MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Brethren Road Trips

Notices

Brethren Road Trips The travel logs of our members. Q- joints, restaurants, entertainment, reviews while we travel around the 50 states. Also, Post here for a shout out to members to meet up with while on the road.

Old 05-25-2014, 07:50 PM   #1
5string
is one Smokin' Farker

Default I-26 Asheville to Charleston

Headed out on a 10 day crawl. Judging in Knoxville, TN next Saturday then 4 days at Dollywood to check out the Bluegrass & BBQ festival. Then head down I-26 to judge at Sam's Club in N. Charleston. Any good joints worth stopping at along the way on I-26?

Old 05-25-2014, 08:10 PM   #2
SCRedneckBBQ
Full Fledged Farker

http://bbq.discoversouthcarolina.com..._trail_map.pdf

take your pick
Pit Boss 820D, Pit Boss 340, Chargriller Duo Model #5050 w/ firebox, Homemade box pig cooker, Masterbuilt Square Vertical Electric Smoker

Smoke on!
SCRedneckBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from: --->
Old 05-26-2014, 03:38 AM   #3
5string
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCRedneckBBQ View Post
WOW! Great resource! Someone put a serious amount of research into that.
Any personal experience with any of the ones around Orangeburg? I figured we'll be near there around lunch time.
Old 05-26-2014, 12:06 PM   #4
SCRedneckBBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Dukes is ok...been a while since I have been there though
Pit Boss 820D, Pit Boss 340, Chargriller Duo Model #5050 w/ firebox, Homemade box pig cooker, Masterbuilt Square Vertical Electric Smoker

Smoke on!
SCRedneckBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 05-26-2014, 04:03 PM   #5
5string
is one Smokin' Farker

Thanks for the tip, we'll check it out.
Old 05-26-2014, 06:38 PM   #6
Nugetsius
On the road to being a farker

Hudson's in Lexington is really good. Not a classic old school place but good que non the less. If you feel like going a little out if the way, Jackie Hites in Leesville is an old school bbq joint. He is on the modern marvels bbq tech tv show. And just down the road from Jackies is Shealy's which has ok mustard bbq but the best fried chicken I've ever had.
Nugetsius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 04:09 PM   #7
jawpaul
Full Fledged Farker

I would have to recommend Ridgewood BBQ up in Bluff City, TN. About 20 minutes off of 26 @ Johnson City, TN. This is before you get to Asheville. A very unique style of BBQ. The pork is slow smoked lean hams, that are sliced thin. The sauce is sweet and tangy.

I recommend the pork platter, if there are two of you just ask for them to "split it", it's still alot of food. I'd recommend the slaw over the beans but if you are hungry get a side of beans also. And you have to try their blue cheese dip (order a small).

The slaw that comes as a side is great and has a horseradish tang to it. It is different from the slaw on the sandwiches however.
Beans are good, never sticky or gooey like some styles. I think one of their secrets is a bit of coffee in them for a dark roasted flavor.
Order a small blue cheese, it is incredible, and enough for 4 people.

http://www.roadfood.com/Restaurant/O...ewood-barbecue

Asheville has 12 bones which is very popular and more of a gourmet southern style than authentic que IMO.
Old 05-28-2014, 09:26 AM   #8
carolinacue
Got rid of the matchlight.

Default Luella's BBQ

Luella's BBQ in Asheville has some of the best bbq in the area. They do brisket, chicken and pulled or sliced pork. The sides are ok, not as good as 12 Bones, but the meat is hands down better than the competition.
carolinacue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 07:47 PM   #9
5string
is one Smokin' Farker

Thanks to all for the great info. Headed out in the morning and hope to hit as many as we can.
Old 05-29-2014, 10:12 PM   #10
gtr
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jawpaul View Post
I would have to recommend Ridgewood BBQ up in Bluff City, TN. About 20 minutes off of 26 @ Johnson City, TN. This is before you get to Asheville. A very unique style of BBQ. The pork is slow smoked lean hams, that are sliced thin. The sauce is sweet and tangy.

I recommend the pork platter, if there are two of you just ask for them to "split it", it's still alot of food. I'd recommend the slaw over the beans but if you are hungry get a side of beans also. And you have to try their blue cheese dip (order a small).

The slaw that comes as a side is great and has a horseradish tang to it. It is different from the slaw on the sandwiches however.
Beans are good, never sticky or gooey like some styles. I think one of their secrets is a bit of coffee in them for a dark roasted flavor.
Order a small blue cheese, it is incredible, and enough for 4 people.

http://www.roadfood.com/Restaurant/O...ewood-barbecue

Asheville has 12 bones which is very popular and more of a gourmet southern style than authentic que IMO.
+1 on Ridgewood - and the blue cheese - mind bending stuff! I'm hoping to go there this summer.

Do not go to the Corky's by Dollywood. Or pretty much any other one.

There's a BBQ place in Knoxville called Pup's Pit on Northshore Drive. I ate there a couple years ago and enjoyed it.

You're going to be in some beautiful places - I'm jealous!
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 10:51 AM   #11
5string
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinacue View Post
Luella's BBQ in Asheville has some of the best bbq in the area. They do brisket, chicken and pulled or sliced pork. The sides are ok, not as good as 12 Bones, but the meat is hands down better than the competition.
Thank you Thank You for the recommendation ! Just finished lunch here. We shared a combo plate, the brisket was the star. Also had the Calico beans and chili cheese grits, different but very good.
Thank you again for sharing...