community communicates that you may be able to get some advertisement/word of mouth into to get the idea out there that the competition Q community is a great group of folks and that they may enjoy the competition challenge.

Bigmista,
As a bbq competitor I would like to see more people of all colors, ages, sexes, and socioeconomic groups.
That isn't meant to be politically correct crap, but I want this hobby, sport, or whatever you want to call it to be around for many years. My son is 8, I am 34 and I want this to be something I can enjoy with my son, and something others can share with their special someone.
Not sure if you knew I was running for KCBS board, and maybe you don't care, but I know that reaching out to more people from more backgrounds will only strengthen the KCBS and will make competition very appealing to more people. I have some great ideas about doing this but have good ears and would listen to others suggestions on how to include more people.

I got no answers for ya brother...just didn't want to leave ya hangin'! :becky: All of my black brothers and sisters are already in to comp cookin'...:thumb:

I have talked to a few Neil, most of them like the way they cook, and they aren't inclined to spending the money and effort to produce food for someone else that they might not like. I think in the neighborhood I grew up in, most of the folks didn't have the money for the tools, much less the travel and meat for cooking competitions. Now, a lot has happened since I left Richmond, and there are many folks of color, not just blacks, but, all colors, that do have the wherewithal to compete, I can't comment about them.

Although, I do have a theory, it has to do with two components of the equation. One is that many of my friends families saw BBQ as a social event, or a church event, that was meant to be spent with family and friends, enjoying the compnay, not making it into a sport, or work, but rather meant to be a leisure activity.

Others that I have known that tried it didn't much care for how the BBQ was judged, they knew the product they wanted to produce and had no intention of changing it to fit other folks ideals of good BBQ. That being said, it is dangerous to take any of this as speaking for an entire race of folks.

I will say, that with a few exceptions, in the Chinese and Japanese communities, when you talk about cooking ribs for 6 hours, or brisket for 12 hours, they look at you strange. I think there are just a small handful of us who spend the time. None of my family or friends think it makes any sense what I do. In a sense, this refers to an overarching comment about our individual cultures and what we have come to expect from cooking food. I think BBQ competition has a root in certain cultural traditions and not others.

You can't make someone do something if they do not want to. Do you know folks who want to compete and are not? If so, why aren't they? Start at the beginning and work from there.

That's what I am trying to find out. I don't know of any barriers to competing. I have always felt welcome. I just would like to encourage more black people to compete and enjoy it like I do.

hey Mista,
do you find from your experience that most black folks prepare barbeque for themselves or buy it from barbeque places?

It's funny but most of my customers are white of asian. If I had to depend on the black community, I would starve. I have no idea why that is. I know that they buy it from other BBQ places. I know they do it at home. I just want them to show what they can do.

Seems like a niche market ripe for the sponsors.
I need to submit my resume. Lady of Q, senior black female competing solo seeking more sponsors. Experienced in cooking on WSMs utilizing automatic blower devices, varying wood chunks/bricks and select charcoal choices. I am dialed into social networking and I want to promote competition BBQ for all with a passion for low and slow or hot and fast cooking.

I need to submit my resume. Lady of Q, senior black female competing solo seeking more sponsors. Experienced in cooking on WSMs utilizing automatic blower devices, varying wood chunks/bricks and select charcoal choices. I am dialed into social networking and I want to promote competition BBQ for all with a passion for low and slow or hot and fast cooking.

Seriously, there's a pitch there. Sponsors and media want someone who expands their markets. Black, female, successful,... seems like a possible face of BBQ to me.

Todd's right. Sylvie you could be a marketing machine. Maybe you should run for the CBBQA BOD...

Todd's right. Sylvie you could be a marketing machine. Maybe you should run for the CBBQA BOD...
Yes, I'm retired and no day job, working for an organizatin requires a commitment which I 'm not at a stage to do yet. However, on the competition circuit, I'm game.

My own experience in having a family lake house in East Texas is one of driving past small country houses on Sunday after church let out, and smelling some serious BBQ being cooked -- driving by in my German luxury car on way the back from the store to the lake house in the gated community with a world class golf course.

When I look at competition BBQ on TV, it seems like all I see are teams with brand new super duty pickups towing fancy trailers full of expensive equipment, and I wonder how they can afford to do these competitions. Then it occurs to me, they have lots of money from other endeavors, and the BBQ competitions are mostly for fun -- or ego. And, since they have lots of money to compete with, they have enough money to win with. It's easy to cross home plate if you are starting on third base.

I could be all wrong, but in my 50 years of life, I find that the best way to win in anything, is to have deep pockets to start with. So, there are probably a lot of fantastic BBQ cookers, of all races, who will never show up on the competition circuit, because they can't afford to compete -- and lose.

If you make six-figures at your day job, you can afford to spend money coming in 15th place at a competition.

I think a lot of good cooks don't compete because they just plain can't afford to compete.

CD

That is true. I wish I had the money to compete more but there are some contests that are only $100 or so to enter. And lots of people win with WSM's and UDS's.

That is true. I wish I had the money to compete more but there are some contests that are only $100 or so to enter. And lots of people win with WSM's and UDS's.

And, I bet those little contests are at least as much fun, and probably just as full of good food as the major league competitions.

They may even be more fun, because the competitors know they aren't going to take home big money.

CD

I haven't been to alot of competitions so far, but at the ones I have, there has always been one or two black teams. But I am in southern Louisiana where the black population is pretty strong.

Like Landarc said they are usually down to earth folks who know there Q is good because everyone they know loves to eat it, and they aren't going to compromise their methods to appease judges from a giant sanctioning body that believes in practically forcing competitors to conform to their style of Q.

I would bet if you took a look across the IBCA circuit you would see more black teams.

Back