High Heat Brisket Flat & Boston Butt on my WSM

High Q

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I picked up a 7# trimmed flat at HEB on my way home last night along with a 8.6# Boston Butt. I lightly dusted the Brisket with TexasBBQRub before I went to bed and put it in the fridge. This morning I got up and gave the brisket a good rub of TexasBBQRub Brisket Blend. I slathered some mustard on the butt and coated it with Brisket Blend too. I filled the charcoal ring on the WSM with B&B oak lump and lit a full chimney to get the show started.

The brisket (it's a little more trimmed than I think optimal it but very flexible, like I have any idea what I'm talking about):

DSC_0594.jpg

Light Dusting of Rub:

DSC_0596.jpg

Fired up the WSM (a couple of hickory chunks and some apple chips around the perimeter):

DSC_0604.jpg

DSC_0606.jpg

I started the WSM with the vents wide open and put the meat on with the grill cold. The butt is in a pan on the top rack. The brisket is on the second rack. No water in the pan, just foil. The smoker came up to temp pretty quickly.

DSC_0605.jpg

A quick summary of the early temperatures:

Lid Gauge/2nd Rack of WSM/Brisket Internal
0745: assembled smoker
0800: 275/205/65
0810: 340/275/91
0840: 305/282/141
0900: 305/297/156

DSC_0614.jpg

DSC_0610.jpg

I plan on foiling when the brisket hits 170ish and letting it go until probe tender. I will finish it out of the foil for 30m to try and firm up the exterior. I'm going to do the same when the butt hit 190-200. I'll let them rest this afternoon and slice them later. I'm cooking them for the freezer so we can make some quick dinners for the kids and ourselved during the week.

I'll follow up with some more photos as this progresses.

--live action update--

The brisket got to 170 at around 2 hours. I pulled the brisket and the butt and foiled the brisket. I switched the temp probe to the butt and will follow up on the brisket in another two hours.

Brisket at two hours, 170ish internal temp:

DSC_0616.jpg

The butt in standby mode waiting to get back on the smoker.

DSC_0617.jpg

Update on the temp chart:

RACK PROBE/MEAT INTERNAL/LID INTERNAL
0745: Assembled Grill
0800: 205/65/275
0810: 275/91/340
0840: 282/141/305
0900: 297/156/305
0930: 304/173/315
0950: 309/137/305 (Probe switched to pork butt)
1025: 317/153/310

I plan on foiling the butt at 160ish. Looks like it will hit right around 3h. I'll start probing the brisket around hour 4. More to come.

looking good! I have to be honest, I have never cooked in a pan before...what are the differences when you cook it in the pan?? I assume you cook it fat side down?

I have never cooked in a pan either. I read about high heat methods and have combined what I read from many on the forum plus a recipe from kicka**bbq.com. We'll see how it results.

I have it in the pan fat side down. I just foiled the pan at 160, the meat is starting to pull away from the bone nicely. I plan to leave it on for another two hours or until it hits 190ish.

I'm all over the HH Brisket cooks, the Pork- still not sure I'm feelin' it yet. I like the sliced butt results I've gotten though. I do like the TexasBBQrub on my eatin' briskets. A lot of times Choice packers are hard to come by and the trimmed Costco flats turn out pretty damn good using the HH.

IMG_1181_1.jpg

Flat huh? Looks like a packer to me, but oh well, could just be the pic. It's looking good!:cool:

At 7# trimmed, I just assumed it was a flat, also because of the thickness. Now that I've sliced it, I'm not so sure. Photos to follow.

how much charcoal do you use on your WSM. I guess i need to ask UDS users the same for high heat. Huge difference between 225-250 and 325-350 in terms of consumption. I would love to try a high heat brisket soon.
kris

....well when we last left our story....

Around 3 hours in, I pulled the butt when it went over 160. Here's a picture of it before I foiled the pan.

DSC_0618.jpg

The bone was already pulling away from the meat pretty well

DSC_0625.jpg

At four hours on the money, I probed the brisket and it had a winning texture. I pulled it from the smoker, wrapped it loosely in foil and towels and put it in the cooler to rest for an additional hour.

I unwrapped and sliced the brisket after an hour's rest:

DSC_0628.jpg

DSC_0629.jpg

I was very happy with the brisket. It had good moisture and great taste. The bark was soft because of the foil but the rub really came through. Texasbbqrub Brisket Blend is a flavor profile I really like.

I pulled the pork butt at 5 hours, it's temperature got to 195 before I pulled it. Here's a shot of it before I wrapped it and put it in the cooler to rest.

DSC_0626.jpg

I'll follow up with another shot or two once I've pulled the pork. I could get used to this high heat thing. My technique needs some more work but I can't complain about the results - or the night's sleep.

Chris - I still think that was a flat. Looking at the slices (and I sliced the whole thing), I see where I think the point was removed and I ran across very little cross grain meat. Maybe it was a brisket with (ahem) a small deckle. :redface: Maybe you can see better in the photos. I'm still not sure.

Suprfast - I put 80% of a bag of oak lump in the charcoal ring before lighting a full chimney of lump to get the show started. The total duration of this cook was 5+ hours and I was losing steam toward the end. I could have probably made 6 hours at 295+ but that would have been the end of the hunt. I was able to hold 300 for 5+ hours with the vents 100% open. I did not have to leave the door ajar.

Just to finish the story

I got the pork butt out of the cooler about 5:30p. I had planned to take it out earlier and pull it but got tied up running errands and such. I pulled it a little over 5 hours after I put it in but the internal temp was still 140ish. The meat was warm & moist.

Here's a photo of the pulled pork (haven't sauced it yet):

DSC_0646.jpg

My helper likes his Daddy's Q:

DSC_0643.jpg

Thanks for the kind comments. Y'all have a good weekend. :-D

I'm a big fan of HH smokes...we're doin' 3 packers and 4 butts this Tuesday for my co-workers. I smoke in the 325-350 range...foil (butts and briskies) @ 160 ish and cooler around 190 for briskies...200 for pullin' pork. I'm thinkin' I need to leave the pork in the smoker till it hits 210 ish for a better pull...:cool: Good job brother smoker! :thumb:

JD - I read quite a few of your posts and Swamprb's too before putting on this cook. I really appreciated having that information at hand when I sat down to give this a try.

I pulled my pork off the smoker in the 190s and when I checked with a second probe it was 207. I got a real nice pull off it and beautiful color. Good luck with the cook for your co-workers.

Great post High Q! I did not know you could do that with the WSM. I must try that in the next few weeks. I suppose it is the no water in the pan that helps get the temp up.

Food looked great.

Back