MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-01-2013, 02:34 PM   #11161
Pasmadj
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outboard Racer View Post
I have built several UDS and have tried different heights as well. They all have had Weber dome lids and the flat ones that came with the barrels. I wish I would have built them like Smokerking did and used shelving racks so you can put your racks whatever height you choose and not stuck with the set you put in with bolts, u -clamps etc.

Todd
Hello. I have seen that concept also, and I think it looks pretty ingenius. My concern is that you have to remove the support brackets if you need access lower than the top rack. So it seems like it would be tough to add coals or water, or switch racks, etc.

Old 08-01-2013, 02:44 PM   #11162
SmokerKing
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasmadj View Post
Hello. I have seen that concept also, and I think it looks pretty ingenius. My concern is that you have to remove the support brackets if you need access lower than the top rack. So it seems like it would be tough to add coals or water, or switch racks, etc.
I've been using the closet rack system in my BUFORDs for a couple years now. One advantage I have is that I never have to access a water pan or coals as I don't use a water pan and my coal basket is accessible from the bottom side.

Whenever I do multiple grates of meats, I usually rotate the ribs, chicken or butts half way through the smoke. It's quite easy to remove the top 3 brackets. Just wear some welders gloves, lift the top grate, remove the top brackets, pull the second grate up, set the top grate down to the lower brackets, install the three top brackets, set the top grate, takes all of about 30 seconds with probe relocations.

How does the lower racks come out on a regular UDS bolted grate system? Do you have to tilt the grate to get them past the bolts or u-bolts?. No tilting required with the closet rack system.

The closet rack system can be bolted to the drum in case you don't have a welder. Plus, I have cut the bracket lengths down to just a couple inches one one drum.
SmokerKing is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-01-2013, 02:47 PM   #11163
gaspipe1
Full Fledged Farker

I have to be honest I have never cooked two butts at the same time. But I also have a weber kettle cover that I would use IF my flat top was not good enough.

I too was stubborn at first, and wanted to use a water pan. It was always a chit show. I moved the smoker one time and water fell into my fire. Trying to fill the pan was always a pain to remove all your racks since i have to tilt my racks to have them slide past my bolts. Then I try'd pouring water into the pan from a picture and spill some into fire. At the end I wud just give up and let the pan go dry. Then like I said, one time I was smoking 3 racks of BB ribs and I saw water drip out of the air intake. And that was when I said this dam smoker don't need any more moister. But don't tkae my word for it, learn the hard way like the rest of us ;)

BTW you also burn through more fuel w/ a water pan.

Quote:
Thank-you very much for the detailed response.

So, you have 5" above your middle rack, and 5 1/4" above your top rack (minus the lid?). Is that enough space for butts on both racks?

I am struggling with the "no water pan or diverter" concept. I am telling myself to just try it out and see for myself. But, indirect heat is so engrained in me, and I can't believe that having coals directly below the meat, doesn't violate the "indirect" concept. Also, many people talk about how the meat cooks faster in a UDS. Does that mean it is more of a high-heat cook, and not low-and-slow?

Have you ever tried just a diverter - instead of the water pan?
gaspipe1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-01-2013, 02:48 PM   #11164
SmokerKing
is Blowin Smoke!

no water pan for me, just a diffuser

Old 08-01-2013, 03:06 PM   #11165
Pasmadj
Got Wood.

Thank-you very much guys. Truly helpful.

Old 08-01-2013, 03:51 PM   #11166
Outboard Racer
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
If I did mine with the shelve rack I would see about using bolts or something cut down to fit in the slots not sure yet. Of course it helps that I can have items made at work in our shop.

For adding coal or water if needed I cut a door on the side and bought the brinkman small latch door. Big mistake as I dont need it. Something I didnt think out to well as I have yet to add coals or use the water pan. But its there if I ever need or want but I wont and can add to each with ease.

Just about home from the last 2 weeks of racing and I will be contacting smokerking on a couple diffsuer plates though.

Todd
Outboard Racer is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-01-2013, 04:05 PM   #11167
SmokerKing
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outboard Racer View Post
If I did mine with the shelve rack I would see about using bolts or something cut down to fit in the slots not sure yet. Of course it helps that I can have items made at work in our shop.

For adding coal or water if needed I cut a door on the side and bought the brinkman small latch door. Big mistake as I dont need it. Something I didnt think out to well as I have yet to add coals or use the water pan. But its there if I ever need or want but I wont and can add to each with ease.

Just about home from the last 2 weeks of racing and I will be contacting smokerking on a couple diffsuer plates though.

Todd
The closet rack guides have pre-drilled and countersunk holes in the rack guides. If you decide to use them, you may have to cut them down, maybe not, depending upon the length you get. Make sure each of the three guides have the same starting point and the slots are at the same spot on each rack or your brackets and grates won't be level.

Old 08-01-2013, 04:08 PM   #11168
N8man
Babbling Farker

For you guys wanting multiple racks this is easy-peasy....

Use big stainless eye-bolts at the lowest rack position...see 'em down there?

Then use 8 inch stainless bolts and fender washers and nuts to make legs on the cooking grates, like this....

Then depending on the height of your DrumPit, you can have as many levels
of cooking racks you want....easy access for pulling racks as you cook...
I can fit 6 racks in mine comfortably...but I usually just use 3-4 at a time...

How I Fire Up That Ugly DrumPit Smoker!!!!
N8man is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-01-2013, 04:14 PM   #11169
SmokerKing
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8man View Post
For you guys wanting multiple racks this is easy-peasy....

Use big stainless eye-bolts at the lowest rack position...see 'em down there?

Then use 8 inch stainless bolts and fender washers and nuts to make legs on the cooking grates, like this....

Then depending on the height of your DrumPit, you can have as many levels
of cooking racks you want....easy access for pulling racks as you cook...
I can fit 6 racks in mine comfortably...but I usually just use 3-4 at a time...

How do you change the heights between racks if you need too? Adjust the four legs attached to the grate?

If so, that would be a PIA, the closet rack guide height can be changed any time before or during the cook in a matter of seconds.

Couple different ways of skinnin the cat I guess.

Old 08-01-2013, 04:36 PM   #11170
N8man
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokerKing View Post
How do you change the heights between racks if you need too? Adjust the four legs attached to the grate?
I don't and never had the need. Every thing I cook fits well between the racks...whole pork shoulders, beef clods, chuck roasts, spatchcocked chickens, whole turkeys, ribs....fits well, cooks well...

Thanks from:--->
Old 08-01-2013, 04:44 PM   #11171
SmokerKing
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
I don't and never had the need. Every thing I cook fits well between the racks...whole pork shoulders, beef clods, chuck roasts, spatchcocked chickens, whole turkeys, ribs....fits well, cooks well...
Well, you do have the "extended version". Most of the UDS'ers in here have the flat lid or at best the WSM lid which limits space and number of racks and clearances.

I swear I've seen some fire baskets half the height of the drum on here. Doesn't leave a lot of space for grates.

Personally, I don't know why anyone would build a new UDS with bolts for fixed grate heights. That was one of the first things I knew I had to change when I started building BUFORD's. Sure, I wanted a cheap, simple smoker that could put out some good BBQ but I also wanted the grate height adjustability dealing with the limited smoking space of the UDS.

I'm not saying the closet rack design I use is the best, I've seen some others, but it is functional and easily adjusts and rotates on the fly between racks of wings, butts, briskets, etc.

Old 08-01-2013, 05:04 PM   #11172
N8man
Babbling Farker

Yeppers, I started with the basic DrumPit...

Then it evolved over time as my cooking needs changed..

The bottom is still the original barrel, by the way...

Old 08-01-2013, 05:15 PM   #11173
SmokerKing
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Yeppers, I started with the basic DrumPit...

Then it evolved over time as my cooking needs changed..

The bottom is still the original barrel, by the way...

you must be a tall sucka?

Old 08-01-2013, 05:21 PM   #11174
Pasmadj
Got Wood.

All of this input is really helping. Thanks!

Old 08-01-2013, 06:22 PM   #11175
N8man
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokerKing View Post
you must be a tall sucka?
kinda...

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker