MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-28-2013, 05:33 AM   #1
Pig Daddy
Full Fledged Farker

Default Question: Beef Ribs

I left beef ribs on counter overnight by accident while cleaning fridge. They were left out 8 hrs. and I'd say the room temp was about 70*. Are these still good?
Pig Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-28-2013, 05:51 AM   #2
code3rrt
Babbling Farker

I'd say risky. If they were frozen or cryovaced you might be ok.....but I'm not sure it would be worth the risk, I'd probably toss'em.

KC

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-28-2013, 05:53 AM   #3
Jayblefty
On the road to being a farker

The industry standard in comercial kitchens is, as soon as the meat reaches 41 degrees you have four hours to bring it above 140, or below 40. If you can't make ether of those temps in 4 hours then it is not useable product. I follow this rule in my restaurant, but not always at home. I would eat them. If they were covered well and you plan to cook them now I would say no harm done. You will get them hot enough to be eatable. That is purely my opinion tho. My Wife wouldn't touch them if it was at my house. Which would mean more delicious beef ribs for me!
Jayblefty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-28-2013, 06:18 AM   #4
thunter
is One Chatty Farker

General Rule #1: "When in doubt... Throw it out!"
General Rule #2: "Better safe than sorry!"

Pit Happens!

Smokefleet Command
Lang 48 Patio - "Enterprise"
Weber 22.5 Premium Kettle - "Galileo"
Weber SmokeFire EX6 - “Defiant”
thunter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-28-2013, 07:33 AM   #5
boogiesnap
Babbling Farker

open and smell. if they have an odor, rinse any blood off, dry and smell again. you'll be able to tell.

i'd prolly cook em. but like said above wife wouldn't go anywhere near.

avatar by grillman. patent pending. :mad2::becky:
boogiesnap is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 07-28-2013, 01:19 PM   #6
treytexag

I'd cook 'em. After a low and slow for a number of hours at temp, there will not be any bacteria still alive to cause harm. Of course YMMV, and that's just what I would do - I am not making any recommendations here!!
treytexag is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-28-2013, 03:46 PM   #7
luke duke
is One Chatty Farker

I would cook them.
luke duke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-28-2013, 03:54 PM   #8
buccaneer
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by treytexag View Post
I'd cook 'em. After a low and slow for a number of hours at temp, there will not be any bacteria still alive to cause harm. Of course YMMV, and that's just what I would do - I am not making any recommendations here!!
Be careful.
If you believe heat over time kills all harmful bacteria, you won't be with us for as long as you should be.

Op, I agree with Boogie...your nose is a very efficient piece of equipment, and helped us get to where we are today.
I'd use it.

Old 07-28-2013, 04:37 PM   #9
treytexag

Quote:
Originally Posted by buccaneer View Post
Be careful.
If you believe heat over time kills all harmful bacteria, you won't be with us for as long as you should be.

Op, I agree with Boogie...your nose is a very efficient piece of equipment, and helped us get to where we are today.
I'd use it.

Buccaneer, you might very well be right, I sure ain't no expert food scientist that is fo' sho'!! But I would cook 'em and eat 'em prolly, but that's just me. Now that is unless and of course they were really stinky as suggested by others. At that point, I think my "gross out factor" would over-ride my "hate to throw 'em out - they cost alot of money" urges . . . .

Again, YMMV for sure . . . . At the end of the day, unless "resources" were very tight, the safest thing to do would be toss 'em in the trash.
treytexag is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-28-2013, 04:48 PM   #10
MisterChrister
Quintessential Chatty Farker

If they don't make you sick (which is very unlikely they will), they'll probably be uber tender and extra beefy! Quick aged with enzymes! Take one for the team and report back, they'll probably be your best ever!