• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Blues Hog sauce on competition meat

Using Blues Hog sauce on competition meat

• Use it now

Votes: 114 63.3%
  • Used to use it but not now

Votes: 25 13.9%
  • Never have used it

Votes: 41 22.8%

• Total voters
As a judge I am seeing it a lot on chicken...maybe sometimes on ribs.

Vote and then tell us why!!!

How encapsulating is "use it now"? Even if it a very small portion of the total end sauce? Lots use it to different ratios. So might need some more voting criteria.

How encapsulating is "use it now"? Even if it a very small portion of the total end sauce? Lots use it to different ratios. So might need some more voting criteria.
Use it now = One drop to full strength and everything in between. :nod:

I have not used it, but, I have seen it used often. And I have seen brisket with it in the dip take first twice. Also seen it on ribs, cut, do quite well.

What's. Blue Hog?
Sorry.

Blues Hog is a line of sauces and rub created by Bill Arnold in Missouri. Bill is a competitor.

The sauce has a distinct flavor and aroma that most folks can identify. It has been used quite often in the Southeast.

The reason I ask the question is that some teams think the use of it has been played out and that due to more teams using it makes their turn in not as unique as in the past.

The reason I ask the question is that some teams think the use of it has been played out and that due to more teams using it makes their turn in not as unique as in the past.

It's certainly not unique any more. Our team has 5 comp classes, and they ALL use Blue's Hog in some form. Judges say they are tired of it, but it still seems to win more that other sauces. I think many teams now mix it with other stuff to get some of that flavor, but doesn't scream "Blues Hog!" to the judges.

First year in BBQ comps... decided not to use Blues Hog out of some silly principle that "everyone uses it so I won't"....

Was struggling in a couple of categories... reluctantly added Blues Hog the last two contests... Walked in the "struggling" categories both contests...

So... forget "principles"... go with what wins.

Back