MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-04-2014, 12:25 AM   #31
Know Bull
On the road to being a farker

Don't use cast iron or aluminum containers to cook acidic dishes (e.g. vinegar or other acids). It will discolor the dish and discolor the pans. The acids reacts with the metal. Use stainless or porcelain for acidic dishes.
If it is not acidic, then cast iron is the best way to cook things that you need a pan for on the grill or smoker (e.g. baked beans, etc.).

Cast iron pans should be hand washed with mild detergent after use (don't leave them sitting around). Then dried in a warm oven. When dry, take a touch of oil and a paper towel and "re-season" the inside of the pan, and put beck into the warm oven for a few minutes.
Drying the pan and oiling it will keep it from rusting.
As far as the bacteria thing discussed, I cannot argue....
But for those of us old enough to remember, our mothers used to not scrub the cast iron really hard, because they wanted to leave the natural "seasoning" in the pan from the cooking process. The cast iron was clean, but certainly not spotless.
Just saying, I never had food poisoning....

Old 01-04-2014, 07:55 AM   #32
Kloogee
Full Fledged Farker

I use my enameled Dutch oven for baking breads, cooking roasts, and making soups/stews/chili.

For a great and crazy easy bread, give this a try: http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/08/dining/081mrex.html
Kloogee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-04-2014, 10:28 AM   #33
lcbateman3
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBrisket View Post
^^^I'm looking at CD's post and noticed he's using the enameled type in the Kettle with charcoal. How does the coating/color etc hold up on those with that type of use?

I've seen those at Sam's too. Just may need to bite the bullet and do it. Especially in the winter months, nothing like just tossing something into the DO and let the CI and the oven do its thing. Plus........you heat the house up at the same time!
Bob,

Ours has held up very well, no fading of color or any changes to the coating. We actually have two of them, both came from Sams club. We use ours quite a bit on the kettle and/or WSM. Great clean up and makes some mean carnitas!

You only fail if you do not try.
lcbateman3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-04-2014, 11:05 AM   #34
J-Rod
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57borntorun View Post
Cast iron houses bacteria and potential off flavors when liquids are introduced and porcelain not.
I think a better point to this would be to say that CI requires some periodic maintenance and porcelain does not. I don't get any off tastes from my CI because I use it regularly and keep it seasoned. If you don't, you will get off/rusty tastes. Porcelain requires no maintenance, but its limited in durability when compared to CI. Both have their strong and weak points, but the housing bacteria point is moot because it gets cooked off anyway. Besides we prolly eat more bacteria just from kitchen surfaces alone than you'd find in a CI pan.

Old 01-04-2014, 12:00 PM   #35
Tricky
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShencoSmoke View Post
If your looking check costco (Kirkland). Got one for Xmas, havnt used it yet but it is heavy and was affordable.
I bought the Costco one a few years ago, and its great. Performs just like my mother in law's La Creuset and is a fraction of the price.
Rec Tec with bull horns -- UDS (Big Blue) -- 2 Weber kettles -- Weber gasser -- DCS outdoor stainless built-in nat. gasser with smoker box and rotisserie -- Dutch ovens a-plenty -- bright yellow can't-lose-me Thermapen
Tricky is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-04-2014, 01:17 PM   #36
elvis67
Full Fledged Farker

I do know that if you cook okra in a plain cast iron pan the okra turns a greyish color . Having a enamel coated pan eliminates that reaction and I think would be advantageous when cooking higher acid dishes.

Old 01-04-2014, 01:22 PM   #37
caseydog
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShencoSmoke View Post
If your looking check costco (Kirkland). Got one for Xmas, havnt used it yet but it is heavy and was affordable.
FYI, I've been told by several people that, even though Lodge regular CI is made in USA, the enameled stuff is "outsourced."

I believe the Kirkland enameled CI is American made.

If that matters to you, you may want to dig deeper.

CD
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-04-2014, 01:26 PM   #38
caseydog

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBrisket View Post
^^^I'm looking at CD's post and noticed he's using the enameled type in the Kettle with charcoal. How does the coating/color etc hold up on those with that type of use?
Any soot that accumulates just wipes right off. I just do my usual soap and water wash.

On that particular cook, I sautéed the veggies in that DO over direct heat, and moved to indirect heat to cook at 350 for over an hour. No problems.

CD

Old 01-04-2014, 01:45 PM   #39
caseydog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky View Post
I bought the Costco one a few years ago, and its great. Performs just like my mother in law's La Creuset and is a fraction of the price.
I've seen the Kirkland CI, and have heard great things about it. I already had three sizes of Le Crueset, or I would have bought the Kirkland.

I have a Le Crueset outlet store close by. All my pieces are factory seconds. Don't ask me what the flaws are, because I couldn't find any flaws.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBellyBBQ View Post
Enamel can not and will not heat evenly, nor can you get a sear like cast iron.
If this is referring to enameled CI, mine heats as evenly as bare CI, and I have no problem getting a good sear. I don't notice any cooking difference between my Le Crueset and my Griswold -- and bare CI doesn't get much better than Griswold.

CD

Old 01-06-2014, 09:02 AM   #40
Mugsterdad
Knows what a fatty is.

Awesome thread guys! Thanks for all the feedback!!!

XL BGE
WPS
UDS
Maverick ET-732
Mugsterdad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-06-2014, 09:45 AM   #41
57borntorun
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Rod View Post
I think a better point to this would be to say that CI requires some periodic maintenance and porcelain does not. I don't get any off tastes from my CI because I use it regularly and keep it seasoned. If you don't, you will get off/rusty tastes. Porcelain requires no maintenance, but its limited in durability when compared to CI. Both have their strong and weak points, but the housing bacteria point is moot because it gets cooked off anyway. Besides we prolly eat more bacteria just from kitchen surfaces alone than you'd find in a CI pan.
My original intend was to point out the science between the two for the OP.It would be irresponsible to not point out the differences.I have many CI pans and pots and they serve their intended purpose.I dont cut raw proteins on wood either.But I guess that`s another topic for another thread.Science is a wonderful thing Brethern...embrace it.

Old 01-06-2014, 10:18 AM   #42
Tonybel
Babbling Farker

I use mine outside also. It was red. It now starting to look black all around.

Old 01-06-2014, 12:35 PM   #43
Rodbolt
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

My Kirkland signature coated CI is made in France, looks and works as well as the more expensive French brands.

I used bare CI for years but since trying quality enamel the bare just stays on the shelf.

Old 01-07-2014, 09:07 AM   #44
Johns1959
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

I have a bare metal 8 qt CI Dutch Oven handed down from my great-great grandmother and several raw metal CI spiders (with feet) of various sizes I use for camping. I would love to have an enamel coated one someday but either way your CI DO is great for many dishes. I use the DO for any and all of the following:

Indoors:
- Red Beans & Rice/White Beans/Pintos
- Hoppin' John
- Black Eyed Peas
- Gumbo (or anything that requires a roux)
- Soups, Stews, and Stocks
- Scalloped Potatoes
- Braising (tough cuts of beef/flank steak/country ribs)
- Deep Frying Fish & Chicken
- Roasting Tender Meats (Whole Chicken/Pork Loin/Beef Roast)

Outdoors (camping or on my grills/smokers):
- All of the Above
- Baking Biscuits/Rolls
- Baking Sweet Rolls
- Dump Cake
- Cobbler

Really the sky is the limit. Your CI DO is very versatile and will last several lifetimes if you take care of it.

Regards,

John
Johns1959 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-07-2014, 10:50 AM   #45
dadsr4

To me, the value is that you can move from the direct heat to indirect in one vessel. For example, here is yesterdays dinner. Onions, garlic and such were browned in it over direct heat, then the whole thing went into the over. It was the only pot used.