MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 04-09-2009, 01:58 PM   #1
getyourrubonbbq
Take a breath!

Default Turn in Boxes

Curious how many of you do your turn in boxes in advance? And if so, do you have any tips on keeping the lettuce fresh and green while in the box? The reason I'm asking is that I think a couple of folks won't really show at our next comp. so I don't want to be pressed for time during turn in. Any advise would be appreciated.
[URL="http://www.extremebbqtrailers.com"]www.extremebbqtrailers.com[/URL]
getyourrubonbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-09-2009, 02:01 PM   #2
NelsonC
On the road to being a farker

I do my turn in boxes on Friday evening when all the meat prep is done. Once the greens are laid out in the box, I place a damp paper towel over them, close the box and store them in a clean cooler with ice until I'm ready to put the meat in on Saturday.
NelsonC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-09-2009, 02:13 PM   #3
Just Pulin' Pork
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NelsonC View Post
I do my turn in boxes on Friday evening when all the meat prep is done. Once the greens are laid out in the box, I place a damp paper towel over them, close the box and store them in a clean cooler with ice until I'm ready to put the meat in on Saturday.
BINGO that's exactley what I do!
Just Pulin' Pork is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-09-2009, 02:13 PM   #4
musicmanryann
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
A lot of people do this unless they get too busy partying on Friday evening. I wonder if it would be possible though to do it on Thusday evening before leaving home for a comp like trimming so you have one less thing to worry about during the competition. Would the parsley/lettuce wilt or discolor?
CBJ #50801
6 WSM's
2 Weber Kettles
FEC100
2 Backwoods Fatboy
2 Not-so-Ugly Drum Smokers from Gateway BBQ Store
[URL="http://s674.photobucket.com/albums/vv102/Ryannewstrom/Jambo%20--%20The%20Orange%20Monster/"]Jambo -- The Orange Monster[/URL]
[URL="http://www.bigtzbbq.com/#!__main/links"]www.bigtzbbq.com[/URL]
Join our [URL="http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=logo#/group.php?gid=101606657515&ref=ts"]facebook group[/URL]

Last edited by musicmanryann; 04-09-2009 at 02:49 PM..
musicmanryann is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-09-2009, 02:22 PM   #5
getyourrubonbbq
Take a breath!

Not sure..I guess you could shock it to bring it back some. Has anyone used those as seen on TV "Green Bags"? they have them here at my Schnucks, but I hate to pay the price if it's just a colored ziplock.

Old 04-09-2009, 02:54 PM   #6
BBQ_Mayor
is One Chatty Farker

Did them on Friday once. Most the time I'll do them on Saturday about 9 or 10am.
WSM, Whole Hog Lousianna pellet Smoker
IPT pellet Smoker and Gateway Drum
CBJ #4643
BBQ_Mayor is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-09-2009, 02:55 PM   #7
Divemaster
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicmanryann View Post
A lot of people do this unless they get too busy partying on Friday evening. I wonder if it would be possible though to do it on Thusday evening before leaving home for a comp like trimming so you have one less thing to worry about during the competition. Would the parsley/lettuce wilt or discolor?
I'm not sure how you would do that since you don't get your boxes until the cooks meeting on Friday... Are you talking about trimming all the parsley Thursday and bringing it in a bag? I think that would be a mess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by getyourrubonbbq View Post
Not sure..I guess you could shock it to bring it back some. Has anyone used those as seen on TV "Green Bags"? they have them here at my Schnucks, but I hate to pay the price if it's just a colored ziplock.
They are expensive but I've heard good things about them... I just buy a chit load and wrap each bundle in damp paper towels, put them back in the bags from the store, and keep them in a seperate cooler...
Race Fast, Cook Slow, and Enjoy Life!
If it don't come off a smoker, it's just a side dish!

Lang 60 Patio (The Mistress), Black Stainless Lang 36 (Little Princess), Large BGE (Ramona), Big Green UDS (Cottage Cooker), Brinkman SnP Pro (Little Bubba-Retired), 8 Burner Gasser, 3 - 22.5" & 1 - 18" (circa 1975) Weber Grills, & a Weber Smoky Joe.
Divemaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-09-2009, 03:11 PM   #8
Bbq Bubba

Quote:
Ditto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by getyourrubonbbq View Post
YES, wife got some and they work GREAT!
#detroitporkmafia
BBQ Person of the Year 2013
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-09-2009, 03:14 PM   #9
getyourrubonbbq
Take a breath!

Wow! I appreciate the input here. I think I'll buy some of them and try'em around the house first.

Old 04-09-2009, 03:40 PM   #10
QueTPiesBBQ
On the road to being a farker

We prep our turn in boxes on Saturday morning. So far it has worked out well for us that way.

Old 04-09-2009, 04:59 PM   #11
Divemaster

We try to get them done on Friday. My GF does them while I'm getting the brisket & pork ready.

This way if we are running behind on Saturday it's one less thing to worry about.
Race Fast, Cook Slow, and Enjoy Life!
If it don't come off a smoker, it's just a side dish!

Lang 60 Patio (The Mistress), Black Stainless Lang 36 (Little Princess), Large BGE (Ramona), Big Green UDS (Cottage Cooker), Brinkman SnP Pro (Little Bubba-Retired), 8 Burner Gasser, 3 - 22.5" & 1 - 18" (circa 1975) Weber Grills, & a Weber Smoky Joe.
Divemaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-09-2009, 05:52 PM   #12
n-2-que
is one Smokin' Farker

well let's say a Sat and Sunday contest sunday morning like 6am or so will make breakfast then wifey will play with parsley for 2 hrs making boxes you could use for putting greens. then we damp paper towel inside and cooler until we are ready to put meat in the boxes.
Cooker
CookShack- Fec100
BGE - Extra Large with Table
Weber- 22 inch Kettle

Old 04-10-2009, 10:05 AM   #13
chad

Box prep is easy for FBA: no garnish!

Went nekkid on the last few KCBS outings (been a while) and wasn't disappointed with the results either.

When I did garnish I'd keep the lettuce and/or parsley cool. Sometimes I'd clean and bag before leaving for the comp.

"It's all about getting paid!" - Myron Mixon
"I love being hated in my hometown!" - David Hair

KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker (RIP), WSM (RIP), Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill (RIP), Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill (RIP), Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker (new heating element),
Pit Boss Tailgater pellet pooper.
chad is offline   Reply With Quote