• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Chinese BBQ Pork (Char Siu) & Wok Veggies w/Pron

R2Egg2Q

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Last night we had a nice meal consisting of Char Siu (Chinese BBQ Pork) and wok stir fried baby bok choy and snow peas.

On Friday night I picked up these primary ingredients:
IMG_7088.jpg

I prepared a marinade consisting of: sugar, apple cider vinegar, black pepper, ginger powder, garlic powder, hoisin sauce, salt, soy sauce, green onion, and a little red food coloring. I sliced the boneless pork butt into strips, set them into the marinade and put it into the fridge overnight.

Yesterday I set up the XL Egg by filling a lump reducing ring with lump, placing a foil covered pizza stone on top of a triangle hanger, and setting drip pan and grill on top. Using cherry and peach wood for smoke, the pork went onto the Egg:
IMG_7089.jpg

After smoking for 3 hours at 235-260 I pushed the temps up to about 300 and a few minutes later had these ready to pull from the Egg:
IMG_7092_800.jpg

The grate, drip pan, and pizza stone were removed giving me access to the triangle hanger:
IMG_7094.jpg

My brand new carbon steel wok went into the hanger and into it went some peanut oil, baby bok choy, and snow peas for a stir fry:
IMG_7101.jpg

IMG_7102_800.jpg

I then went to work on slicing the char siu:
IMG_7105.jpg

IMG_7107_800.jpg

It all went onto a platter and placed next to steamed rice and some mandarin oranges (believed to bring good luck):
IMG_7109.jpg

IMG_7112.jpg

IMG_7132_800.jpg

The meal made for a nice little early Chinese New Year celebration for us!

How about a little more information and pictures on your WOK srtup. I am not quite sure I understand all that I see....goes with the age.

How about a little more information and pictures on your WOK srtup. I am not quite sure I understand all that I see....goes with the age.

Sure. The triangle hanger is a product made by The Ceramic Grill Store. Detailed info & purchasing info on it and the wok can be found here. The lump reducing ring I mentioned is also made by the same manufacturer but it isn't really needed for the cook (I was just saving lump).

The hanger hangs down from the fire ring to allow a wok or cast iron grid to be placed closer to the lump for really high heat. They make these hangers for the XL ("triangle hanger") and Large (called a "spider") Big Green Eggs.

The wok is their carbon steel wok. It seems pretty well built. It took me about an hour to clean off the smelly oil (probably machine oil) and season it over our gas range. I don't really have experience using a wok but my wife gave me some pointers and we both enjoyed the veggies!

Outstanding and very nice call on the traditional use of the butt, instead of a tenderloin or strip loin piece. It looks like you nailed it.

The Asian cooks that have been done here of late are just amazing. Yours is every bit as good. I'm just knocked out by them all! SUPER job!!!!!!!

I wish we could buy char siu that looks that good, it has been years since we could, even at the better places in San Francisco or Oakland. The funny thing to me is that John had to buy the hoisin and a new wok to cook this, since I would have thought he had it already. :becky:

Outstanding and very nice call on the traditional use of the butt, instead of a tenderloin or strip loin piece. It looks like you nailed it.

Well, I do listen to my dad every once in a while! :heh: He's told many times to look for pork butt with some decent fat for char siu.

I wish we could buy char siu that looks that good, it has been years since we could, even at the better places in San Francisco or Oakland. The funny thing to me is that John had to buy the hoisin and a new wok to cook this, since I would have thought he had it already. :becky:

Thanks Bob! Yeah, I was a little surprised that we didn't have any hoisin sauce on hand and the wok, well, my wife has a wok but it has a long handle and won't fit in the Egg. It is taking her a while to see that I can cook dishes on the Egg that she's accustomed to cooking on the range or in the oven. My next round of convincing her will be a Lemon Chicken throwndown between her (cooking in an oven) versus me & the Egg! We'll use identical preparation & ingredients and really only differ on where it's cooked. She's been talking trash but I will prevail!:whoo:...or at least I better win.

Ooo, Virtual ly see, now there is a concept, way cool for the elders. Not so much for the little ones.

Back