Chicken Fried Steak Recipe

I have tried a few times. I have no receipe to share. I just use egg wash with self-rising flour that has salt, pepper and Lowery's seasoning in it. I quit making them cuz I dont have a deep fryer and I dont think they can be cooked properly without one.

I am sure there are a few Brethren and their Mom's in TX that will disagree with that statement!

Never really had a recipe, I worked in a restaurant in college. Season flour to taste. I just use salt, pepper and some onion powder.

Lightly season meat with salt and pepper. dredge meat in flour. then dredge in egg/milk mixture. dredge in flour again. Laugh at your fingers that now look good enough to cook.

Fry up in oil at about 350 to 375.(not your fingers, just wash that mess off)

dredge in seasoned flour, then into an egg and buttermilk wash, then into seasoned self-rising flour.

Then into a cast iron pan with about inch and a half of oil.

This is the recipe for the Reatta restaurant in Texas. It is a well known restaurant in Texas...especially Fort Worth. I have not done yet but looks easy and I can't wait to try it.

Tenderized beef steaks

Flour dredge:
3 cups flour
3 Tbs iodized salt
4 Tbs coarse ground black pepper

Eggwash:
1 egg
1 pint buttermilk
Whisk briskly

Fry in cast iron skillet at 350 degreess. Use peanut oil. About 5 minutes per side depending on thickness.

I use round steak, and season each side with a little flour, salt, fresh cracked pepper...and tenderize the hell out of it. Then dredge in seasoned flour, milk, flour one last time.

Cook in a cast iron skillet with a little oil at about medium. I keep them moving a little to keep the flour from sticking or burning. When the blood starts to come up through the flour it's time to turn them and a nice golden/browned color.

I think I got the basics down, what about the best method for cooking, I've got both cast iron skillet and a deep fryer. Which is best?

Cast iron skillet is better you can make gravey with left behinds, also add some cornstarch to the flour it'll make for a crispy crust

Deep fryer is the best. I would suggest once the steaks have been dreged you put them in the freezer on a sheet pan for 20-30 minutes if you are going to use a fryer.
it helps keep them from sticking to the basket. I have had good luck with iron skillet as well though. The peanut oil is great for it though.

I have to respectfully disagree with Steve. Cast Iron is the only way to go.

It ain't chicken fried unless you have some cream gravy on top of it. pour off most of the grease from the cast iron pan, and then add your flour and milk and make your gravy.....hard to make gravy in a deep fryer. And you'll need the drippings to make good gravy (none of that store bought chit).

Fastball and Mark are correct about the drippings. I void my suggestion on the fryer if you are a gravy master.

I've posted on this topic before. If you are really making chicken fried steak, I think it's helpful to add a little bit of cornmeal into the outter breading so that's crispy. Deep frying is best, but high heat is more important so consider how hot your fryer is relative to a saute pan.

If what you are really after is country fried steak, skip the corn meal, and the only way to cook it is in a skillet or saute pan. I did a post with pr0n on that about a year ago if you wann search for it.

dmp

I've posted on this topic before. If you are really making chicken fried steak, I think it's helpful to add a little bit of cornmeal into the outter breading so that's crispy. Deep frying is best, but high heat is more important so consider how hot your fryer is relative to a saute pan.

If what you are really after is country fried steak, skip the corn meal, and the only way to cook it is in a skillet or saute pan. I did a post with pr0n on that about a year ago if you wann search for it.

dmp

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38411

if anyone's intrested, here you go!

If you've got any thick cut bacon, make yourself some chicken fried bacon as well. Good stuff.

My recipe is similar to the above ones. All purpose flour seasoned, eggwash and seasoned flour again. My twist to really good chicken fried steak is that I use pure lard to fry in an iron skillet at 350. I use heavy cream for the gravy. Very decadent!

I like to use self rising flour and non-fat buttermilk. Coat in flour first, then the buttermilk, then back in the flour. Definately use a cast iron skillet. You gotta have white gravy for true "country" fried steak.

Momma always used a cast iron skillet. She also used fat rendered from other dinners cooked in the skillet, all mixed together. Quite a potpourri of flavor ranging from bacon, pork chile, steak, sausage to hamburger. (I'll never forget the canning jar full of who knows what in the cabinet. :eek:) Egg dreg with milk, salt & pepper. Can't forget to coat in flour & cracker crumbs. When finished cooking, remove half of the burnt "scribbles" (better than candy) & make gravy with the rest of the "scribbles." Ummm!

Cook in a cast iron skillet...

Cast iron skillet is better you can make gravey...

Cast Iron is the only way to go.

cook it is in a skillet or saute pan....
dmp

OK, you guys have spurred me on to try again in my big cast iron skillet!. I bought 48lbs. of lard thinking it was 20lbs. at RD for my Tamales and I need to get it used up before the real hot weather starts in LA. I like the idea of 1 1/2 inchs of lard to cook anything in!

And you are all right, it aint a CFS if it does not have, as Mrs. King use to call it, thicken gravy with lots of black pepper!

Now the question, would you put sausage in the gravy or is that just for biscuts?

Back