Alabama Hills "mustard" chicken and ribs

Jonny Rotisserie

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Below is a submission I put together for the current Mustard Throwdown, but have included a few bonus pictures here.

I awoke from my winter’s hibernation to find myself once again back in the Alabama Hills in sort of Southern California (I’m not making that up, it’s where a lot of westerns have been filmed). Rubbing my eyes, I decided to fire up the computer and see what the Brethren were Throwing Down about this week. To my delight, Mustard was the topic du jour. I love mustard. But then I panicked, remembering that mustard was the one thing I forgot to buy on my last shopping trip. What to do? But then I realized that in my sauce cupboard (actually it is a whole filing cabinet drawer), I remembered I had some good ol’ Carolina style mustard BBQ sauce driven all the way from South Carolina.
IMG_2225.JPG

I had a rack of spares just begging to go on the spit. So I started them out with Rib-o-Lator’s Grill Mor rub, with the plan of basting w my mustard sauce later in the cook.
IMG_2227.JPG

I felt like in such impressive surrounding it would be sad to just have a rack of ribs all on its lonesome, and I had a chicken that needed cooking so then it was a question of how to cook the chicken. Then I remembered that I had some mustard seeds in the depths of my spice cabinet, so I went to work making a paste combining them, cumin, garlic powder w parsley, onion powder, onion salt and grated almonds with melted butter and a bit of sun-dried tomato bruchetta.

IMG_2228.JPG

A lemon in the cavity per usual and then off to the rod she went.
IMG_2245.JPG

IMG_2247.JPG

IMG_2250.JPG

I started basting the ribs with the mustard sauce right around here:

IMG_2254.JPG

IMG_2258.JPG

IMG_2259.JPG

IMG_2263.JPG

IMG_2264.JPG

IMG_2286.JPG

My attempt to plate them together just didn’t have the same effect:

IMG_2295.JPG

For what is worth the chicken came out with a real crispy skin and tender meat while the ribs sung of mustardy goodness.

Thanks for looking!

--Jonny Rotisserie

good lookin eats!!! Is that the auspit ??????????

Sticky Fingers, them boys are local! 4.5 miles to my store.

Hey Sammy, great to see a fellow South Cackallackian on here! Dem Sticky Fingers boys make some good sauce. They make for a nice success story with the success of their chain. Maurices Bessinger's had always been a taste of home to me but you can't really find it in stores any more, so I decided to give the Sticky boys stuff a try and I have to say it is a fine replacement.

It is a shame that so much of America misses out on Carolina mustard sauce. Using it (especially on pulled pork) puts a smile on my face every time.

--Jonny Rotisserie

Great looking eats..Did you save some for me?
Rick I wish you could have joined me. In fact I wish all the Brethren could have joined me. It is such a marvelous location that my pictures can't do it justice. And I had it all to myself along with way too much food and booze for one guy to put away. It would have been better to share as I felt I was having too much enjoyment for just one person.

Maybe I should send out an invite ahead of time the next time I head up there...?

--Jonny Rotisserie

looks great Johnnie, the auspit looks like it was having a good time to.

I thought I was done buying cookers after my recent offset purchase (Meadowcreek SQ36 with 2nd tier grate and charcoal pan)....now you have to go and post something so awesome, so amazing, so mind blowing THAT I HAVE TO BUY ONE...thanks a lot Johnny!!!:evil:

Nice post brother, awesome setting. What this place is all about.

Hey Sammy, great to see a fellow South Cackallackian on here! Dem Sticky Fingers boys make some good sauce. They make for a nice success story with the success of their chain. Maurices Bessinger's had always been a taste of home to me but you can't really find it in stores any more, so I decided to give the Sticky boys stuff a try and I have to say it is a fine replacement.

It is a shame that so much of America misses out on Carolina mustard sauce. Using it (especially on pulled pork) puts a smile on my face every time.

--Jonny Rotisserie

Hey now, I live in California and make Carolina mustard BBQ sauce everytime I do a pork butt. I also do mustard slaw to go with. Gotta love it!

Great looking food, beautiful country. Passed by there many a time on the way to the Virginia Lakes a bit further North of there (between Lee Vining and Bridgeport).

Jonny:

Wonderful pix; a million thanks.

Hopefully we will catch up with you again this season.

(Your neighbor at MIS).

Brian

Heya Brian,

Long time no see! That would be great to meet up again. This summer I'm not sure I will be making it east of the Mississippi, but I will keep an eye out for you if I do.

Nice trophy in your Avatar! I need to figure out how to get me one of them.

--Jonny Rotisserie

Back