Question for gravity feed owners

frankH

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I've gathered most of my materials, and i'm about ready to build my own gravity feed smoker. Before I start cutting, what would you gravity feed owners change about your smoker?

I'm starting with these stainless catering carts. I'll cut one of these racks in 1/2 to use as my main frame.

photo.JPG

The weight is the one thing i would change if i ( could ). By nature gravity feds are heavy. I have a superior ss-2 and basically another one with 4 racks instead of three. The one with 3 racks ofcourse has more room between the racks and i tend to like that more, even though the other has 4 racks. Think large items like briskets and butts, and do use use a rack inside a pan to cook whick raises the height of the items you're smoking so you need alittle clearance. Hope this helps and good luck.

Have any kind of heat diverter plate hinged or removable so that you can clean underneath it.

Figure out how to make a void so the ash will not pile up in the heat tube but instead just fall into the ash pan.

A second ash pan comes in handy also.

Thanks guys. Good stuff.

I have no idea what this thing will weigh, but it'll be heavy. I'm going to add HDPE runners on the back side, so i can tilt it over and slide it into the bed of my truck. In theory atleast.

I was going to make my heat diverter slide into the lowest rack runner. That way i can clean it, and modify if needed.

A second ash pan is a good idea. Maybe i'll size the ash chamber for a foil pan.

Maybe i'll size the ash chamber for a foil pan.

I would go with a steel pan instead of foil pan, 1/2 size hotel pan should work. When you are cleaning a gravity feed smoker you will want a ash pan with some strength.

If your planning to do hot and fast cooking, then I would extend or divert the firebox heat tube (for lack of a better name).My superior tends to let the flame enter the smoking area causing nasty smoke and or grease fire.

Back