Salsa 🌶🌶 Texas List

16Adams

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
We eat a lot of salsa. Our current favorite is Mateos Medium. I’ve also purchased Happy Tomato in the refrigerated section and it was excellent. HT purchased in Dallas not local. Noticed wife purchased a large jar of Sadie’s (Sadie’s is New Mexico not Texas). I’ve seen Clint’s but don’t recall seeing the others on this Texas List. I’ll try to look a little bit closer

https://texasheritageforliving.com/texas-living/top-8-best-texas-salsas/

I’ve kind of avoided Tomatoes & Chile for a few months but getting back into it. I really like a salsa with a bold garlic onion less vinegar taste. In summertime if the salsa garden is making jalapeño, onion, tomato few herbs s&p and a small bottle of Franks blended up is pretty decent. But garden in this part of the world is no guarantee

I have Julio’s Seasoning. Good stuff

I prefer Pace Picante sauce over any salsa.
Mainly because raw onions and I don't agree!
Haven't tried any other picantes. Not many
out there.

I prefer Pace Picante sauce over any salsa.
Mainly because raw onions and I don't agree!
Haven't tried any other picantes. Not many
out there.

Pace is a solid go to. Again we like medium. Some time we’ Buy hot and mild and mix. Reaches Medium+

To me Jar salsa is all pretty mediocre. My favorite of the bunch is Mateos though.

My wife usually makes it fresh, but when we get store bought it's this. I don't know if it's available in Texas.

Bunny brings home 32oz jars of Mateo’s medium from Costco and it is the bomb salsa. Also on our list is Members Mark fresh cilantro salsa at Sam’s Club.

Mrs. Renfro's is the only one I'm aware of, and it is readily available all over ND. Their mango habanero is legit stuff! And I generally hate mango!

I am helplessly, hopelessly addicted to Mrs Renfros habanero salsa. Will have to give the mango variety a try!

Mateo's here as well... starting to sound like the record is broken, huh?

The best store bought salsa I have ever bought is Jack's Cantina Salsa. It's great. I prefer to make my own because I like it a little on the face melting side.

Attachments

• jacks.jpg
    jacks.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 104
I am helplessly, hopelessly addicted to Mrs Renfros habanero salsa. Will have to give the mango variety a try!

If you like sweet heat, you aught to like it. I'm a fan of some other sweeter hot sauces as well.

My favorite store bought salsa is local to me. It's not perfect but it's good. It needs more heat and salt IMO.

Robbi's Salsa
https://northlittlerock.org/register/robbis-salsa/

I make one that's very similar to Robbi's, which is Tyler Florence's basic recipe, but it's easier to buy from the store, add salt, and live with the lack of heat.

My favorite national brand is Herdez. I think it's far superior to Pace. Mild, medium, or hot.
https://www.salsas.com/herdez/products/salsas/salsa-casera-hot/

One of my favorites is from the local farmers market. This farm specializes in heirloom tomatoes, and makes salsa with their less-than-perfect fruit. The hot is a bit too much for me, but we get a mild and a hot to mix.
Might be worth a look when the farmers markets return to normal.

San Juan afterburner is great stuff... comes refrigerated... good slow ongoing real heat. Their whole line is great. Made in Arlington, WA so local to us in the PNW...

I’ve been relegated to 1 door of the fridge for my hot sauce habit... damnit.

Back