MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-14-2018, 09:03 PM   #1
wah00kid
Got rid of the matchlight.

Name/Nickname : Nate
Default Is my Drum red lined in a bad way?

I got a drum for a UDS. It was from a company that made airplane engine parts and the drum was used to store grease but they put the grease in a plastic liner so there was very little grease in it. I used goo-gone and Dawn to clean it. Before I burn it for the first time I wanted to check on the liner. I think this is some sort of anti-rust spray rather than the food red liner. Anyway here is a picture. Any ideas or tips??

https://www.dropbox.com/s/h6lzx5m43a...13745.jpg?dl=0
wah00kid is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-14-2018, 09:15 PM   #2
WilliamKY
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : William

I've never seen that. I'm an auto worker and my UDS drum also held grease in a heavy plastic bag inserted into the barrel but the wall was clean uncoated steel. I would suggest sandblasting all of that red stuff out before burning.
Weber 26
WGA
Old Smokey Electric.
Go Cards!
WilliamKY is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from:--->
Old 08-14-2018, 09:32 PM   #3
woodbutcher1
is one Smokin' Farker

I don't think that any drum manufacturer will release drums that are not

rust protected on the inside. What looks like shiny bare metal will more than

likely have a Clear Coat rust protection on it. Burn it out.

55 Gal. UDS
30 Gal. UDS
16 Gal. Mini. UDS
Maverick ET-732 & iQue - 110
woodbutcher1 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-14-2018, 10:37 PM   #4
defence18
On the road to being a farker

I had a very similar liner on my "food safe" drum. It is a pain to remove. I burned it out with a weedburner, had multiple fires in it, tried to grind it off, nothing. What finally worked was oven cleaner. Spray the heck out of the inside with oven cleaner and let it hang out for at least several hours. I may have even let it hang in there over night. It took several cans, but I was able to basically wipe away the liner after that. From there, I did another burn to get the oven cleaner residue out, then seasoned.

There's basically two sides to this discussion. One camp says that if it still in tact after a huge blaze, it isn't gonna have any effect on your food. The other camp argues that you don't know chemicals are seeping out of the liner when heat is applied.

Thanks from: --->
Old 08-15-2018, 07:30 AM   #5
Kack
Full Fledged Farker

Hot fire.

Glowing red. if anything is still there it's fine.
Kack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-15-2018, 05:18 PM   #6
Nuco59
Babbling Farker

See if you can make scratches in it fairly easily. If so a good burning will be fine. If it ends up being epoxy, it will be tuff to scratch, burning is not so effective- time to sand blast it.

Old 08-15-2018, 05:49 PM   #7
El Ropo
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Roger

Way back when I started my BBQ forum career, they called that "The Dreaded Red Liner". This red liner is probably the number one reason folks recommend buying an unlined drum. It is a bear to remove.

I recall reading about somebody using a specialty paint stripper product with great success. The oven cleaner idea is also a possibility. If attempting to burn it out, you would want to have your intake holes pre-drilled before the burn, and get that mofo as hot as you possibly can.

2016 Fuji Absolute 2.0 LE (for burning off all the great BBQ)

Last edited by El Ropo; 08-15-2018 at 05:49 PM.. Reason: Format
El Ropo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-16-2018, 09:03 AM   #8
wah00kid

Thanks everyone for the feedback!

Old 08-16-2018, 09:30 AM   #9
wah00kid

Looks like burning, grinding or stripping using oven cleaner or something else are my best options as I called around and couldn't find any sandblasting options.

Old 08-16-2018, 11:55 AM   #10
dgaddis1
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by wah00kid View Post
Looks like burning, grinding or stripping using oven cleaner or something else are my best options as I called around and couldn't find any sandblasting options.
A local powder coating or paint shop likely has a sandblaster. I had a bicycle frame blasted and powder coated for only $100 by a go-cart racing shop that also did some paint and powder work.

Old 08-16-2018, 02:40 PM   #11
wah00kid

Yeah I called the local powder coating place and the guy wanted 100$ for the hour regardless of how long it takes...

I put some oven cleaner on the lid this morning and baked it in the sun for a bit then took my wire wheel on drill a small one not even the one on my angle grinder and had a good spot cleared in seconds.

When I used it without the oven cleaner it did nothing.

So I think if I used the oven cleaner and then got my bigger angle grinder that will take me a while but the only thing I will need to buy is a mask of some sort.