MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-02-2013, 10:17 AM   #1
Hook_Line_and_Sinker
is One Chatty Farker

Question Does, a UDS + 3 Rebar + some hooks = a PBS ?

For those that own both, what are the differences between a UDS and a PBS ?
Would a simple set of mods to a UDS give you a PBS ?
Does a PBS yeid different results than a UDS?
If modding a UDS does provide you with a PBS, what cooks would you hang PBS style, and what cooks would you use a cooking grate for ( UDS style )?
I guess the end results of this mod would be called a UDPBS...

Or would it be best to buy a PBS or build a clone?

Viking 30 inch Gravity Fed Charcoal Smoker
Brinkmann 5 burner gas grill with sear & rotisserie
UDS's 3 and growing
Char Griller w/SFB w/mods
Orion Cooker
Charbroil 7000 Gas Grill
Hook_Line_and_Sinker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-02-2013, 10:58 AM   #2
farklf
is one Smokin' Farker

are you pushing buttons this early in the morning?!
farklf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-02-2013, 11:08 AM   #3
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

The only difference I see is a PBC is the design it has 1 2" intake and it exhausts where the re bar goes through the sides at the top of the barrel. The intake is open full during a cook. So it cooks Hot & fast. Go to the website and watch a few cooking vids. It shows it in action. I think a UDS can be easily modified to work the same.

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-02-2013, 11:35 AM   #4
code3rrt
Babbling Farker

There was an interesting thread about this in the last few days, if you can find it, it was informative and somewhat entertaining.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=149518
Found it.

Old 01-02-2013, 01:06 PM   #5
jrn
Full Fledged Farker

I've no doubt it's a fine product. Patiodaddio and others have vouched for it. Good enough for me. I believe them.

The price looks fair enough, but I just can't afford it! Plus I prefer to have on the fly intake adjustments.

Since I prefer to build my own smokers anyway, I will be building one! My first uds works awesome, and I have no doubt I can build something comparable to the PBC style. It has definitely peaked my interest. :)

Old 01-02-2013, 02:03 PM   #6
Will work for bbq
Babbling Farker

I don't think there is to much difference to where you cant build a hybrid, I have a new drum right now that I was planning on making a hybrid. My sisters BIL has been cooking in a drum for years that I always figured it was a UDS until I saw it in action. No intake down below the only exhaust was the air gap the rebar created (just laid across the top for hanging the meat). I was surprised how well they cooked and with no idea what temp they were running just dump in a bag of K blue and get all the coals burning.

Agent 000 (Double O Zero)
Certified MOINK Baller

When all else fails just ask yourself, WWGALD???
Super sexy Farkernaut Avatar by N8man

Will work for bbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-02-2013, 02:19 PM   #7
jrn
Full Fledged Farker

Now that's interesting! Thanks for sharing.

Old 01-02-2013, 04:56 PM   #8
flyingbassman5
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by code3rrt View Post
There was an interesting thread about this in the last few days, if you can find it, it was informative and somewhat entertaining.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=149518
Found it.
I posted a couple times in this thread basically explaining your question in one post. All my opinion of course, not fact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hook_Line_and_Sinker View Post
For those that own both, what are the differences between a UDS and a PBS ?
Would a simple set of mods to a UDS give you a PBS ?
Does a PBS yeid different results than a UDS?
If modding a UDS does provide you with a PBS, what cooks would you hang PBS style, and what cooks would you use a cooking grate for ( UDS style )?
I guess the end results of this mod would be called a UDPBS...

Or would it be best to buy a PBS or build a clone?
But so you don't have to find it, and since you asked, you could sorta make a PBC with a standard drum. It would be more a UDS with rebar and with the option to adjust temperature. I think a lot of people don't realize that the idea behind the Pit Barrel is to be easy, efficient, and set and forget. Its designed to not need to be adjusted or messed with intake or temperature wise. Good for someone that wants the efficiency of a UDS but doesn't want to mess with temps or build a UDS.

IF you were to build a clone, your best bet would be to use a 30 gal drum instead of a 55 gal. The 30 gal size uses less charcoal, cooks hotter, and radiates heat more evenly than the 55 gal.

The way I think of it with my pits is this-
PBC= hot and fast smoke, 300*-325*, great for poultry and when there is less available cook time for things like pork butt (4-6hrs vs. 12-16hrs).
UDS= true low and slow smoke, 225*-250*, great for the long haul when time allows.

Hope that helps.

Old 01-02-2013, 06:47 PM   #9
jrn
Full Fledged Farker

I'm curious...if the intake is set, how can it possibly cook at the same temps during the winter months as it does during the summer months?

Old 01-02-2013, 07:32 PM   #10
---k---
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrn View Post
I'm curious...if the intake is set, how can it possibly cook at the same temps during the winter months as it does during the summer months?
It doesn't. I asked Patiodaddio something similar.

I don't see why it couldn't be cloned easily. But, I also think they are charging a very fair price. A better comparison would probably be a WSM, since they are both commercial products and about same exterior dimensions.

Proudly Smoking on a UDS, PBC &
Accidental Winner of the 2012 "Saucy" Throwdown.
---k--- is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 01-02-2013, 09:07 PM   #11
flyingbassman5
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrn View Post
Well it cooks in the 300-325 range. With the cold it will run a bit cooler just like any pit. Yesterday when I cooked on mine I used about 1/3 of a basket of lump to make up for the 20 degree weather.

Thanks from: --->