MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-07-2005, 09:05 PM   #1
FLfishR
Found some matches.

Default Smoking cheese

I smoked some cheese for the first time tonight. It came out pretty good. I used 6 or 8 briquets, then 3 or 4 small chunks of hickory over an hour smoke. It had a little too much smokey taste. I should have used pecan for 45 minutes.
Kajun Kooker propane cooker
FLfishR is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-07-2005, 09:23 PM   #2
MilitantSquatter

Nice !!

Where was your avg temp hovering around ?

I've never got around to smoking cheese but I think about it often every time I pick up some fresh mozzarella at the local Italian market near me.

If I recall correctly from what I read somewhere a while back , you need to wrap it in cheese cloth and the temps need to be in the 140-150 range.
XL BGE (#2) & Performer Platinum

Former owner: Jambo Backyard, Klose BYC, Lonestar Vertical offset w/ Insulated Firebox, Medium Spicewine, Pitts & Spitts, XL BGE (#1) & (2) Medium BGE's, 22" WSM & (2) 18" WSM's, 18" & 22" Weber Kettles
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-07-2005, 09:41 PM   #3
Kevin
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Just bought a wheel of smoked gouda for $7.99 a pound. Gotta learn to smoke cheese.

Old 12-08-2005, 06:37 AM   #4
chad
somebody shut me the fark up.

cheese is usually smoked at below 100 (maybe even below 90) degrees...you are not cooking the cheese - so the smoke is what gets the job done.

Here's a nice tutorial from the virtual weber people...

http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/cheese.html

"It's all about getting paid!" - Myron Mixon
"I love being hated in my hometown!" - David Hair

KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker (RIP), WSM (RIP), Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill (RIP), Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill (RIP), Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker (new heating element),
Pit Boss Tailgater pellet pooper.
chad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-08-2005, 06:57 AM   #5
CharlieBeasley
is one Smokin' Farker

A friend here in cold country smokes cheese and he recommends no higher than 88 degrees and smokes for 4 hours. I like the hickory taste Chad had some in Key Largo. I ask him to try Mozzarella next!
CharlieBeasley is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-08-2005, 08:38 AM   #6
Jorge

Coincidence. A year or so ago I whined that I never get the chance to smoke cheese hear in Texas since it's hard to keep the pit cool enough. I've had some gouda, edam and pepper jack on for almost two hours now. Didn't hurt that it was 19* when the sun started coming up....

Keeping Valspar in BBQ, one cook at a time.

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-08-2005, 09:00 AM   #7
backyardchef
Babbling Farker

Cold smoking is fun and easy...I like to use a hotplate in the firebox with a chunk of pecan wrapped in foil. The chunk smokes a good long time. I rotate the cheese (or whatever we're smoking) to expose all sides to the smoke and let it go until I get the flavor I like. I try to keep the the temp. below 90, myself. I'm not sure if it's my imagination or what, but when I can, I let the cheese sit in the fridge for a day or two before we eat it, and it seems the smoke flavor mellows a bit. In the summer, when it's hard to keep the temp down, I crack the lid with a stick to let some heat out. Works like a charm.

--Matt

The Hampton Smoker Blog: http://backyardchef.blogspot.com

7' Meadow Creek reverse flow w/ a 4' grill on the nose, named Large Marge
48" Klose Backyard Chef named Wubby
Willy the Wonder Grill
Weber Kettle named Georgiette
ECB Spider Web Collector Model
Char-Griller Smokin' Pro Firebrick Supremo
backyardchef is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-08-2005, 09:22 AM   #8
Mark

Name/Nickname : Mark

This comes up every year about this time (just like Christmas carols). The best advice I recall was someone (maybe it was kcquer?) recommending putting the cheese on a rack over the Bandera smoke stack and placing a cardboard box over that.

If its cold and/or windy, I can usually get by just keeping a small fire going, like how I dry my peppers.

A thin line separates paranoia from an acute understanding of reality.
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-08-2005, 09:25 AM   #9
Elkhound
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorge
Coincidence. A year or so ago I whined that I never get the chance to smoke cheese hear in Texas since it's hard to keep the pit cool enough. I've had some gouda, edam and pepper jack on for almost two hours now. Didn't hurt that it was 19* when the sun started coming up....
Definatly a winter time activity here. When average outside temp in the summer is 90* and over it just wouldn't work. Gonna have to try me some this weekend, temps in the 30s.
Elkhound is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-08-2005, 06:40 PM   #10
FLfishR
Found some matches.

The cheese from last night was not as strong tasting today. I still think 45 minutes would be about right. As for temp, it was about 50 degrees outside and the thermometer on the bandera didn't register any change while smoking. I cut my cheese in 1x1x4 inch blocks. If you left it whole it would take longer I think.
Kajun Kooker propane cooker
FLfishR is offline   Reply With Quote