MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 06-07-2009, 03:00 PM   #1
Ford
is Blowin Smoke!

Default Wet aging brisket for comps

OK people. If you wet age remember to check them once or twice a week. I figured I had 1 more week on 3 nice ones I was going to use at Auburn Hills. Went to turn them and 2 of the cryovacs had failed. Don't know why but the brisket was still good when I cut them open and checked. So they are now in the freezer and will be used next weekend. And the third one looks fine and is in the fridge for next weekend.

Always check once or twice a week just to make sure. Otherwise you can lose the meat and maybe mess up the next contest because of it.

And I have 3 very nice well aged flexible briskets for the Fort. Good eats for the bikers for sure.

Old 06-07-2009, 04:44 PM   #2
The Pickled Pig
is One Chatty Farker

Good advice.

Do you ever have problems using frozen brisket for comps Ford?

Twitter - @ThePickledPig

CBJ, WSM, UDS Cookers, Weber Gasser, Weber One Touch Gold Kettle,
The Pickled Pig is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-07-2009, 05:25 PM   #3
Divemaster
somebody shut me the fark up.

I'm not worried....
Race Fast, Cook Slow, and Enjoy Life!
If it don't come off a smoker, it's just a side dish!

Lang 60 Patio (The Mistress), Black Stainless Lang 36 (Little Princess), Large BGE (Ramona), Big Green UDS (Cottage Cooker), Brinkman SnP Pro (Little Bubba-Retired), 8 Burner Gasser, 3 - 22.5" & 1 - 18" (circa 1975) Weber Grills, & a Weber Smoky Joe.
Divemaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-07-2009, 08:35 PM   #4
Smokin' Joe
is one Smokin' Farker

Good advice for sure...

Paul I used to worry about freezing briskets, but I quickly grew tired of trying to find quality briskets. So this year I bought a couple of cases of high quality briskets, aged, and froze them. Used two of them so far with a 9th (out of 71) and a 3rd (out of 43) place call. If there is a big down side to previously frozen briskets I can't see it!

Memphis Pro
Backwoods Fatboy
Backwoods Party
Smokin' Joe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-07-2009, 10:54 PM   #5
Just Pulin' Pork
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin' Joe View Post
Good advice for sure...

Paul I used to worry about freezing briskets, but I quickly grew tired of trying to find quality briskets. So this year I bought a couple of cases of high quality briskets, aged, and froze them. Used two of them so far with a 9th (out of 71) and a 3rd (out of 43) place call. If there is a big down side to previously frozen briskets I can't see it!
Point well made! Nice job and thanks for posting this info.
Just Pulin' Pork is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-07-2009, 11:14 PM   #6
KC_Bobby
Babbling Farker

In short, the downside to freezing meat is the possibilities of molecular breakdown as the cells freeze (bust from expanding liquids), thus in theory increasing the amount of moisture loss during the cook. How much damage the freeze does? I don't know.

This is based on information I learned taking the Iowa Barbeque Society Spring Training in 08 held in the Iowa State University Meat Lab. The brisket portion was lead by Steve Bryant of Meadow Valley BBQ, he's an instructor in the Meat Lab. I think he has a Ph.D in something to do with science of livestock processing.
Proud KCBS Member & Certified Judge

KC_Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-08-2009, 11:16 AM   #7
Jacked UP BBQ
Babbling Farker

I do not wet age and never have. I am convinced that it is more risk then reward. For those who do this is good advice.

Ocean County Pig Assassins competition team retired and is now known as Jacked UP BBQ

Fec 750
Fec 100
Large Spicewine
Jacked UP BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-08-2009, 11:34 AM   #8
Smokin' Joe
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC_Bobby View Post
In short, the downside to freezing meat is the possibilities of molecular breakdown as the cells freeze (bust from expanding liquids), thus in theory increasing the amount of moisture loss during the cook. How much damage the freeze does? I don't know.

This is based on information I learned taking the Iowa Barbeque Society Spring Training in 08 held in the Iowa State University Meat Lab. The brisket portion was lead by Steve Bryant of Meadow Valley BBQ, he's an instructor in the Meat Lab. I think he has a Ph.D in something to do with science of livestock processing.
Good to know, interesting stuff. Thanks for sharing

Memphis Pro
Backwoods Fatboy
Backwoods Party
Smokin' Joe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-08-2009, 11:45 AM   #9
Scottie
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I've talked with both Joe and Steve from the ISU meat labs about this topic.... I do not feel that freezing takes anything away from a brisket. I've never had one dry brisket that I cooked that was previously frozen...

Red Jambo one off
FE 100
FEC 100
WSM
Homer Simpson 22 " Weber Kettle
Red 18 1/2" Weber Kettle
Black 26 3/4" Weber Kettle
Scottie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-08-2009, 01:27 PM   #10
The Pickled Pig
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin' Joe View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottie View Post
I do not feel that freezing takes anything away from a brisket. I've never had one dry brisket that I cooked that was previously frozen...
Practical experience trumps theory any day of the week. I have some aged CABs in the freezer and will put this to use at this weekend's contest.Thanks guys!

Twitter - @ThePickledPig

CBJ, WSM, UDS Cookers, Weber Gasser, Weber One Touch Gold Kettle,
The Pickled Pig is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-08-2009, 01:56 PM   #11
musicmanryann
is One Chatty Farker

One thing I learned from NotleyQ was to flash freeze them. The way I understand it is that this prevents the buildup of ice crystals on the surface of the meat, which is what breaks down the cells.

He told me to flash freeze them by making a brisky sandwich with two blocks of dry ice as the bread. Put the sandwich in a cooler and in about a half hour you have yourself a brisky popsickle. Then you can go ahead and throw it in the freezer. I tried it and it worked great!

Thawing properly is also important. The slower you bring it back to life, the better.
CBJ #50801
6 WSM's
2 Weber Kettles
FEC100
2 Backwoods Fatboy
2 Not-so-Ugly Drum Smokers from Gateway BBQ Store
[URL="http://s674.photobucket.com/albums/vv102/Ryannewstrom/Jambo%20--%20The%20Orange%20Monster/"]Jambo -- The Orange Monster[/URL]
[URL="http://www.bigtzbbq.com/#!__main/links"]www.bigtzbbq.com[/URL]
Join our [URL="http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=logo#/group.php?gid=101606657515&ref=ts"]facebook group[/URL]
musicmanryann is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-08-2009, 02:01 PM   #12
Scottie

If it's properly vacuum sealed, how do ice crystals form on the meat? I'm trying to picture that one. I do agree with slow defrosting. I take mine out the Thursday (8 days) before my next contest... So they have lots of time to defrost and I can trim them without them being frozen.

Red Jambo one off
FE 100
FEC 100
WSM
Red 18 1/2" Weber Kettle

Old 06-08-2009, 03:32 PM   #13
Divemaster
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottie View Post
If it's properly vacuum sealed, how do ice crystals form on the meat? I'm trying to picture that one. I do agree with slow defrosting. I take mine out the Thursday (8 days) before my next contest... So they have lots of time to defrost and I can trim them without them being frozen.
Ice crystals do not require air, they require moisture. Just because there is no freezer burn doesn't mean that crystals haven't formed from the water in the blood we've all seen inside the cryo's and inside the meat and meat cell's.
Race Fast, Cook Slow, and Enjoy Life!
If it don't come off a smoker, it's just a side dish!

Lang 60 Patio (The Mistress), Black Stainless Lang 36 (Little Princess), Large BGE (Ramona), Big Green UDS (Cottage Cooker), Brinkman SnP Pro (Little Bubba-Retired), 8 Burner Gasser, 3 - 22.5" & 1 - 18" (circa 1975) Weber Grills, & a Weber Smoky Joe.
Divemaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-08-2009, 04:13 PM   #14
Scottie

So things can form in a vacuum environment? I have never seen that on any of my briskets.

Red Jambo one off
FE 100
FEC 100
WSM
Red 18 1/2" Weber Kettle

Old 06-08-2009, 04:45 PM   #15
KC_Bobby
Babbling Farker

I wasn't trying to start a debate, just simply adding a comment as best I could recall from a class I took. I' don't even know if I agree or disagree with what I heard, I'm not educated enough in meat processing, so I figure they know what can (not necessarily will) happen a whole lot better then I.

As stated, it was based on theories and increased possiblities.
Proud KCBS Member & Certified Judge

KC_Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote