MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-25-2010, 01:13 PM   #16
KC_Bobby
Babbling Farker

While we've never owned a Fatboy, we have had a Gator which is very similar to a Fatboy (Gator is about 2-3 deeper and 2-3 narrower) We've had a Competitor for 3 years and a Party before that. Obviously happy with them, or we wouldn't have purchased multiple.

T-Man, anything specific you want to know ... feel free to ask and I or someone will answer as best we can.
Proud KCBS Member & Certified Judge

Last edited by KC_Bobby; 03-25-2010 at 02:29 PM..
KC_Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-25-2010, 04:23 PM   #17
butts a fire
is one Smokin' Farker

I agree with everyone before me, I have a Party (actually Kc Bobby's old one) and love it it has an extended charcoal basket and I have no problem getting 8 hour burns on one load of charcoal. I have never used a guru or stoker on it as I see no need it pretty much sets itself at 240-250 and just runs there.

NB Bandera, Webber Kettle, Backwoods Party, Large BGE
butts a fire is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-25-2010, 08:33 PM   #18
Smokin' Joe
is one Smokin' Farker

I have a party and a fatboy and love them both. I like the layout of the fatboy better, seems I can get more meat in it and it hold more fuel and water. They turn out excellent results...fire away with questions!

Memphis Pro
Backwoods Fatboy
Backwoods Party
Smokin' Joe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-25-2010, 09:13 PM   #19
Yazoo's
Knows what a fatty is.

A Fatboy is a shortened competitor, has 5 racks instead of 8. You can cook 4 whole shoulders fairly comfortably, verses cooking 8 in a competitor. That being said the fatboy is a very consistent solid cooker, with better heat consistency top to bottom than a competitor. We use a fatboy for preliminary ribs (Memphis BBQ Network contests) and a competitor for shoulders. Other than the Comp Hog, the Fatboy is my favorite cooker-consistent, great control (we don't use a guru on it-we do on the other 3 backwoods we have), ability to impart as much or little smoke as needed, quick temp control by using amount of fuel and air intakes. Great cooker.
Yazoo's is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-25-2010, 09:38 PM   #20
Big Poppa
is One Chatty Farker

I have a chubby and a party and am loving them both...Im a new dealer (dont worry Im legal here!) and think they cook really nicely
Big Poppa is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-26-2010, 05:54 AM   #21
bander7003
Full Fledged Farker

I have a fatboy and love it. I use a guru with it and have no trouble getting burn times in excess of 12 hours. I've had to re-fuel during a cook only once and that was because I didn't have enough charcol to start with.

Klose 24x50 BYC
Backwoods Fatboy
Weber Kettle
[COLOR=blue]Rock Chalk Jayhawk Blue[/COLOR][COLOR=black] Thermapen[/COLOR]
Weber Gasser (out of gas)
bander7003 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-12-2012, 12:27 PM   #22
Phred
Got Wood.

Default Party vs Fatboy

I am going to be purchasing a Backwoods this spring and I'm trying to decide between the Party & the Fatboy. I mostly cook for my family and a few friends. However I'm getting more requests to cook for larger groups. I have done up to 160 using all my equipment but that totally wore me out running between my UDS, Good-One patio and my kettle.

What are the advantages of the Fat boy over the Party? If this question has already been answered please direct me to the thread and I'll get my answers there.

Thanks for your suggestions,

Phred
Phred is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-12-2012, 02:22 PM   #23
Still Smokin
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phred View Post
I am going to be purchasing a Backwoods this spring and I'm trying to decide between the Party & the Fatboy. I mostly cook for my family and a few friends. However I'm getting more requests to cook for larger groups. I have done up to 160 using all my equipment but that totally wore me out running between my UDS, Good-One patio and my kettle.

What are the advantages of the Fat boy over the Party? If this question has already been answered please direct me to the thread and I'll get my answers there.

Thanks for your suggestions,

Phred
I am looking for the same answer as I want to get a BWS for my next upgrade (It will be used primarily for comps)
Still Smokin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-12-2012, 03:06 PM   #24
cpw
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Chad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Smokin View Post
I am looking for the same answer as I want to get a BWS for my next upgrade (It will be used primarily for comps)
The biggest difference between the fatboy and the party is the height of the smoking chamber. The Party's is 6" or so taller, but the fatboy's is a little deeper and wider (just shy of a fullsize foil pan). The fatboy also has 2" of insulation vs. the Party's 1", and the fatboy weighs about 100 pounds more.

-Chad

PS...you see all the teams cooking on BWS's and getting jealous, eh?
cpw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-12-2012, 04:19 PM   #25
The Cosmic Pig
is one Smokin' Farker

Seems to me that if you upgrade to SS doors, etc, on the Party, you might as well buy the Fatboy because the upgrades are already there and there's not much difference in the price at that point. The BWS site says you can cook 16 butts in the Fatboy, and 8 - 10 in the Party, so you do gain a lot of capacity.
[B]WSM 18.5[/B]
[B]Weber One-Touch Gold [/B]
[B]Smokey Joe Silver[/B]
The Cosmic Pig is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-08-2013, 12:22 PM   #26
IvanC
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

I'm looking at the Fatboy too. Looks like it needs a stand to be more usable. Has anyone here built a stand for it?
Backwoods Fatboy (six rack, 180 doors)
IvanC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-08-2013, 05:35 PM   #27
cpw
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Chad

Quote:
Originally Posted by IvanC View Post
I'm looking at the Fatboy too. Looks like it needs a stand to be more usable. Has anyone here built a stand for it?
Search the forum for "fatboy cart" and you should find a couple, I know Andy Bangs (abangs) has some pics of his. Here's a pic of the cart I built.
Yoder YS640
Savannah, GA
Yes, Dear BBQ on Facebook
Proudly sponsored by Royal Oak Charcoal and The Atlanta BBQ store
cpw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-08-2013, 06:28 PM   #28
abangs
is one Smokin' Farker

Here you go. Some fatboy PRON. Fatboy.....such a cool name.......I told my wife once that I just got a new fatboy....she was excited.....for short time....

So, some technical difference:
Fatoby: 2" insulation, stainless doors, perm water pan, commercial fire box, 17.5 tall, 20 wide, 20 deep.
Party: 1" insulation, powder coated doors, removable pan, standard, 25 tall, 16.5 deep and 15.5 wide.

If you want, you can pimp a party out with commercial fire and stainless doors, but you might as well buy a Fatboy at that point. Fatboy is worth the money.

Down side to a fatboy, it is short if you are a tall guy and really needs a stand. Upside, it is loaded out of the box. You can also change shelf confirations based on application. Here are two. 1 basic 4 shelf set up. 1 with 6 shelves evenly spaced (rib machine). Custom carts are nice.

For pics, that is a 16 lb untrimmed packer with a lasagna pan and 4 shelf set up (4.5" spacing) and the other one is a 6 shelf set up w/ upgraded 180 doors. The custom cart is a design very similar to CPW's.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG00062-20101017-1218 (3).jpg (22.6 KB, 391 views)
File Type: jpg Fb on cust stand.jpg (43.4 KB, 389 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0100.jpg (50.1 KB, 381 views)
abangs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-08-2013, 06:32 PM   #29
abangs
is one Smokin' Farker

Party PRON for comparision.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg butts on party.jpg (42.8 KB, 377 views)
File Type: jpg chubby ribs3.jpg (56.2 KB, 374 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0008.jpg (33.9 KB, 375 views)
abangs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-08-2013, 11:13 PM   #30
T-Man
is one Smokin' Farker

I started this post about three years ago... Just to let everyone know I went with a Med. Spicewine , a little while back . The Spicewine is great , build quality pound for pound unmatched ! BBQ is great , easy clean up , good steady temps . Oh and did I say
Great BBQ !

Backwoods is also a great smoker , Hard choices to make .... Good BBQ...

Peace out , and yours in BBQ ,
T-Man

Thanks from:--->