Went to Gates BBQ in Kansas CIty yesterday!

LanceM88

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
All I can say is WOW. I used to think my brisket was good, but it just plain sucks after I had theirs. The depth of flavor was incredible. Not overly smoked, and amazingly tender. I could twist my fork and roll it up like I was eating pasta. Truly a great experience. I highly recommend it! Now if I could just figure out how they do it! I can't get my brisket to have that much beefy flavor. Taste to bland. Not sure if it was their rub or what.

Its rubbed, over cooked and chopped with all the fat and au ju.

Never eaten at one of their joints, so I can't comment on their actual Q, but I will say that I just LOVE their Original BBQ Sauce. I was gifted a bottle at Christmas, and really liked it. I've gone through 5 or 6 others since, including ones I used to really like (like Better Than Sex (both Regular and Extra Tingly), but even it pales next to Gates. And compared to the other bottle I was gifted at the same time, Jack Stack? No comparison. I can't understand why it's so popular.

Anyway, I've got 12 bottles of Gates sauce on the way, 8 Original and 4 Extra Hot. Can't wait to try the Extra Hot!

I will say that I just LOVE their Original BBQ Sauce.

I too love their sauce. Their food... not so much. It's a step above or below famous dave's in my prior experience. Too many other great KC joints that I never go there any more when I'm in town.

Gates has a soft spot for me. Growing up, this was the place where I really learned to love BBQ. Their sauce is still my favorite, hands down. The last few times I've been there, though, I just....it's not what I remember. I still go there on occaision, but it's pretty much for the memories I have eating there with my folks. The food just doesn't stand up to many of the other spots in town.

However, it's much better than Famous Dave's, imo.

If you ever get the chance check out Porky's in Grain Valley! It's a Hidden Treasure we have here.

Back