MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-09-2011, 07:21 PM   #1
btcg
Babbling Farker

Default Technique

Before I start, I want to apologize.

I promised my new Trigg-Gray manual to several of you, and to one poster, I owe a sauce care package. I'll explain.

Over the last six months, my Mom's hubby has become ill. He's eighty-five, a type-one diabetic, and nearly every vital organ seems to be failing, and all at once. Like a cat with nine-lives, he has this amazing ability to cling to life. It's made life busy for me, as I live in
Maryland, and he and my Mom live in Flat Rock Michigan. As the eldest son, my fam has needed me there. But, there's a limit as to how long I can stay each visit: my family here in Maryland needs me too. So, I've had little time to correspond and/or post of late.

Before I continue, let me say this: the Trigg-Gray manual is not available for download. I will be sharing it with associates and friends, but unless I decide to help those of you who post, and seem sincere (as some of you know, I occasionally will provide chapters and in some cases, whole manuals), your only alternative to this knowledge will be to take the classes yourself.

So, at my last post, I was set to take the Trigg-Gray class, which I (and a few other Brethren) completed. With all due respect to Paul Kirk (and a few others, who will also go unnamed), I have now completed what some might call the "Holy Trilogy (Trinity'? To some here, maybe. ;)) of BBQ Schooling": Myron Mixon's JOS Cooking School, and Johnny Trigg and Rod Gray's class.
I'll beat the reader to the punch by answering their question: 'which do you recommend?"

I know this because it's the first question everyone asks when they find out that you've been to all three of them.

The answer? Two-pronged.

If you're an experienced pit master on the competition circuit, or just considering doing comps, I'd recommend the Trigg-Gray class. In addition to being (to me, at least) a legend, innovator, and all-around good-guy, Johnny Trigg is the consummate pro: he can spot the trends, and even evoke one, now and then. He can (and does) tell you exactly how to prepare your meats (yes, this includes how he does his ribs), and what spices and sauces are currently envogue with competition judging.

Rod Gray is no less, and believe me, this guy knows his stuff.

You'll love their families (I got to know Trish a bit better, but Rod's wife is sweet, too), and you'll leave their class ready to cook in a comp.

For any other user (and that can include comp-ready and competing teams), JOS is where you should start.

I'll never forget day two of Myron's class. When you watch this man fine-butcher and prepare a whole-hog, you realize that the man is most likely the best in the world at what he does (even though he uses lighter fluid now and then). Believe me, it's quite an experience.

All of his students reading this are shaking their heads 'yes' right now.

You'll leave Myron's class at least thirty percent better whether you're a comp or a backyard cook. It's that good of a class.

Best bet: do all three classes.

Now, for some Q-Talk requirement talk, I've discovered a Dutch Market within a ten-minute drive. I've been stuck with flats for years, but this market has the most amazing whole briskets. They ain't cheap, and the store is only open three days a week, but I am making some killer briskets these days.

Hope this helps.

Thanks from: --->

Old 08-09-2011, 07:42 PM   #2
Limp Brisket
Full Fledged Farker

Sorry about your Moms husband, he sounds like a real fighter, probably because he loves your Mom so much.

On to the bbq. Please do not share your info, it's not fair to the others that have paid money to learn the “secrets" of those pros. I'd love to know the info but I'd prefer to attend the class as I'm sure most others would as well.

I believe it's not your techniques to share. You did however pay to get this info, and I believe in the First Amendment so do as you choose. Whether I agree or not.

Old 08-09-2011, 07:51 PM   #3
btcg
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limp Brisket View Post
Sorry about your Moms husband, he sounds like a real fighter, probably because he loves your Mom so much.

On to the bbq. Please do not share your info, it's not fair to the others that have paid money to learn the “secrets" of those pros. I'd love to know the info but I'd prefer to attend the class as I'm sure most others would as well.

I believe it's not your techniques to share. You did however pay to get this info, and I believe in the First Amendment so do as you choose. Whether I agree or not.
Hi,

I hope we can agree to disagree. Example: I feel no remorse helping those who are performing charity with their cooking.

I'd wager all three of my teachers would agree.

Thanks from:--->
Old 08-09-2011, 07:51 PM   #4
Boshizzle
somebody shut me the fark up.

Sorry to hear about your SF, bro. You folks are in my prayers.

Old 08-09-2011, 07:57 PM   #5
wheelterrapin
Take a breath!

Great to see you back Bill, nice write up on the classes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by btcg View Post

Before I start, I want to apologize.

I promised my new Trigg-Gray manual to several of you, and to one poster, I owe a sauce care package. I'll explain.

Over the last six months, my Mom's hubby has become ill. He's eighty-five, a type-one diabetic, and nearly every vital organ seems to be failing, and all at once. Like a cat with nine-lives, he has this amazing ability to cling to life. It's made life busy for me, as I live in
Maryland, and he and my Mom live in Flat Rock Michigan. As the eldest son, my fam has needed me there. But, there's a limit as to how long I can stay each visit: my family here in Maryland needs me too. So, I've had little time to correspond and/or post of late.

Before I continue, let me say this: the Trigg-Gray manual is not available for download. I will be sharing it with associates and friends, but unless I decide to help those of you who post, and seem sincere (as some of you know, I occasionally will provide chapters and in some cases, whole manuals), your only alternative to this knowledge will be to take the classes yourself.

So, at my last post, I was set to take the Trigg-Gray class, which I (and a few other Brethren) completed. With all due respect to Paul Kirk (and a few others, who will also go unnamed), I have now completed what some might call the "Holy Trilogy (Trinity'? To some here, maybe. ;)) of BBQ Schooling": Myron Mixon's JOS Cooking School, and Johnny Trigg and Rod Gray's class.
I'll beat the reader to the punch by answering their question: 'which do you recommend?"

I know this because it's the first question everyone asks when they find out that you've been to all three of them.

The answer? Two-pronged.

If you're an experienced pit master on the competition circuit, or just considering doing comps, I'd recommend the Trigg-Gray class. In addition to being (to me, at least) a legend, innovator, and all-around good-guy, Johnny Trigg is the consummate pro: he can spot the trends, and even evoke one, now and then. He can (and does) tell you exactly how to prepare your meats (yes, this includes how he does his ribs), and what spices and sauces are currently envogue with competition judging.

Rod Gray is no less, and believe me, this guy knows his stuff.

You'll love their families (I got to know Trish a bit better, but Rod's wife is sweet, too), and you'll leave their class ready to cook in a comp.

For any other user (and that can include comp-ready and competing teams), JOS is where you should start.

I'll never forget day two of Myron's class. When you watch this man fine-butcher and prepare a whole-hog, you realize that the man is most likely the best in the world at what he does (even though he uses lighter fluid now and then). Believe me, it's quite an experience.

All of his students reading this are shaking their heads 'yes' right now.

You'll leave Myron's class at least thirty percent better whether you're a comp or a backyard cook. It's that good of a class.

Best bet: do all three classes.

Now, for some Q-Talk requirement talk, I've discovered a Dutch Market within a ten-minute drive. I've been stuck with flats for years, but this market has the most amazing whole briskets. They ain't cheap, and the store is only open three days a week, but I am making some killer briskets these days.

Hope this helps.
wheelterrapin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-09-2011, 08:06 PM   #6
bluetang

Name/Nickname : Mike

Good to hear from ya Mon. Hope all is better on your end.
Homey, the Homegrown frier, 22" WSM, 18.5" Elderly(but not retired) WSM,Homegrown Electric, Weber gasserrrr,Weber Performer, Gravity feed smoker, Blackstone, Indisputably Fastest Purple Thermapen, SAI Satay Grill

bluetang is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-09-2011, 08:06 PM   #7
Limp Brisket
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by btcg View Post
Hi,

I hope we can agree to disagree. Example: I feel no remorse helping those who are performing charity with their cooking.

I'd wager all three of my teachers would agree.
Nowhere in the original post (unless I missed it which is always possible) did I see any mention of charity anything, if so I apologize, I'm sure the recipients of a charity cook will enjoy comp BBQ, its great eating...

Old 08-09-2011, 08:18 PM   #8
btcg
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boshizzle View Post
Sorry to hear about your SF, bro. You folks are in my prayers.
Actually my TF (third father) bro. Next trip is August 28th... unless sooner. No way to tell.

Old 08-09-2011, 08:21 PM   #9
btcg
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluetang View Post
Good to hear from ya Mon. Hope all is better on your end.
Thanks bro!

Old 08-09-2011, 08:21 PM   #10
landarc

Well Bill, I am sorry to hear about your family's travails. Good to see you are okay.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-09-2011, 08:22 PM   #11
btcg
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelterrapin View Post
Great to see you back Bill, nice write up on the classes.
Paul,

You know you're special, and I hope you're better!

Your friend,

Bill

Old 08-09-2011, 08:28 PM   #12
Boshizzle

Bill, I owe you my notes from the class too. I know I missed some stuff that I hope you got so I can fill in the holes in my notes.

Old 08-09-2011, 08:31 PM   #13
btcg
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post
Well Bill, I am sorry to hear about your family's travails. Good to see you are okay.
Thank you sir!

Old 08-09-2011, 08:32 PM   #14
btcg
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boshizzle View Post
Bill, I owe you my notes from the class too. I know I missed some stuff that I hope you got so I can fill in the holes in my notes.
Let's hook up this weekend and compare notes.

Old 08-09-2011, 08:36 PM   #15
Boshizzle

I'm judging the MD State BBQ Bash Saturday in Bel Air. Will you be in the area?