MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-06-2013, 04:49 PM   #1
Bigbux58
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Kingsford :(

Used kingsford for the first time this weekend... I had been using royal oak on my newly built uds. Ask the soon to be wifey to pick up some charcoal, and I suggested kingsford blue since I've only used lump.
In testing it, i had all the vents open and it barely got above 300. lump well over 450. The only thing I will say was better is it held temp better, but it smoked a lot more (white). Didn't smell that good, tons of ash.
I better find a way to make it work... I have 40lbs of this dirt.
Oh well... It's better than gas I guess.
Bigbux58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 05-06-2013, 04:53 PM   #2
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

I use Kingsford in my UDS and kettle, other than the initial heat up, no problems. It will never get as hot as lump, but, 400F should be possible in a grill. White smoke is incomplete combustion, let the charcoal heat up.

The biggest problem is ash build up, that stuff will clog vents in no time.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 05-06-2013, 05:43 PM   #3
Teamfour
is Blowin Smoke!

I only use lump in my UDS. It seems to burn hotter than KBB. Conversely, I only use KBB in my Backwoods - lump burns too hot and fast.

Smokin-n-Style BBQ Team - Pitmaster
Lagniappe Chili Team - Head Cook
KCBS CBJ
Teamfour is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-06-2013, 05:46 PM   #4
Bludawg

Use it hot to kick off the minion method with lump in your UDS. or Buy a dutch oven.

Old 05-06-2013, 06:56 PM   #5
williamj
Full Fledged Farker

Kingsford will throw white smoke at first, but then settle down. I wait until the white smoke is done and the temp is right to put my food on.
williamj is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-06-2013, 07:09 PM   #6
Garrett
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bludawg View Post
use it hot to kick off the minion method with lump in your uds. Or buy a dutch oven.
^^^+1

Old 05-06-2013, 07:10 PM   #7
Big M1ke
is one Smokin' Farker

I stopped using Kingsford. I'm almost exclusively Stubb's.

Old 05-06-2013, 07:17 PM   #8
16Adams

The Old Blue is getting ragged on pretty good. So I am going to come to the defense of the Kingsford. Buy the Competition grade Kingsford.
It really is good stuff. Kind of like them childhood lessons, if you can't say something nice etc etc etc.

Beer Please

Old 05-06-2013, 07:23 PM   #9
Carbon
is One Chatty Farker

My UDS basket always contains a mix of KB and lump. But I always start the minion using KB.

Old 05-06-2013, 07:28 PM   #10
Mrpotamus
Knows what a fatty is.

The problem with KBB and the minion method is that new coals are constantly being lit. Therefore, a fair amount of that white smoke and start up smell lingers throughout the cook. That has been my experience, anyway. I used KBB to season my UDS, and that is that last time it will grace my fire basket.
Mrpotamus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-06-2013, 07:37 PM   #11
Carbon
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrpotamus View Post
The problem with KBB and the minion method is that new coals are constantly being lit. Therefore, a fair amount of that white smoke and start up smell lingers throughout the cook.
In the basket new coals are constantly being preheated from above before igniting, therefore they shouldn't produce white smoke.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-06-2013, 07:48 PM   #12
Johnny_Crunch
Babbling Farker

I use it in my UDS all the time. Works fine...........

Old 05-06-2013, 08:11 PM   #13
mtbchip
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Chip

Exclusively lump. Kingsford smells bad as in stinky.

Old 05-06-2013, 08:15 PM   #14
flyingbassman5
is one Smokin' Farker

Seriously, why does everyone freak the fark out when there is a hint of white smoke??? As long as you aren't puffing away like a freakin' Powerstroke with a bad turbo you will be just fine. Thin Blue is desirable BUT a bit of white smoke isn't going to completely ruin your meat. Keep it all thin smoke, regardless of color, and you'll be just fine.

As for Kingsford, I use it for grilling burgers and dogs only. And usually only buy it when the 40lb double pack is on sale.

Old 05-06-2013, 10:18 PM   #15
Grain Belt
is one Smokin' Farker

Kingsford blue is extremely consistent fuel. I use it almost all the time. I had two bad bags of Royal Oak a few springs ago. The must have been stored on a warehouse floor because they did not seem to come up to full temp. I have since used more at friends places and it was very good. Long story short, the blue has never let me down for over twenty years. It is not showy but I know it well. It reminds me of Jim Beam bourbon and Grain Belt beer. They might not be trendy but they are a great product that always gets the job done.
Grain Belt is offline   Reply With Quote