MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-05-2010, 05:40 PM   #1
SLCMACK
On the road to being a farker

Default Score-need quick answers to cure a pit

I just got home with my new BYC and need to know how to get this thing cured. I was told just to put about a coffee can full of charcoal and let it burn for about an hour? Will any type of oil work? What all do I need to put oil on: grates, inside of doors? Any quick info is greatly appreciated. Thanks, Sean

Old 04-05-2010, 05:44 PM   #2
devious
is one Smokin' Farker

i use cooking spray.. pam or any other brand. or you could use crisco. i just spray it all over

Old 04-05-2010, 05:48 PM   #3
Pyle's BBQ
Babbling Farker

Put oil on everything inside the cooking chamber. Since you said it was a new pit you will need more than a chimney. What was the recommendation from the people where you purchased you pit? Usually it takes a couple hours at 400* to get the oil cooked into the pit .

Yoder YS640; Good-One "Trail Boss" 60T; Weber Kettle rotisserie ring; Big A$$ Rotisserie; New Braunfels offset smoker; Weber Smokey Mountain; Backyard Bombers BBQ HJM

Μολν λαβέ
Pyle's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-05-2010, 06:00 PM   #4
WineMaster
Babbling Farker

I belive that on the Klose website there is a step by step instruction area on seasoning the pits.

Dan

MJH From Backyard Bomber BBQ -- Junior
YS 640 Comp
22.5 Weber Kettle
Blue Thermopen

Comp Team
Wine & Swine
WineMaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-05-2010, 06:05 PM   #5
BBQ Bandit
Babbling Farker

Here's a quik link from the Klose site which explains the initial start-up

Pit Curing

A new BBQ pit should be cured like a new iron skillet. You may chose to rub the inside of the pit with Pam, peanut oil, cooking oils, or even bacon grease left over from bacon cooked on the stove. Then you light the pit with a medium fire, say 220 degrees for those of you with smokers. Choke the smokestack control about 1/2 and let it smoke heavily. A few hours is good, the longer the better. A Pit will cure without oils, but the buildup of the resin base on the doors doesn't seem to hold very well over the years.
I have made maybe 100,000 BBQ pits, noticing the pits seated with oils seem to produce better results. Once again, be careful with green woods. Some will produce very bitter tastes. Please do not ever use green mesquite in a smoker.
I have seen people use moving blankets to retain heat during rain storms, and cold snaps with great success. Another interesting trick, in a grill, is to line the charcoal up in an "S" shape, only lighting the first end of the coals. If done properly, the charcoal should burn "down the line" thus creating a smoker effect, making grilling and smoking much easier.

Former smokers;
Lang 84 Deluxe kitchen, Lang 60 Mobile - The Damsel II, Lang 48 Patio - The Damsel, Bubba Keg Grill - RIP, Double Barrel Smoker and a BSKD
BBQ Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-05-2010, 06:12 PM   #6
big brother smoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

Please do not use lighter fluid after applying oil or ever for that matter!