Brisket fat versus Butt fat

Patrick C.

Got Wood.
Reaction score
I made my first brisket on the UDS a few days ago, and it came out great. One thing that was weird was how 'greasy' everything was. The meat was fine, but everything else was coated in a fat glaze. The grease/drippings seemed different from the pork butts I've done- much thicker and stickier, like I could have waterproofed the whole house with this stuff. Is beef fat that different from pork fat, is it because there is so much fat on the surface, or what?

Any knowledge/guesses/drunk rambling welcome. :)

Don't know, but I love them both!!!!!

Fat Rules!!!!!!! You made me hungry for BBQ just talkin' 'bout the Fat!!!!

Thanks!

It's funny but a brisket will coat the inside of the firebox on the BGE with fat and a butt doesn't leave any fat behind at all. After a brisket I have to actually pull apart the 2 ceramic pieces in the BGE for the next cook on it.

the fats are differant. not a scientist and don't really care. but i know for me that i can't take much beef fat until i get queasy. but i can eat pork fat with no problems.

All the fat from briskets I cook in the kettle fills up in my ash catcher but it's darn good stuff. I don't drink it out of the ash catcher by the way.

I, too, am not a scientist, but I kniow exactly what you mean. The two fats do seem to act differently. The beef fat does seem more "sludgey". But, it sure is tastey!!

I have a large disposable roasting pan ($2 at the grocery store) for use as a drip pan so I don't have to clean up a mess. Makes a nice water pan, too...

Yep, more fat in a brisket than a butt, usually.
Here's a formula to determine the amount of fat that will be rendered by any cut of meat:

1.5*(fn(t_o_m)*lb)/toc-(218/tempoc*10)+(hod/aatc) = amount of fat rendered

question.jpg

Well I'm no scientist either, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

I often put a pork butt above a brisket in my cooker and allow the rendering pork fat to baste the brisket, but I have never put a brisket above a pork butt to allow the beef fat to drip down on the pork. Not sure why, but it just seems wrong.

Back