Large or XL BGE

fingerlickin'

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Ok, so I have a friend who sells BGE's and I'm getting one wholesale! I just don't know if I want the large or XL. I typically will do 8 racks of ribs at a time on my vertical gasser (which is my only smoking vessel right now) or 2-3 butts at a time filled in with fatties just to fill er up. I don't know how much I'm going to be able to do at one time on the BGE large or XL.

I was thinking maybe I could get the large and start the ribs on the BGE and finish them on the gasser or get the large and build a UDS for larger cooks or maybe just get the XL. I would love some advice if anyone has some to share.

BTW in case you didn't notice I am a newbie and yes, I did just introduce myself in the cattle call. If anyone is interested I posted a few of my first pron on there as well.

Peace

Whole sale huh??? I'll take a little of that action neighbor!!
Go look at both of them. I like my Large for my cooks, and would like a second, but I don't know that I would like to an XL - seemd a little too big for my uses. The quesitons is - do you cook those quantities just to make the best use of your cook or are you feeding that many folks?
I am sure the guys with the XLs will chime in here soon.

2 - 3 butts and you would be fine with a large. But for 8 racks of ribs you would need the XL. I'd say get both.

I would get an XL, now I have been wrong before but I believe BGE has redesigned the XL. The Dome is more Egg shaped like the Large. I would be sure to get the newer design if it exists...

I say go with the extra large. You could always get the fire reducing ring to save on fuel for smaller cooks.

Good luck.

BUY BOTH! The XL for big cooks and L for smaller grilling like steaks.

Yo guys I was trying to get an opinion on which ONE to get. I should've known you would say both. That would probably be the right thing to do if I had the dough.

I asked him what he could sell me a WSM for and he said hell with that I'm dropping off an egg at your house pay me whenever. If pay me whenever meant pay me never I would get both. I guess he's been my friend for 35 years so if I want the XL next year I can always do it then.

As far as cooking volume goes I usually just try to fill up the smoker when I get it fired up. I do like to cook for party's at my house maybe 20-30 people max so far. Problem is having to lug the smoker out of the shed and set it up every time. The BGE will have a nice table and be planted right on the deck for easy access so I will be using it more often to cook for the family which would make the large nice. I'm just a little scared of the XL that thing is farking huge it must weigh 300 lbs. My wife might have a conniption if I throw an XL on the deck.

For $200 bucks more though I feel like if I don't get the XL someone should smack me.

Could someone please make me believe I would be doing the right thing getting the large.

I'm going to go against the flow here and say get a Large BGE.

The large BGE (IMO) is a more balanced cooker in terms of fuel/air/chamber moisture/ease of temp control. I cooked on the XL several times and it seems to be more work to achieve similar results. I know lots of guys that have XL's and would say I'm crazy - but after thousands of cooks on a Large, I'm really biased. Plus, the Large has more accessories and is more mobile...save your money for cast iron grate, plate setter and a 3 tier rack...

As always, my .02

Could someone please make me believe I would be doing the right thing getting the large.

I have the XL. Look at it this way, I always prefer to buy more than I need. After you have the Egg for awhile you will figure out different setups that work better for what and how much you are cooking. As an example I use bricks in different ways for building the fire. As mentioned already there are commercial reducing rings that make a smaller fire foot print.

Picture026-2.jpg

Another way I have done it is with an expanded metal Fire basket I made. I found this did not work as well as I planned, to much air surface. A solid sided ring works better. I will be making some out of metal in different sizes.

Picture011.jpg

Buy the Extra large and be done with it. You will not regret the decision.

I don't know how much help this is, but I'm shopping for the BGE right now and a salesman at a good store talked me out of the XL. He said he thought I'd get more use out of the large. Not like a salesman to sell down unless he really believed it.

If I'm honest with myself, I think he's right. Even though I do cookouts for 20-30 people, I cook for 4-8 more frequently. I expect with the ease and efficiency of the BGE (compared to my offset smoker) I'll do smaller smokes more often. I'm also thinking that the three level grate will help out on big parties.

Certainly listen to the folks here with actual experience, but I'm wrestling with the same decision. I'm inclined to stick with the large.

For the quantities of food you're talking about get the XL. All to often I hear about they are just too big but I disagree. I have one of each and the XL gets used twice as often. On another note I also hear the argument the XL uses more lump but I've never found that to be true.

It's true that the XL dome was redesigned so it looks more like the large. Make sure you're getting the new dome and get the XL. I've cooked on the old and new and I own a large. You'll be glad you have the extra space.

Cheers,
Braddog

I would also recommend the XL. The extra space is great when you need it. It is heavy at a bit over 200 lbs, but I don't move mine around that often. Another benefit is the huge pizza stone you can use with the XL.
Here's a pic. That's around a 15-16" pizza.

Attachments

• BGE pizza.jpg
    BGE pizza.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 116
I can't believe you guys have let this get to post 16 without...........Build an UDS!!!

If i had a choice I would get the XL, I have a large and sometimes it's just too small. Good Luck, whichever you pick you'll love it!

Back