MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ > For the Board

Notices

For the Board *On Topic Only* Strictly moderated. NO BAD KARMA! This forum is for questions and discussions you would like reviewed by members of the KCBS(or other BBQ orgs) Board of Directors. A clean and direct place where they do not have to wade thru day to day chatter.

Old 11-11-2008, 07:34 AM   #1
Merl
Full Fledged Farker

Default ** Bylaw change regarding Family members serving on BOD on November 12 KCBS BOD agenda.

Agenda for Board of Directors Meeting
November 12, 2008
Minutes
Financial Reports
Finance Committee Report—Yearly Board Retreat
MBN update
Contests—Past
Sanction Committee Report
Committee Reports Nominating Committee—Mullane:
Candidates Accepting: Harwell (I), Lohman (I), Whitebook (I), Ashford, Budai, Goycochea
Rules—No Report
Technology—Elections Online, New Scoring Computer Program
CBJ—No Report
Education—No Report
Membership—No Report
Marketing—MMA Marketing Report re Tour,Web, PR, Merchandise, Miscellaneous
New Ideas—Board Makeup, Regional Representation and At Large Board members, and discussion about time for phase in
Contest Reps—No Report
Research & Development—Contest Audit Report Update
Old/New Business—Petition to Amend Bylaws
Request for position on communication from organizer containing religious/political statement
Rep Conduct Question
Table Captain’s Order to presentation to Judges
Other

Merl Whitebook
Secretary KCBS Board of Directors
Merl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-11-2008, 07:38 AM   #2
Merl
Full Fledged Farker

The amendment to the by-laws shown on the agenda, jis asking for a by-law change to prohibit members of the same family from serving on the Board at the same time. This is the same effort which was brought up after Carol was elected by the largest margin of all times.

This is an effort, I would guess to either keep me off the ballot or not allow me to be seated if re-ellected.

If you have an opinion, please let the Bod know how you think. The Board meeting is Wednesday eveing. You can go to KCBS.US and click the link to write to the entire board for or against.

Thank you for you support.
Merl Whitebook
Old 11-11-2008, 07:56 AM   #3
ThomEmery
Babbling Farker

Folks we need to respond once again to this threat to our rights
Email all the BoD members
We can decide for ourselves who sits on the KCBS BoD

Team What Wood Jesus Que?

Www.bbqthom.com
ThomEmery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 08:05 AM   #4
ThomEmery
Babbling Farker

You can email all BoD Members at once click
http://www.kcbs.us/about_board.php

Team What Wood Jesus Que?

Www.bbqthom.com
ThomEmery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 09:16 AM   #5
Bride of Roo(BQ'n)
is one Smokin' Farker

Sent...

Corduroy Pillows are Making Headlines

Operation BBQ for our Troops- Midwest Division
www.operationbbqmw.org
Bride of Roo(BQ'n) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 09:24 AM   #6
Stoke&Smoke
Babbling Farker

Done
KCBS CJ/TC #17139 Member ILBBQS
Too many cookers to list :crazy:
Stoke&Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 10:12 AM   #7
KC_Bobby
Babbling Farker

How many times in one year can the board spend time on the same issue? Why is this such an issue with 2-3 board members?
Proud KCBS Member & Certified Judge

KC_Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 10:29 AM   #8
KC_Bobby
Babbling Farker

Did I hear that Troy is not running for re-election? Is this a go out in a blaze of glory effort on his part?
Proud KCBS Member & Certified Judge

KC_Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 11:48 AM   #9
motoeric
Babbling Farker

Can a mod split this into two threads? The aspect of the by-law change is worthy of it's own thread and will get ignored under the general heading of the agenda title.

Here is the email that I sent to the BoD members:

Hello,

As a member of the KCBS, a CBJ and an organizer of multiple cook-offs including two state championships; I wanted to let you know what my thoughts were on the proposed changing of the by-laws to restrict potential family members from serving concurrently.

If this passes it will have a significant impact on my decision to renew my membership in the KCBS and to support the efforts of the KCBS in the future. In addition, any board member that votes for this proposal can be assured that they will not be getting my vote.

It is incredibly insulting to think that the membership is not capable of deciding who they can and should vote for. It is sad to see attempts to put restrictions in place on who we can and can not vote for to represent us in the Board of Directors.

Let me be clear about where I am coming from. The only member of the Board of Directors that I know and speak with is Linda Mullane. I don’t think that Jerry Mullane plans on running for the Board, so I have no personal bias in this debate. I have never met, nor spoken with anyone currently running for the Board.

Aside from the inherent supercilious message in such a measure, there are logical problems as well. What about people who qualify as common-law spouses? How about domestic partners? What about amiable divorce couples? In-laws? Business partners?

The entire concept is an insult to the membership and flies in the face of what I have come to expect from the KCBS. BBQ is the most egalitarian of hobbies and an attempt to limit who we, the membership, can choose to represent us is just plain wrong.

I realize that you must be very busy, but I would appreciate your writing back to let me know where you stand on this issue.

Thank you,

Eric Devlin

A BBQ Brethren Publication
2 Thessalonians 2:15
Exodus 12:9
motoeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 12:24 PM   #10
jminion
is one Smokin' Farker

When I was voted onto the Board in 2005 within the first hour of the first meeting a letter was read questioning the eligibility of one of the board members who had been reelected. After the letter was read I was called upon to argue the point. In this case, the bylaws stated that a board member could not run for reelection after serving two consecutive terms without taking one year off before running for another term.

After a heated debate, I was called upon to make a motion on how to handle the situation. My motion was to remove the board member that had been in reelected based on the current bylaws and that the board would fill the vacancy. Bunny Tuttle nominated Rod Gray and the board approved a motion.

The difference in this case is that they're asking for a new amendment to the bylaws which should take a vote of the membership to approve, and to accomplish what they are trying it would have to be retroactive to cover this current election.

The subject was brought up in the last election by board members and general members, but was tried to implement without changing the bylaws. In this case the membership did speak by voting Carol onto the board. Not only voting her onto the board which she received the largest number of votes of any candidate.

I have no problem with members asking for amendments to the bylaws but I can see a problem if they were to be instituted retroactively. I believe that would be a dangerous president to set for the future.
WSM
Primos
Klose
couple of Ranch kettles
jminion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 02:54 PM   #11
Merl
Full Fledged Farker

I have had many conversations with Troy about this issue. Troy did not bring the petition forward. The petition is signed by a contest rep from the south whom I know was at the Jack and emailed it to others.

I don't think Troy deserves the criticism on this petition.
Merl
Old 11-11-2008, 02:58 PM   #12
stlgreg
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC_Bobby View Post
Did I hear that Troy is not running for re-election? Is this a go out in a blaze of glory effort on his part?
IN a way this reminds me of the Missouri Vote on Gambling Boats about 10-15 years ago. They just kept putting it on the ballot until it passed.
KCBS Certified Judge #21812
FEC100
1 UDS Smoker
1 Char Griller w/o side fire box
Hog's Wart School BBQ Team
http://www.bbqsaucereport.com (43 sauces and counting!)
stlgreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 03:05 PM   #13
Gowan
is Blowin Smoke!

At the risk of being dog-piled, I'm going to have to take the opposing viewpoint on this issue.

I agree with Jim that any such change should not be applied retroactively, so that any sitting BoD members should be permitted to serve out their terms. Also, I'm personally very grateful for Merl's efforts to bring more transparency to the administration of our organization, and will be voting for him in the upcoming election.

HOWEVER, when dealing with the politically charged environment of a large membership organization like KCBS, it is crucial that steps be taken to eliminate the potential for inappropriate influence upon the BoD as well as the appearance of the same. I understand that many of you see this issue as a personal attack upon Merl and Carol because you know and trust them to represent you. But imagine that three brothers that you've never heard of were elected by a landslide to the Board. Would you be concerned about the possibility of something fishy going on?

I can't speak for others, but for myself this is an issue about operating our Society in a professional manner in keeping with recognized standards for non-profit organizations. If my mother and daughter were both sitting on the BoD I would still support this initiative.

-Gowan Fenley
Cartersville, GA
Gowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 03:17 PM   #14
jminion
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CivilWarBBQ View Post
At the risk of being dog-piled, I'm going to have to take the opposing viewpoint on this issue.

I agree with Jim that any such change should not be applied retroactively, so that any sitting BoD members should be permitted to serve out their terms. Also, I'm personally very grateful for Merl's efforts to bring more transparency to the administration of our organization, and will be voting for him in the upcoming election.

HOWEVER, when dealing with the politically charged environment of a large membership organization like KCBS, it is crucial that steps be taken to eliminate the potential for inappropriate influence upon the BoD as well as the appearance of the same. I understand that many of you see this issue as a personal attack upon Merl and Carol because you know and trust them to represent you. But imagine that three brothers that you've never heard of were elected by a landslide to the Board. Would you be concerned about the possibility of something fishy going on?

I can't speak for others, but for myself this is an issue about operating our Society in a professional manner in keeping with recognized standards for non-profit organizations. If my mother and daughter were both sitting on the BoD I would still support this initiative.

-Gowan Fenley
Cartersville, GA
Based on your scenario I would have to question the manner elections were held. But the reality is, it's hard to get voted onto the KCBS board unless you're known nationally. An outside firm is used to count votes and no member of the board knows the outcome until just before it's announced.

If an amendment is to be put in front of the members for their consideration in the next election I see no problem with that at all.
WSM
Primos
Klose
couple of Ranch kettles
jminion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 03:18 PM   #15
arlieque
Full Fledged Farker

Unless I am wrong the membership would not get to vote on this or any matter as we were cheated out of out votes a few years ago. merl can tell us more about that and the number in the by laws I also remember that the bylaws would be on the KCBS website, are they?
arlieque is offline   Reply With Quote