MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 11-14-2008, 08:56 AM   #1
Nature Boy
Full Fledged Farker

Default Comp Brisket Sauce

Howdy yalls. Not been able to post much since I signed up, but lookin forward to hangin' out here more as I get more desk time.

Been wanting to start a thread about brisket sauce. I like the fact that this forum is more willing to talk about competition details than others. Our team has settled in nicely with every thing we do for three categories. But we've been bouncing around like a superball on brisket sauce for 5 years. The last "brilliant" sauce we have used since Wildwood (where Steve YankeeBBQ tried our brisket and said he didn't like the sauce....but it was the first place brisket). So we stuck with it (despite what Steve said) and it was hit or miss from then on. Then we entered it in the sauce category at the Jack and were second from last. The base of the sauce is reduced beef broth, and it is a pretty subtle sauce...with some tomato, and not real sweet. Think it's time for a change.

This winter I want to work on a new sauce, but wondered.....what do you look for as far as a flavor profile for brisket sauce (if you use it)? Or maybe you use a bottled sauce?

Thanks in advance for your responses!!
Chris
Nature Boy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-14-2008, 09:00 AM   #2
Sledneck
is one Smokin' Farker

A1 mixed with aujus
The poster does not take any responsibility for any bad feelings or sense of exclusion that the reader of this post may have-whether real or imagined. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster of this thread would like to also remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.[/B][/COLOR][/B]
Sledneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-14-2008, 09:05 AM   #3
Nature Boy
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledneck View Post
A1 mixed with aujus

Store bought au jus, or juice from your brisket??

Never liked A-1, but then again I have not had it in 20 years, and never mixed it with anything.

Thanks mang!
Chris

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-14-2008, 09:11 AM   #4
DC
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledneck View Post
A1 mixed with aujus
Sledneck

Have you had success using this in competition? I presonally like A1 & aujus but have been reluctant to try this in competition.

Thanks

DC
DC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-14-2008, 09:12 AM   #5
PatioDaddio
Babbling Farker

Chris - I have been using my pulled pork sauce thinned with a mixture of beef stock (not broth) and worcestershire sauce. I also add black pepper and a little cayenne to kick it up a couple notches. My scores and walks have increased big time since I started doing this, but who knows if it's the sauce.

I lightly sauce the back of each slice and so that the flavor of the sauce is there, but it doesn't mess with the appearance. I also sprinkle just a smidge of rub on the sauced side of the slice.

I hope this helps,
John
PatioDaddio is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-14-2008, 09:15 AM   #6
Nature Boy
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatioDaddio View Post
Chris - I have been using my pulled pork sauce thinned with a mixture of beef stock (not broth) and worcestershire sauce. I also add black pepper and a little cayenne to kick it up a couple notches. My scores and walks have increased big time since I started doing this, but who knows if it's the sauce.

I lightly sauce the back of each slice and so that the flavor of the sauce is there, but it doesn't mess with the appearance. I also sprinkle just a smidge of rub on the sauced side of the slice.

I hope this helps,
John
Thanks John. I like the idea of giving it some heat. Our pork sauce is really sweet though. Is yours as well?
Thanks again!
Chris

Old 11-14-2008, 09:27 AM   #7
Sledneck
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nature Boy View Post
Store bought au jus, or juice from your brisket??

Never liked A-1, but then again I have not had it in 20 years, and never mixed it with anything.

Thanks mang!
Chris
Juice from the brisket

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC View Post
Sledneck

Have you had success using this in competition? I presonally like A1 & aujus but have been reluctant to try this in competition.

Thanks

DC
Rarely finish outside the top 10 in brisket
The poster does not take any responsibility for any bad feelings or sense of exclusion that the reader of this post may have-whether real or imagined. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster of this thread would like to also remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.[/B][/COLOR][/B]
Sledneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-14-2008, 09:29 AM   #8
PatioDaddio
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nature Boy View Post
Our pork sauce is really sweet though. Is yours as well?
Yeah, it's pretty sweet, but it also has that vinegar tang to it. Think of it as a cross between Blues Hog original and Tennessee Red, if you're familiar with the taste of those.

As a quick experiment, get some KC Masterpiece Sweet & Tangy and try this:

1 cup KCM
1/4 cup beef stock (you can also use Campbell's Beef Consomme straight from the can)
2 Tbs Worcestershire
2 tsp Black pepper
1/8 tsp Cayenne

Bring just to a light boil, remove from the heat and let cool.

This will get you really close to mine.

John
PatioDaddio is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-14-2008, 09:35 AM   #9
Big George's BBQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : George

I was using one that I received over the internet. Did really well with it @ New Holland. Did horrible @ Dover. My family wants to go back to a sauce I have been tinkering with- not done yet. They said they liked that better. I like some sweetness and some heat to my sauce.
Big George's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-14-2008, 09:36 AM   #10
lunchlady
is one Smokin' Farker

hi chris! good to hear from ya!

we used to make our own brisket sauce, in the beginning, but we weren't very good at brisket AT ALL back then, so we decided to just buy a good sauce and work on technique/cooking. That seems to have worked out pretty good I guess. :>

BUT... we, too, are re-thinking our game plan for next year's brisket sauce. We want to make our own again.

We don't 'oversauce' our brisket either, only the top before we cut it.

Happy Off-Season!
[URL="http://www.nebs.org"][I][FONT=Century Gothic]www.nebs.org[/FONT][/I][/URL]
[I][FONT=Century Gothic]2 Backwoods Partys [/FONT][/I]
[I][FONT=Century Gothic]WSM, 2 Weber kettles, Weber Performer[/FONT][/I]
[I][FONT=Century Gothic]Large BGE[/FONT][/I]
lunchlady is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-14-2008, 09:44 AM   #11
Nature Boy
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatioDaddio View Post
Yeah, it's pretty sweet, but it also has that vinegar tang to it. Think of it as a cross between Blues Hog original and Tennessee Red, if you're familiar with the taste of those.
John
I am familiar with the sauces and the blend, and I have them both. I'll give this a try. I am not much of a whatsdischere sauce fan either. But I can see where it might work with the combo you mention. I do plan on trying a ton of different concoctions.

Thanks again mang! I think I'm gonna like this forum.
Chris

Old 11-14-2008, 09:48 AM   #12
Nature Boy
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunchlady View Post
hi chris! good to hear from ya!

we used to make our own brisket sauce, in the beginning, but we weren't very good at brisket AT ALL back then, so we decided to just buy a good sauce and work on technique/cooking. That seems to have worked out pretty good I guess. :>

BUT... we, too, are re-thinking our game plan for next year's brisket sauce. We want to make our own again.

We don't 'oversauce' our brisket either, only the top before we cut it.

Happy Off-Season!
Great to see you here as well. Seems like just a couple weeks ago...oh yeah it was! Anyways, yeah, your brisket was right on at the Jack. Glad I got to try some! Next year, god willing, we'll both be in the same spot, and I'll get the nerve to dig into the magic cooler!
Happy off-season back atchyall.
Chris

Old 11-14-2008, 10:17 AM   #13
Jacked UP BBQ
Babbling Farker

I use bbq sauce with a homemade stock, heavy on the beef, onions and garlic, very thin and peppery. (very thin consistancy) We do decent in brisket unless we fark up the tenderness.
Jacked UP BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-14-2008, 10:27 AM   #14
ique
is Blowin Smoke!

Wow! A real live thread on competition cooking, imagine that.

I'm not a big fan of beef broth or stock as a finishing sauce (maybe as an injection though). You should already have plenty of beef flavor going on, so I find it to be flat addition. I'm looking for contrast. Also like the sauce to be thin and hot (temperature wise). Try a standard BBQ sauce like head country thinned with water and then perked up with fresh ground black pepper, MSG, and maybe a couple whacks of hot sauce.
ique is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-14-2008, 10:28 AM   #15
Podge
is One Chatty Farker

i pretty much rely on the smoke, rub and injection for the brisket, and VERY thin coat of head country on there just so it's "sauced"
Podge is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brisket, flavor profile