Makin Bacon Act 2

DerHusker

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Well it’s been 8 days so today I got to smoke my bacon. I got them out of the refrigerator.

I drained the curing liquid and rinsed them under cold water. (Pepper on the left and maple on the right)

I set my kamado up for indirect cooking and included chunks of both apple and hickory wood. Note: I finally tried the left side for once just to see how it worked. I placed a drip pan under the grate. I included a pan with water and apple juice on the grate over the fire. I placed the pepper bacon on the lower indirect side. (I added some extra pepper to replace what came off during the rinse)

I placed the maple bacon over the pepper bacon on the upper indirect side. I was really getting some nice smoke.

I put the thermometer probes in the smaller of each piece on each level and one on the grate.

Closed it up and started the smoking.

Waiting!

Almost ready.

Done. (Maple on the left and pepper on the right) I put these in the fridge to cool way down to make them easier to cut.

After around 4 hours in the fridge I pulled them out one by one. First was a maple.

The edge wasn’t straight so I squared it up with my slicer.

Sweet!

My first batch was thin cut.

Second was thick cut.

Did I have you thinking I cut these all by hand? Nope! Even with this slicer it wasn’t real easy. The carriage that holds the meat wasn’t long enough for the bacon to sit in length wise. I had to feed it in at a downward angle until it could rest on the carriage and then push it thru the blade.

Wrapping some up for storage.

3 nice packages of thick cut pepper bacon going in the freezer.

And 2 nice packages of thick cut maple bacon going in the freezer.

Of course we tried it. We had bacon & eggs with hash brown potatoes for dinner. These were the end pieces that I saved for immediate use.

This bacon was fantastic. I’m so glad that Costco had these pork bellies so I could try this.

Did I have you thinking I cut these all by hand? Nope! Even with this slicer it wasn’t real easy. The carriage that holds the meat wasn’t long enough for the bacon to sit in length wise. I had to feed it in at a downward angle until it could rest on the carriage and then push it thru the blade.

My slicer passed away recently and what i didn't like about it was that the carriage for the meat wasn't wide enough to take a whole belly. After looking around for a new one I came to the conclusion that all consumer models will be too small for a whole Costco pork belly. Last week when I smoked some bacon i used my Dexter 12-inch Silver Sani-Safe scalloped roast slicer knife for the job and was pretty happy with the resulting slices, which were mainly thin cut. I'm not sure if i'll get another slice unless I can get a bigger carriage somewhere.

Looks great you had me thinking you are really good with a knife. I cut my belly in half to fit my slicer just had some shorter slices.

Looks great you had me thinking you are really good with a knife. I cut my belly in half to fit my slicer just had some shorter slices.
That's the way I do it. My $50 slicer works just fine that way. BTW I smoke my bacon don't cook it in the smoker. The skillet will take care of that.

My slicer passed away recently and what i didn't like about it was that the carriage for the meat wasn't wide enough to take a whole belly. After looking around for a new one I came to the conclusion that all consumer models will be too small for a whole Costco pork belly. Last week when I smoked some bacon i used my Dexter 12-inch Silver Sani-Safe scalloped roast slicer knife for the job and was pretty happy with the resulting slices, which were mainly thin cut. I'm not sure if i'll get another slice unless I can get a bigger carriage somewhere.
Thank you Gary. I could've used my Victorinox slicer but this went so much faster and the cuts were more uniform.

Thank you pci. I'm good with my knives but not that good. I thought about doing that but I wanted the full slices for my first go at this. Next time maybe I'll go that way.

That's the way I do it. My $50 slicer works just fine that way. BTW I smoke my bacon don't cook it in the smoker. The skillet will take care of that.
Thank you captndan. I'm not sure I cooked it but in any case I was just following the recipe. It turned out great no matter what.

Back