MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-03-2011, 11:00 AM   #1
TraegerNewbie
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

Default Smoking a Leg of Lamb for the first time

I am looking to smoke a leg of lamb on our Traeger. I have never cooked a leg of lamb and have no clue how to season it or what kind of mop to make for it. I have done different cuts of lamb, chops and steaks, but this is a huge piece of meat and I want to put a lot of flavor into it.
TraegerNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-03-2011, 11:43 AM   #2
h00kemh0rns
On the road to being a farker

Check out the lamb throw down that just took place for ideas: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=101137

Mine I used a marinade and mop for lamb tacos (but could have been used stand alone with side dishes.)

You'll want internal temp of the lamb to reach 140-150* and not any higher IMO.
h00kemh0rns is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-03-2011, 04:17 PM   #3
Skidder
Babbling Farker

If it's bone in I personally would take the bone out and trim it up it's not hard to do. I'm sure you can find it on You Tube or Google it. What you want is a flat even thickness all the way across. Then rub with evoo,garlic,rosemary and salt and pepper. Then I would grill it. You can add smoke by throwing wood on the coals. DO NOT OVERCOOK LAMB!!
Skidder is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-03-2011, 04:40 PM   #4
SmokinAussie
somebody shut me the fark up.

Location: Gold Coast, Queensland! (Finally Escaped Melbourne)
Name/Nickname : Bill

Her's my post on a leg of lamb....

And here is Phrasty's. I think Phrasty's is better IMHO... Either way, you will not be dissapointed with the result.

Cheers!

Bill
SmokinAussie is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 03-03-2011, 04:48 PM   #5
Chef Jim
Babbling Farker

Bill is the expert on lamb, I think mine is better.

I like to keep it simple, rub with garlic and rosemary, cook low and slo, and be prepared to wind up in lamb heaven.

[FONT=Tahoma][SIZE=3][FONT=Tahoma]A veteran is Someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor, and there are far too many people in this country who no longer understand it. Author unknown.[/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

[COLOR=Red][COLOR=Black]
[/COLOR][/COLOR]
Chef Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-03-2011, 07:04 PM   #6
JiveTurkey
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : JT

Thanks Newbie, I was just going to start a thread about lamb when I saw you beat me too it, gracias. I have a leg in the freezer that my aunt gave me. Her kids are in the 4H so I'm interested to see how it compares to store bought. It goes on the smoker on Sunday! Good luck with your cook.
JiveTurkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-15-2013, 09:40 PM   #7
SoCalBarbecue
Found some matches.

leg of lamb was the first thing I ever cooked on my first smoker. IMO it is easier than a lot of other meats because it doesn't get dried out or tough as easily if the temp in the chamber exceeds the target range (the meat however cannot exceed the target temp). In fact I finish mine off with some direct heat over coals to get the bark I am looking for. I usually do a rub consisting mainly of dried rosemary, thyme, Himalayan pink salt, various peppercorns, a few dried chilis all ground up to a fine powder using my mortar and pestle. Then I rub it on the leg the night before. Depending on the mood I am in I may also cover the leg with mustard before putting it on the smoker. That also gives a nice bark. In fact I am getting one ready for tomorrow right now. I will be trying to inject lamb for the first time. Going to use a modified version of thirdeye's injection from the lamb injection thread. If you go the mustard route you def do not need a mop. Also am going to try adding some sweetness today. I have never added anything sweet to lamb before so I am interested to see how it will turn out. I also recommend sandwiches with it the day after. Blue or goat cheese and some onions on french bread.
SoCalBarbecue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-16-2013, 11:30 AM   #8
GARNAAL
is one Smokin' Farker

Talking my leg of lamb roasted on the spit..

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=157716

Old 06-16-2013, 02:03 PM   #9
dadsr4

Relax. A leg of lamb is good with just salt and pepper. It has it's own flavor.

Old 06-16-2013, 03:41 PM   #10
Titch

Name/Nickname : Titch :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadsr4 View Post
Relax. A leg of lamb is good with just salt and pepper. It has it's own flavor.
The op was posted a few years ago, do you think its ready yet.
Talk about Low and Slow

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-16-2013, 04:38 PM   #11
legendaryhog
is One Chatty Farker

Default leg of lamb is my fav on smoker

Lots of good advice here. Nothing takes the smoke like lamb. It is awesome. Bone it out, you can then leave it whole or take the hind end off as a roast for another time. Rub salt, pepper, rosemary, oil and garlic inside and out. Roll up with butcher twine. Can't go wrong. Do not not not over cook.

some say he's dead...some say he never will be.
legendaryhog is offline   Reply With Quote