• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Bbq in St Louis?

medeloach

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
My wife and I are going on business this week and are wondering where to go for bbq. I figure that the namesake for the cut of ribs must have some awesome bbq. Also, we'd prefer some place that has decent Chardonnay (ie, not Sutter Home). TIA!!!

Pappy's is the big one down town that a lot of people go to. Get there before 12pm to guarantee a full menu. They sell out of stuff before 2pm sometimes.

A good STL chain BBQ is Bandana's BBQ. Not the greatest but still worth the trip.

Only been through there one time and the place I went for BBQ was incredible!!

All I remember was the staff.
They would yell at you in a rude manner. CAN I HELP.

The BBQ was awesome and I never forgot it. If anyone knows the place I'm talking about, please let me know the name of the restaurant!!

Pappy's is my favorite BBQ joint in town but you eat on oversized picnic tables so don't plan a glass of wine unless you sneek it in yourself. I hear Bogarts is also very good but haven't had a chance to eat there yet.

Best 'Q in the Lou is in the backyards - best commercial stuff is Pappy's. The Lou just isn't a great BBQ town like KC or Memphis. Don't make sense with STL cut ribs but that's what it is.

I will second the recommendation from huntin smoke about Bogarts. This is only due to the fact that the man behind Bogarts is Skip Steele who used to be co-owner of Super Smokers. When driving back/forth from California to Ontario, Canada it was always guaranteed that a stop at Super Smokers was going to happen.

Went to Pappys. It was good, despite the 1.25 hr wait in line. The ribs were very good...didn't need bbq sauce at all. The brisket was just so-so IMHO. Woulda been much better with some ice cold beer though. I'll post some pics when I get a chance.

I'm planning a trip to STL in a couple weeks and plan to stop by 17th Street BBQ in O'Fallon. I know it's owned by the legend Mike Mills. I'm curious to know if anyone has been to this location and if they would recommend it or not?

I'm planning a trip to STL in a couple weeks and plan to stop by 17th Street BBQ in O'Fallon. I know it's owned by the legend Mike Mills. I'm curious to know if anyone has been to this location and if they would recommend it or not?

I have been there once, a few years ago.
I have not heard any outstanding reviews.
Seems like everyone wants to go to Pappy's (no connection in any way)

Only been through there one time and the place I went for BBQ was incredible!!

All I remember was the staff.
They would yell at you in a rude manner. CAN I HELP.

The BBQ was awesome and I never forgot it. If anyone knows the place I'm talking about, please let me know the name of the restaurant!!

Your thinking of gates in Kansas City their saying is " hi may I help you "

Went to Pappy's tonight. The ribs had great flavor, atmosphere was really good. I wasn't a big fan of the pulled pork, bland with almost zero bark. To be honest I wouldn't be surprised if the pork was baked with some rub and LS. Overall I would recommend this place just for the ribs. I can't believe they only serve baby's and no STL spares. This is STL! What's up with that? :confused: Oh yeah, the sauces were pretty good too.

Went to Pappy's tonight. The ribs had great flavor, atmosphere was really good. I wasn't a big fan of the pulled pork, bland with almost zero bark. To be honest I wouldn't be surprised if the pork was baked with some rub and LS. Overall I would recommend this place just for the ribs. I can't believe they only serve baby's and no STL spares. This is STL! What's up with that? :confused: Oh yeah, the sauces were pretty good too.

Honestly, the STL cut aren't hugely popular here. Ironic isn't it? Most restaurants around here serve baby backs (for whatever reason) and most spares you eat around town came from some ones backyard pit.

Went to Bogart's for lunch today. I loved the atmosphere, there was a line out the door and Skip was there greeting customers. I was one of the fortunate one that received a rib while standing in line. The ribs were very similar to Pappy's, it had a bit more black pepper to it. I really liked the beef burnt ends lunch special and enjoyed the overall experience. I will definitely recommend this place.

Just give me a heads up and I would cook something up at my Ashmont Outpost..

Pappys is really good - no joke, go as early as possible. If you plan on dinner there, be in line at 5 at the latest if you want anything resembling the full menu.

Back