Flavor Profile

T

tiehacker

How does one develop and create a flavor profile? What are the basics of this. I hear this term used on TV cooking shows and in BBQ forums.

Lots of practice. And try a couple different flavor profiles each time. Then go with the one u like the best. Just remember its one bit bbq.

Here's a good start for developing a rub.

1 part salt
1 part sugar
1 part mixture of chili powder and paprika
1 part mixture of other stuff(onion, garlic, celery, mustard, herbs and spices etc)

Start out basic and tweak from there.

Flavor profile is not a rub or a sauce. It's everything working in harmony. Our sauce will never win a sauce competition (we know!). However, along with our rub, the smoker, the wood, when we wrap, what we wrap with, etc. creates our flavor profile. We've scored with both babies and spares with this in KCBS.

I also believe it is all the parts creating something greater together as in synergy. So..... it's the connection of the 5 basic tastes working together, not necessarily from the same source. Would I be right in assuming it is like the sweet Kansas City style versus the sour Carolina style etc.

I love this term... I am going to start a BBQ Pitmasters drinking game for season 4. Everytime you hear the term flavor profile, you drink. Every time the competitors says their flavor profile is "a little bit a sweet, a little bit of heat" you drink. By the end of the show, you won't be able to see straight.

I love this term... I am going to start a BBQ Pitmasters drinking game for season 4. Everytime you hear the term flavor profile, you drink. Every time the competitors says their flavor profile is "a little bit a sweet, a little bit of heat" you drink. By the end of the show, you won't be able to see straight.

Sounds like we need to buy stock in liquor companies.

It is something that BBQ people started saying a while back....same with product and process.

it means I am not telling you what I put on my food, but I do want to talk about what I put on my food.

Gotta chug when they say "You really nailed your flavor profile" or something like that.

And have you ever noticed how it all usually tastes pretty much like BBQ when all is said and done?

It's dumb ass. don't say it unless you want to look stupid.

It's as bad as infused.

wise man once say.....to win bbq comp. one must remember it is not what you like but what they like........ :wacko:

flavor profile. *gulp*

flavor profile. *gulp*

flavor profile. *gulp*

hey, this is fun.

Back